Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

*** March 2011 low content thread ***

rated by 0 users
This post has 137 Replies | 13 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,189
Points 22,990

I like how Block's opponent keeps giving the Chewbacca defense:

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/103454/the-chewbacca-defense

Freedom has always been the only route to progress.

Post Neo-Left Libertarian Manifesto (PNL lib)
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 247
Points 4,415

cporter did you see the whole thing? If I recall correctly he did address this point numerous times throughout the vid. 

Haha Sieben nice one!!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,592
Points 63,685
Sieben replied on Tue, Mar 8 2011 7:30 PM

JUST GOT ACCEPTED TO UT GRAD SCHOOL IN PETRO ENGINEERING

All oil are belong to me

Banned
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,010
Points 17,405

Frequency and intensity of Western Wars:

"They all look upon progressing material improvement as upon a self-acting process." - Ludwig von Mises
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,008
Points 16,185

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw3wETtDDsk

My Blog: http://www.anarchico.net/

Production is 'anarchistic' - Ludwig von Mises

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,189
Points 22,990

That's great to hear Sieben, congrats!

Freedom has always been the only route to progress.

Post Neo-Left Libertarian Manifesto (PNL lib)
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Tue, Mar 8 2011 11:29 PM

Isaac "Izzy" Marmolejo:

wow, that's so awful. I mean, it shouldn't be at all surprising, but still..

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,008
Points 16,185

I would saying it would be easier to tell your kids to get off the couch and go outside than to try to get them to run around the house for a dollar.

replied on Wed, Mar 9 2011 12:58 AM

Keep the goal of the shirt in mind. If it is ambiguous what will it accomplish? The goal of the shirt is to give people an idea of what you're about. The way it is now it sends off a much stronger signal than with a minimalist message. People aren't used to seeing both an anarchy symbol and an expression of capitalism at the same time. So this creates an opportunity for someone else to bring up the subject (ask you) and then you can elaborate on things.

air jordan retro

nike air max bas prix

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Wed, Mar 9 2011 2:37 AM

I would say it'd be easier to treat the kid like an individual with the ability to reason [which they are], as opposed to someone to give orders to [i.e tell]. Go ask what do they think would be the best way to spend their time?

Who are you to put a greater value on something for someone else. ["Go outside and get off the couch"] Suppose they're reading on the couch?

Ask them what they would like to do.

"Dunno"

'Well I remember having a lot of fun outside when I was a kid... '

The problem is... no kid who is switched on in the know, is going to go running around the house for a $1 fiat currency piece of paper. Maybe an oz gold coin, surely... lol

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,008
Points 16,185

@Conza88

a kid living under the parants is a voluntary hiearchy. Whenever the kid is old enough to think for himself, leave the house, and take care of himself, etc. then he is able to ignore the demands of the parent. A big reason why there are so many kids playing video games all day, laying on the couch, etc. is because the parents are afraid of being parents. The parents want to turn into a friend intead of a parent. And surely, if you ask a kid fixed on War of Warcraft, would you rather play this game or go bike riding with me, the kid will not go bike riding...  even a better example, would you rather say home for the rest of your life or go off to college? One day, you have to demand your kid to do something whether it is to be more active, or to kick him out of the house....eventually...

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Wed, Mar 9 2011 4:35 AM

"a kid living under the parants is a voluntary hiearchy."

That's the way it should be. That ain't the way it often is.

"A big reason why there are so many kids playing video games all day, laying on the couch, etc. is because the parents are afraid of being parents."

No, it's because they don't know what being an actual proper parent entails. What is your conception of the role of parenting?

"The parents want to turn into a friend intead of a parent."

They do? Why is it so many kids go to their friends to talk about stuff that actually matters, get life advise - as opposed to going to their parents? (/generalities).

"And surely, if you ask a kid fixed on War of Warcraft, would you rather play this game or go bike riding with me, the kid will not go bike riding... "

And so why don't you ask, why that is? Why is bike riding objectively better than playing WoW? (Btw, to shoot down any assumptions - I cycle every weekend with mates and despise games FYI. I have never played WoW. I heard that "crap" all the time though when I was a kid, and I'm sure you have too - as has pretty much everyone... and yet are you not just mindlessly repeating it?) I suggest you check out this video on unschooling, in particular - 5:20+ (link).

"would you rather say home for the rest of your life or go off to college?"

Who says college is something worth going to? Is that not an individual choice? Personally, I'd be encouraging my kid, should I ever have them - to see the world. I myself left to live in another country working for a year on the otherside of the globe at 18. I'd recommend that to anyone and everyone, if that is something they would want to do - there is much to be gained, though there may be more for someone else - to stay at home and do other things.

"One day, you have to demand your kid to do something whether it is to be more active, or to kick him out of the house....eventually..."

I think if you've done your job right as a parent, they'll see you as a safe haven - a port to help ride out the harsh storms. But it's up to the kid themselves to travel the high seas.

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 247
Points 4,415

Sieben:

JUST GOT ACCEPTED TO UT GRAD SCHOOL IN PETRO ENGINEERING

All oil are belong to me

Congrats! Are you going to be the next oil baron?

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 89
Points 1,840

I found this amusing.

"No person is so grand or wise or perfect as to be the master of another person." ~ Karl Hess

"look, property is theft, right? Therefore theft is property. Therefore this ship is mine, OK?" ~Zaphod Beeblebrox

Not Ranked
Posts 35
Points 585
B-man replied on Thu, Mar 10 2011 8:30 PM

Rand Paul has been reading Mr. Tucker's book!

[view:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELDHaeEsNF0:640:385]

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 304
Points 4,800
cporter replied on Thu, Mar 10 2011 9:16 PM

freeradicals:

cporter did you see the whole thing? If I recall correctly he did address this point numerous times throughout the vid. 

Haha Sieben nice one!!

Yeah, I watched the whole thing, and Block did say it repeatedly, but not as an immediate retort to the student. When you already accept an argument or understand all of the components and the reasoning behind it it's easier to pick out the points he is making than for someone who is unfortunately steeped in dumb economics. Sometimes you have to slap it out of them, I guess. =P

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 247
Points 4,415

Interactive map to see where people are moving to, pretty interesting. You can really see the mass exodus out of Detroit. Chicago, LA and the east coast look pretty bad. Seattle and Atlanta are doing very well.

http://www.forbes.com/2010/06/04/migration-moving-wealthy-interactive-counties-map.html

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 247
Points 4,415
State sovereignty

A resolution asserting states' rights to the federal government is scheduled to come before the Senate Judiciary Committee this week.

House Joint Resolution 14, by Rep. Michael More, R-Gallatin Gateway, asserts the states right under the U.S. Constitution to control its own affairs without interference from the federal government.

The measure passed the House with 54 votes, despite criticism from some Republicans and Democrats that it was a waste of time and laid the groundwork for secession.

yes

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,365
Points 30,945

You folks will regret secession if it leads to an authority just as or more illiberal and etatist than the previous centralized authority.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 247
Points 4,415

Prateek Sanjay:

You folks will regret secession if it leads to an authority just as or more illiberal and etatist than the previous centralized authority.

Yes that's always a possiblity but what's your point?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,365
Points 30,945

Well, I responded to your Thumbs Up. It really isn't a good or bad situation from a liberal perspective. It will not lead to a reduction in state power.

Do you think, say, the transfer of the Gold Coast from The British Empire to Kwame Nkrumah constituted a reduction in state power? It made the British better off not to have an expensive colony to maintain, but the Ghanans were just as worse off or even more so under a loon like Nkrumah.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 247
Points 4,415

Isn't the Federal Government's recognition of a State's right to seceed a good thing? That's what this bill seems to be about. 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,365
Points 30,945

A state has no "rights". It's not a person.

If a governor decides to secede, he makes a zero-sum decision that alienates those who don't want secession and those who do.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 247
Points 4,415
Well the term is used in this context to denote the powers of the states (it's in the Bill of Rights). I understand you have an issue with the terminology but it is commonly referred to as "state's rights" is it not? Would you prefer we drop the usage of the word "right" and call it a "power" exclusively?

It sounds to me like the argument you are making is we should, out of fear of being oppressed, avoid secession to continue to be opressed at our current levels of opression?
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 443
Points 9,245

Figured this should go here. It's more of a "this-is-where-I'm-at" post than a "what-should-I-do-any-suggestions?" post.

I've been considering changing my major for a few months now. This time last year I was pumped about starting college in the coming fall and doing Political Science, but as was expected, it seems I've changed my mind. My interest for political issues and even economics (though not as much) has dropped significantly. Meanwhile, my interest in the natural sciences has increased dramatically.

If I do change my major, it will probably be to Biology (possibly with a concentration in cell/molecular biology or evolutionary biology, if it's offered). However, I don't think I'll know until next semester when I take the required science courses.

Unfortunately, the prospect of taking another Poli Sci class makes me cringe. I've skimmed through some of the other classes and they don't look very interesting. My International Relations class is pretty boring, and the professor doesn't help. He's an arrogant guy (and I emphasize arrogant) who works as a sort of diplomatic consultant for the federal government.

I'd love to simply jump into Biology next semester, but I don't want to make the mistake of jumping into something and not enjoying it (as it is with Poli Sci).

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan
Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 900
JonnyD replied on Mon, Mar 14 2011 10:41 PM

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc replied on Mon, Mar 14 2011 11:14 PM

@ Johnny, that was brilliant.

I am very pleased to see that TED is open to market ideas.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Tue, Mar 15 2011 2:48 AM

"@ Johnny, that was brilliant."

I thought it was exactly like the "market based" systems proposed for carbon taxes etc.

Paying someone to not do something?

It's patchwork within the statist system is all.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,592
Points 63,685
Sieben replied on Tue, Mar 15 2011 9:07 AM

Prateek Sanjay:
A state has no "rights". It's not a person.
I think the idea is that a bunch of little states are better than one gigantic state because of jurisdictional competition

Banned
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Tue, Mar 15 2011 10:03 AM

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,365
Points 30,945

Nielso, all of Cyriak's videos have been amazing, if you have seen them. Make sure to see one of my favourites, Beastenders and Deadenders.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 247
Points 4,415

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,415
Points 56,650
filc replied on Tue, Mar 15 2011 5:01 PM

Conza88:
It's patchwork within the statist system is all.

I do agree that it is patchwork.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 533
Points 8,445
Phaedros replied on Wed, Mar 16 2011 9:03 AM

"Economist": Rising oil prices will threaten recovery.

Npr Guy: "Do economists think the fed should continue their $600 billion of buying bonds?

"economist": Yes most agree that it is helping the recovery.

Morons

Tumblr The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants. ~Albert Camus
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 443
Points 9,245

In class today, my International Relations professor was going over Realism, Liberalism, Radicalism, etc. He said the thought that the state and economy could be completely separate "exists only in the mind of economists who have their heads stuck up their asses." Fun stuff.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Thu, Mar 17 2011 7:41 PM

"In class today, my International Relations professor was going over Realism, Liberalism, Radicalism, etc. He said the thought that the state and economy could be completely separate "exists only in the mind of economists who have their heads stuck up their asses." Fun stuff."

I had to do a presentation to the class in IR. Topic was related to the state and the core point I continued to hit on was about methodological individualism. Imo, thanks to quotes from Mises and a Rothbard footnote - torn the notion that states are actors apart.

Essentially, I put into the question the whole point of the course. Didn't go down too well.... from the self admitted Marxist tutor (who said he took things from all ideologies)..

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Fri, Mar 18 2011 12:11 PM

Shikha Dalmia Discusses Immigration at 2011 Students for Liberty International Conference

Very refreshing. She brings up Hoppe and Block also.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,010
Points 17,405

Let's use video to reinvent education.

"They all look upon progressing material improvement as upon a self-acting process." - Ludwig von Mises
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Sat, Mar 19 2011 12:54 AM

Why would you link to wimp.com?

Salman Khan: Let's use video to reinvent education

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,010
Points 17,405

Why would you link to wimp.com?

Dunno, that's just where I found it. Is wimp bad?

Page 2 of 4 (138 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS