Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Looking for a laugh?

rated by 0 users
This post has 20 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 45
Points 1,320
nuksukow Posted: Tue, Feb 22 2011 4:41 PM

...or maybe you'll get depressed. Either way, go on to YouTube and search "Equal Money". Have fun. I'm tempted to troll them, but just doesn't seem worthwhile at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqKRcGKuELI

One poster has a vid calling Ron Paul-types cultists. Of course, the irony is that every one of these equal money posters has a shaved head. cool

• | Post Points: 65
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 72
Points 840
Paul replied on Tue, Feb 22 2011 6:16 PM

I managed to get to the first minute. Amazing parallel between saltwater and equal money. Galbraith must be kicking himself for never using such a brilliant analogy.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 917
Points 17,505

I tried to troll them, but just ended up calling them idiots. That stuff is too stupid to argue with.

In the sidebar there are tons of crazy eurotrash looney leftists; 'one world equality', 'plants are equal to humans', etc. Europe is even worse than America, it's ridiculous.

I will break in the doors of hell and smash the bolts; there will be confusion of people, those above with those from the lower depths. I shall bring up the dead to eat food like the living; and the hosts of dead will outnumber the living.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 445
Points 9,445
CrazyCoot replied on Tue, Feb 22 2011 6:44 PM

The guy who posted the video needs to get laid.  

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 445
Points 9,445
CrazyCoot replied on Tue, Feb 22 2011 6:54 PM

http://desteni.co.za/

The inspiration behind the whole Equal Money Scheme.

Will you run from the lizard?

The ladies always run from my lizard.

Demons man, demons.  

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 917
Points 17,505

WTF is that eagle-headed elephant leg crocodile tail thing? WTF? These people are insane.

I will break in the doors of hell and smash the bolts; there will be confusion of people, those above with those from the lower depths. I shall bring up the dead to eat food like the living; and the hosts of dead will outnumber the living.
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Tue, Feb 22 2011 7:06 PM

Who's your avatar Ricky?

• | Post Points: 50
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 445
Points 9,445
CrazyCoot replied on Tue, Feb 22 2011 7:10 PM

Ricky can't speak right now, he's currently being possessed by demons. 

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 445
Points 9,445
CrazyCoot replied on Tue, Feb 22 2011 7:18 PM

She might be single Nielsio in case you're interested.  I assume she's roughly in your neck of the woods

http:// http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RFbG3EpiBk&feature=related

And in case you're having trouble understanding things

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PacjGpA4WRQ&feature=related

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 917
Points 17,505

Nielsio:

Who's your avatar Ricky?

It's Ernst Jünger, author of Eumeswil.
Not Ranked
Posts 94
Points 1,470

I'm not a violent man, but I did feel an overwhelming urge to punch this guy.

On a more intellectual note, his analogy is false anyway. Salt in the ocean is not a scarce good, hence it is not an economic good. So salt for fish would be analogous to air for humans, not money.

Not Ranked
Posts 57
Points 1,050
Sonik replied on Wed, Feb 23 2011 1:19 AM

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,010
Points 17,405

An equal money eonomy? Ok. It would kill incentive, but not economic calculation, right?

"They all look upon progressing material improvement as upon a self-acting process." - Ludwig von Mises
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,008
Points 16,185

What does an equal money system mean? does it mean that everybody gets the same amount of money or does it mean that everybody gets a minimum amount of money?

My Blog: http://www.anarchico.net/

Production is 'anarchistic' - Ludwig von Mises

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 45
Points 1,320
nuksukow replied on Wed, Feb 23 2011 1:52 AM

COME ON SHEEPLE! OPEN YOUR MINDS!

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 917
Points 17,505

Isaac "Izzy" Marmolejo:

What does an equal money system mean? does it mean that everybody gets the same amount of money or does it mean that everybody gets a minimum amount of money?

It means the guy is a leftist who knows as much about economics as I do about playing Jazz guitar.
Not Ranked
Posts 40
Points 610
Terrigan replied on Sat, Feb 26 2011 4:57 PM

Gah.  What a horror.  And the shape of that fellow's head... my God.

To any "equal money" nutjobs:
Money is not the salt.  The necessary goods are the salt. Only SOME of the necessary goods aren't abundant like the salt.  They need to be produced.  If we simply GIVE all of the non-abundant goods to those who need them, there is no reason to MAKE them.  And if there is no reason to MAKE them, then we will run out.

You can't avoid scarcity by pretending it doesn't exist.  Any society that provides "subsistence level" assistance (without a massive coercive apparatus to enforce minimum labor standards) to everyone soon finds that "subsistence level" drops rapidly, as the incentive to make consumed goods disappears.

Imagine it this way:  if the only good is delicious oranges, and we give everyone equal numbers of delicious oranges regardless of how many delicious oranges they grow, and thus nobody feels like they have to grow delicious oranges, how long will our supply of delicious oranges hold out?  The same logic works for all goods in a complicated system in aggregate, only with a lot more complication due to varying degrees of preference for different goods, jobs, etc.

Basically, mandating a return on investment equal to the average encourages people with higher returns to invest less.  And then the average falls because everyone above average starts goofing off.  This negative feedback loop eventually results in an average that approaches zero, because it is incredibly unlikely that everyone will, without exact knowledge, all decide on the same level of production any time they decide to produce anything.  The only above-average production that will occur will be by those who produce because they like to, and not because they gain from it.

It may be possible to eke out a living by appropriating the kindness of people's souls, but you may find that the standard is pretty low, especially after this kind of system cycles a few times and the incentives sink in.  When everyone is starving, kindness becomes a scarce commodity.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 396
Points 6,715
Drew replied on Sat, Feb 26 2011 5:06 PM

This reminds me  of Mr1001nights .

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 45

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 76
Points 1,465
Andius replied on Sat, Feb 26 2011 11:46 PM

The pasty whiteness, the bald, the glasess.....

I'm sorry, what's he talking about gain? I got distracted by those things.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 429
Points 7,400

Turn people into fish. Problem solved. 

Previous | Next
Page 1 of 1 (21 items) | RSS