Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

How would an anarchist society handle a zombie outbreak?

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 268
Points 5,220
SirThinkALot Posted: Wed, Feb 23 2011 3:53 PM

This is mostly for fun, but I'm curious to see the responses.  

Suppose we have have an anarcho-capatalist/libertarian society where in one day the dead start rising as human flesh eating monstrostities, anybody bitten by one dies and turns into a zombie too.  The only way to stop them is removing the head or destroying the brain,  

How would this be handled?  Obviously private defense firms would be employed to protect people.  And indviduals would have their own guns to fight them.  But I'm interested in more specifics....

OBJECTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you preface everything you say with the phrase 'studies have shown...' people will believe anything you say no matter how ridiculous. Studies have shown this works 87.64% of the time.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 266
Points 4,465

Well all types of weapons would be completely legal so people could form their own zombie fighting forces, probably as part of an already existent police force.  I think that'd be a pretty great job and a lot of people would join.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 286
Points 5,555
Which stage of outbreak are we talking here, 1, 2, 3, or 4?
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,189
Points 22,990

An anarchist society cannot coordinate to handle a zombie apocalypse. Thus the state is necessary and legitimate.

Freedom has always been the only route to progress.

Post Neo-Left Libertarian Manifesto (PNL lib)
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 444
Points 6,230

Well one thing is sure, the market would handle it better than the government. :D

My long term project to get every PDF into EPUB: Mises Books

EPUB requests/News: (Semi-)Official Mises.org EPUB Release Topic

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 391
Points 6,975

Why would we kill off the zombies? They might be brain feasting, but why do you doubt that a market for brains wouldn't just develop? It'd be little different from a hypothetical free market for organs would work like. You would sell your brains for when you died in exchanged for money tomorrow. Zombies could pool their money together into brain banks that would distribute these brains according to the investments made.

The only reason zombies ever go berserk in horror films is because the state enforces a price cap on human brains. Duh.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 266
Points 4,465

libertyandlife:
An anarchist society cannot coordinate to handle a zombie apocalypse. Thus the state is necessary and legitimate.

It also has to protect zombies against hate crimes.

But as far as the Non-Aggression Principle goes, is just being a zombie considered an initiation of force?  Or do they have to choke me before I can decapitate them?

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,289
Points 18,820
MaikU replied on Wed, Feb 23 2011 11:24 PM

Just give me a crowbar and I'm safe.

"Dude... Roderick Long is the most anarchisty anarchist that has ever anarchisted!" - Evilsceptic

(english is not my native language, sorry for grammar.)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 145
Points 3,690
FunkedUp replied on Thu, Feb 24 2011 12:21 AM

Check this article out!

It doesn't really address the AnCap part of your inquiry, but I think the larger question is how society (whether statist or not) handles the zombie apocalypse.  The math is a bit trippy, but you will likely get the gist of it - so long as you can follow the basics.

http://mysite.science.uottawa.ca/rsmith43/zombies.pdf

Basically, we're screwed...

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 564
Points 8,455
Paul replied on Thu, Feb 24 2011 2:05 AM

Why would we kill off the zombies? They might be brain feasting, but why do you doubt that a market for brains wouldn't just develop? It'd be little different from a hypothetical free market for organs would work like. You would sell your brains for when you died in exchanged for money tomorrow. Zombies could pool their money together into brain banks that would distribute these brains according to the investments made.

Exactly.  Reminds me of this: http://www.quebecoislibre.org/05/051015-16.htm

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 917
Points 17,505

Zombies are like a slow, soft, retarded version of Terminators. They don't scare me at all.

Living human beings with brains and handguns are far, far more dangerous than some shambling corpse.

I will break in the doors of hell and smash the bolts; there will be confusion of people, those above with those from the lower depths. I shall bring up the dead to eat food like the living; and the hosts of dead will outnumber the living.
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 907
Points 14,795

Obviously, stateless societies cannot handle zombie outbreaks, as all of them ended up ruled by zombies.

The Voluntaryist Reader - read, comment, post your own.
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 268
Points 5,220

The only reason zombies ever go berserk in horror films is because the state enforces a price cap on human brains. Duh.

You know, this my just be the winning response to this topic.....

OBJECTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you preface everything you say with the phrase 'studies have shown...' people will believe anything you say no matter how ridiculous. Studies have shown this works 87.64% of the time.
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,010
Points 17,405

SirThinkALot:
If you preface everything you say with the phrase 'studies have shown...' people will believe anything you say no matter how ridiculous.

Prefacing your claims with "Scientists tell us..." works even better.

"They all look upon progressing material improvement as upon a self-acting process." - Ludwig von Mises
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 162
Points 2,850

Michelangelo:
Why would we kill off the zombies? They might be brain feasting, but why do you doubt that a market for brains wouldn't just develop? 
Well, one could argue that this presupposes that zombies are capable of understanding a concept of property and/or monetary exchange.  To date, I haven't seen evidence that this is the case, therefore I suspect that it is not likely that zombies will be exchanging goods and services with anyone such that a "market" for brains would develop.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 63
Points 1,580
Raudsarw replied on Thu, Feb 24 2011 1:54 PM

I don't think dead people have rights, so you can just shoot them.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 391
Points 6,975

I addressed this issue in my original post. The reason most zombie break outs descend into violence is because there is an extreme shortage of human brains caused by a price cap of them.

Let's just look at our current drug-addict population. I would argue many of them were violent people, but surely I would not claim them unable to understand concepts of property. That many drug-addicts are violent is because they are denied the ability to purchase their narcotics on the market openly. Drug addicts have been historically peaceful when they do have the ability to purchase their narcotics; and those who have access to them presently (e.g. Doctors for example) are peaceful as well.

Now I'm not going to pretend the free market is magic. It is possible that some zombies wont be able to afford human brains. However I am sure that private charities will spring up. Given enough time I don't doubt the ability of the market to create synthetic human brains that can be sold for (relatively) cheap prices!

Edit: @Paul Fantastic article there. It reminds me of the plot for Daybreakers. Everything would have turned out fine if the state hadn't monopolized blood production.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daybreakers

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS