Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Minecrafters?

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc Posted: Sun, Jan 30 2011 1:11 PM

Any minecrafters out here? I built a Misesian library & lounge with a customized texture paintings pack so there are paintings of Mises and Hayek all over the place.

If anyone's interested I'll fraps a tour of it and post it.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Hmm... we should create a 3D environment for Mises.org. We could even use HTML5.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc replied on Sun, Jan 30 2011 2:40 PM

Whatcha mean, 3d environment? Sounds intriguing...

Here is what I have so far...

Pick is a link to an album.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 508
Points 8,570

I was wondering if anyone on here played Minecraft.  I've been playing multiplayer recently and it's a great forum to test out homesteading.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

See this (http://mrdoob.github.com/three.js/examples/geometry_minecraft_ao.html) using Chrome.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc replied on Sun, Jan 30 2011 3:18 PM

Wouldn't it just be easier to setup our own SMP?

Not Ranked
Posts 66
Points 870
Willink replied on Sun, Jan 30 2011 3:20 PM

Yes.

Have alpha as well, though flying hacks and ease of building in classic is a bit more accessable, someone should host a server.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

What do you mean by SMP?

I like what you have done with Minecraft; that's what the environment could be, but it would be hosted via a website and would have lounges, for example, a theater room to watch a lecture by Bob Murphy. There could be a lounge where people would talk with each other (the forum).

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc replied on Sun, Jan 30 2011 3:42 PM

SMP = Survival Multi-Player. It's basically minecraft but multiplayer. 

A theatre room would be awesome. In MC you could be in the theatre room with friends. I did hear some talk, IDK who mentioned it but it had been stated somewhere that in the future we may be able to link video's to certain items on the wall, instead of paintings. Currently there are just static paintings.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,037
Points 17,975
John Ess replied on Sun, Jan 30 2011 4:09 PM

I tried it.  But it keeps crashing.

Looks like a bit of a nerdfest to me, though.  Probably not my thing.

I can't even comprehend the people who build all the structures that take hours.  Doesn't that numb your mind?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc replied on Sun, Jan 30 2011 4:26 PM

John ess:
Looks like a bit of a nerdfest to me

What does nerdfest even mean? And for that matter what even is a nerd?

John Ess:
I can't even comprehend the people who build all the structures that take hours.  Doesn't that numb your mind?

Perhaps you could ask the architects, artists, and creators of our time if their mind goes numb when they build?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 163
Points 5,275
djussila replied on Sun, Jan 30 2011 4:55 PM

Lets start a Mises.org multiplayer map. 

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,008
Points 16,185

Looks like a bit of a nerdfest to me, though.  Probably not my thing.

arent' we nerds for our interest in economics?

My Blog: http://www.anarchico.net/

Production is 'anarchistic' - Ludwig von Mises

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,037
Points 17,975
John Ess replied on Sun, Jan 30 2011 6:05 PM

"Perhaps you could ask the architects, artists, and creators of our time if their mind goes numb when they build?"

I don't think it is quite the same.  I'm not knocking games or design.

But minecraft seems to be a mock of legos.  Wherein you have to stack each thing tediously; which is one thing for the actual game's goal.  I think the goal says to escape zombies or something. But another entirely to create a life size Starship Enterprise and some of the other things I've seen on youtube that hurt my head just looking at it.  

Don't kids love autocad these days? 

Nerd is a term that refers to a person who avidly pursues intellectual activities, technical or scientific endeavors, esoteric knowledge, or other obscure interests, rather than engaging in more social or conventional activities.  (source:  wikipedia)

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 508
Points 8,570

The giant superstructures like the Enterprise D and whatnot are, almost always, made with some external program where you put schematics in and the game generates it.  The people who make working 8-bit CPUs and whatnot....those often seem like they were actually built by hand, so who knows.

Personally, I love tinkering around from time to time in the game, it's great for playing around with achitecture, although the 1m sq. blocks don't lend themselves to every style.  I've built some neat usonian villa and an automated diner complete with giant illuminated sign on the server I play on.  Yes I suppose I could do more productive things with my time, but I live in a 1 bedroom apartment, not much room to tinker with real world building.

Creative mode is basically just virtual legos.  Survival is fun because you actually have to harvest and mine all the materials, so you end up trying to design efficient ways to gather stuff, and then you end up trading for other things.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc replied on Sun, Jan 30 2011 6:50 PM

John I am quite confused at the nature of your posts. Are you now criticising the game?(The point being?) 

John Ess:
Nerdfest is any event or gathering of nerds during which the enjoyment of a nerdy subject is experienced. (source: Urban Dictionary)

So this is a nerdfest

As is this

Based on the definition of nerd you provided, thats essentially any person who doesn't spend all day in front of the television. I'd like to drive my point home that those terms are completely meaningless. In the way you used them above it comes off across as very negative and dissmissive toward another persons interest. I cannot understand why someone would go out of their way to criticize another persons interests or preference for leisure.

I no doubt imagine that there are activities you enjoy, that I would find dull to my personal tastes. Though you won't catch me going out of my way to point that out to you.

At any rate there have been 2 other occasions this week of me being called a nerd. One for studying Rails in my free time, the other for admitting my interestin philosophy and economics. Ironically I was called a nerd by co-workers, who at the time, were helping me rebuild improved redundancy in one of the nodes in our cloud infrastructure. What shocks me most is that both individuals do not hold even a 10th of the level of athleticism that I do. In fact I'd make a wager that I weigh less then both, and can easily bench-press the equivilent weight of both, plus an extra 45 kilos.

So thats why I brought this up. Seems like the nerd-bashing is on the revival, and I've yet to have anyone logically explain to me what it is to be a nerd, and why it's productive to point it out.

P.S. I effing love Legos.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,037
Points 17,975
John Ess replied on Sun, Jan 30 2011 7:03 PM

I am not dismissing others.  Only a choice for myself.  And I don't make choices for others.

Unless your choice is contingent upon mine.  In which I am flattered, but encourage independent thinking!

Saying 'nerd' or anything else is not really an argument against something or someone, I know.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 396
Points 6,715
Drew replied on Tue, Mar 8 2011 2:45 PM

I just discovered this game, this is amazing.

Check out what this fellow did in minecraft. He built a computer in Minecraft.

So far all he's done is build the cpu and the ram. He says something about building Atari, don't know what that is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUjOg6EUgQs&feature=related

o_O

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 396
Points 6,715
Drew replied on Tue, Mar 8 2011 6:20 PM

Nobody is shocked by this!!! Amazing.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415