Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Does anybody here ever had doubts about Capitalism?

rated by 0 users
This post has 52 Replies | 13 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,055
Points 41,895

A "cartel" is simply profit sharing.  The reason that competition per se exists is obvious.  Some know that they can take it all and some know that they can lose it all.  Only losers are interested in sharing for greater material gain.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 396
Points 6,715
Drew replied on Wed, Mar 9 2011 11:00 PM

Why would you join a cartel in a free market? Can't you just undercut them and make more money?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 445
Points 9,445
CrazyCoot replied on Thu, Mar 10 2011 3:56 AM

I find your lack of faith to be disturbing.

Heretics and doubters must be cleansed...

with fire.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,010
Points 17,405

CrazyCoot:
I find your lack of faith to be disturbing.

Heretics and doubters must be cleansed...

with fire.

Are you with the IPCC?

"They all look upon progressing material improvement as upon a self-acting process." - Ludwig von Mises
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 445
Points 9,445
CrazyCoot replied on Thu, Mar 10 2011 6:48 AM

Yes, The Institution of Pious Capitalist Crusaders

Those who do not believe in the NAP and voluntary exchange must be destroyed. 

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

What does it mean to doubt capitalism?  If it means doubting its perfection, then that's not even up for question.  No human thing is perfect.  If it means entertaining the notion that anything salutary can be done about any imperfections that may occur via a market process, then the other side of that coin is a necessarily concomitant faith in the efficacy of some non-market action in remedying that imperfection without creating worse ones.  So then you have to ask yourself what is so meritorious about that given non-market action to warrant such faith.

"the obligation to justice is founded entirely on the interests of society, which require mutual abstinence from property" -David Hume
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 445
Points 9,445
CrazyCoot replied on Thu, Mar 10 2011 7:20 AM

Heretic.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,010
Points 17,405

Smiling Dave:
Now Rothbard writes that if the cartel really does benefit them all somehow, then that means they should merge outright.
Why don't companies constantly merge when that would give them control over some market?

"They all look upon progressing material improvement as upon a self-acting process." - Ludwig von Mises
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

EmperorNero:

Smiling Dave:
Now Rothbard writes that if the cartel really does benefit them all somehow, then that means they should merge outright.
Why don't companies constantly merge when that would give them control over some market?

Inefficiencies of internal (non-market) capital transfers.

"the obligation to justice is founded entirely on the interests of society, which require mutual abstinence from property" -David Hume
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,010
Points 17,405

Daniel James Sanchez:

Could you dumb it down a little?

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,260
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

EmperorNero:

Daniel James Sanchez:

Could you dumb it down a little?

I explain it here: http://blog.mises.org/12799/on-chapter-1-of-kleins-new-book/

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,255
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

I don't expect perfection of capitalism, so I don't "doubt" it. I'm not so much a believer in capitalism as free, voluntary interactions, and there is little that can shake my support for such an ideology, i.e. succumb to the notion that people are too "stupid" for their "own good" etc.

With respect to economics/praxeology, I always keep a reasonably open mind, because like an knowledge-seeking endeavour it can be expanded and at times, revised.

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

Not Ranked
Posts 54
Points 1,210

I do follow Wittgenstein's idea that you can't have certainty without a little doubt.

Page 2 of 2 (53 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS