Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Genocide

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 150 Contributor
Male
753 Posts
Points 18,750
Jeremiah Dyke posted on Tue, Jan 25 2011 10:01 PM

If i may use the term genocide in both cases here i would like to know if the majority of genocides have been both the elimination of women and men or men. I know both occur regularly, but what is the most common form?

Read until you have something to write...Write until you have nothing to write...when you have nothing to write, read...read until you have something to write...Jeremiah 

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 150 Contributor
Male
753 Posts
Points 18,750

Here is an interesting note i found in my research on the topic

Killing both men and women tend to be embodied by chimps and wolves whereas killing only the men tend to be embodied by lions and gorillas. 

Read until you have something to write...Write until you have nothing to write...when you have nothing to write, read...read until you have something to write...Jeremiah 

Top 75 Contributor
1,189 Posts
Points 22,990

^I don't understand, please explain.

Freedom has always been the only route to progress.

Post Neo-Left Libertarian Manifesto (PNL lib)
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
3,739 Posts
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Tue, Jan 25 2011 10:30 PM

If i may use the term genocide in both cases here i would like to know if the majority of genocides have been both the elimination of women and men or men. I know both occur regularly, but what is the most common form?

What do you mean? If they occur regularly then give us some examples of each.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Male
753 Posts
Points 18,750

Of the documented genocides there are those like Nazis-->Jews/Poles/Gypsies.  Jews--->Ukrainians, Australians--->Aborigines/Tasmanians, Hutu--->Tutsi, etc. where both women and men and infants were killed. There are other cases still labeled genocide where only men were killed and women were taken as spoils of war for example Brazilians---> Indians, Paraguayans--->Ache Indians, Europeans--->American Indians

My question was which of the two forms is most common? In terms of those actually killed i would assume the genocide of men and women out numbers the killing of just women. 

Top 75 Contributor
1,434 Posts
Points 29,210

Killing both men and women tend to be embodied by chimps and wolves whereas killing only the men tend to be embodied by lions and gorillas. 

Do you know why that is? I wonder if it has something to do with the pheromones present.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
753 Posts
Points 18,750

Do you know why that is? I wonder if it has something to do with the pheromones present.

I think it has more to do with territory range and mate supply. Gorillas tend to occupy larger areas of territory and and travel in small packs of 1 males 2-4 females and babies.  Chimps on the other hand, tend to practice polygamy on a large scale. When ovulating, female chimps may have as much as 5-10 males partners within a matter days. I'm not sure if the same restraints apply to lions and wolves

Top 75 Contributor
1,189 Posts
Points 22,990

I know it doesn't answer your question, but there is no difference between genocide and mass murder, murder is murder. So why do people make the differentiation of importance based on race?

Freedom has always been the only route to progress.

Post Neo-Left Libertarian Manifesto (PNL lib)
Top 150 Contributor
Male
753 Posts
Points 18,750

If anyone is interested on theTasmanian genocide i compiled some notes and posted them here

Top 25 Contributor
3,739 Posts
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Wed, Jan 26 2011 12:10 AM

Mate, you have something very inflammatory in your post. The collectivisation famine was not a crime of ot a crime of Jews against Ukrainians but of the Soviet Communist apparat against peasants of Ukraine and Southern Russia. Better you should take more care as I'm sure you didn't mean that.

Top 75 Contributor
1,288 Posts
Points 22,350

Race (like class, sex etc.) is one of the leftist obsessions, hence the prevalence of its discussion in academic literature.

The Voluntaryist Reader: http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com/ Libertarian forums that actually work: http://voluntaryism.freeforums.org/index.php
Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,209 Posts
Points 35,645
Merlin replied on Wed, Jan 26 2011 1:31 AM

My impression is that both males and females are generally targeted.

The Regression theorem is a memetic equivalent of the Theory of Evolution. To say that the former precludes the free emergence of fiat currencies makes no more sense that to hold that the latter precludes the natural emergence of multicellular organisms.
Top 150 Contributor
Male
753 Posts
Points 18,750

Marko, 

You're right. I meant Ukrainians ---> Jews

My apologies 

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS