Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Single Question Litmus Test

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 515
Doug Posted: Wed, Mar 9 2011 3:53 PM

It has probably been about 10 years since I found Austrian Economics and Libertarianism. Watching the news - so many folks talk like Misesians (less like Rothbardians) - but are ultimately just co-opting the philosophy, or aping the popular themes.

The main tenet of strict libertarianism seems to be the "Non-Agression Principle"  In other words - if you asked someone their guiding philosophical tenet they might answer "The non-agression principle."

It got me wondering what other single questions one might ask in order to seek out adherents to the cause.  The one above doesn't come up in conversation much.  There is the obvious one:

"Who is your favorite economist?

That doesn't come up in conversation either.  I also thought you might use the indirect approach:

"What should we do with the department of education?"  if they answer "Eliminate it" - we are probably pretty close.

Does anyone else have any good litmus test questions (that might come up in a normal conversation) to gauge if someone is a Austrian adherent?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Me: "tu ne cede malis ... ?"

Them: "sed contra audentior ito!"

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,105
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

LS how can I top that....

I test them on the following tongue twister

Expropriating property protector protects property no more, the protector protecting property is a private one for sure!

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,008
Points 16,185

liberty student:

Me:"tu ne cede malis..."

Them:"sed contra audentior ito!"

+1

Another one would be if you are having an economics conversation with somebody and you say:

"Who is the first economist that pops in your head whose first name is Carl/Karl?"

If one responds Carl Menger,then  he is more than likely an Austrian. We all know who the other infamous Karl is....

My Blog: http://www.anarchico.net/

Production is 'anarchistic' - Ludwig von Mises

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 814
Points 14,875

How about:

"Was Hitler an Austrian?"

If they respond:

"I thought he was German" His history is as clear as the EU's finances.

"Yes" Adeqaute historian in the making.

"Yes, but not in the sense of Murray Rothbard was" He's out of the closet

"Yes, but not in the sense Mises was" Good economist in the making but poor weather man

The atoms tell the atoms so, for I never was or will but atoms forevermore be.

Yours sincerely,

Physiocrat

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,008
Points 16,185

@Physiocrat

I do not get why saying "Yes, but not in the sense Mises was" would make one a 'poor weather man'

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 814
Points 14,875

Sorry, maybe a little too involved. I just meant that his geography would be off and hence make a poor weather man. Note to self again: humour that needs to be explained is not funny.

The atoms tell the atoms so, for I never was or will but atoms forevermore be.

Yours sincerely,

Physiocrat

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,008
Points 16,185

Physiocrat:
Sorry, maybe a little too involved. I just meant that his geography would be off and hence make a poor weather man.

I got it! :p

Physiocrat:
Note to self again: humour that needs to be explained is not funny.

That made me laugh.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS