Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Maine Town Becomes First to Declare Food Sovereignty (3-11-11)

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov Posted: Fri, Mar 11 2011 11:15 AM

http://www.naturalnews.com/031667_food_freedom_Maine.html

"Local residents recently voted unanimously at a town hall meeting to pass an ordinance that reinforces its citizens' God-given rights to "produce, process, sell, purchase, and consume local foods of their choosing," which includes even state- and federally-restricted foods like raw milk.

In addition to simply declaring food sovereignty, the ordinance also declares it a crime for state and federal authorities to violate ordinance provisions in any way. The law specifically states that "[i]t shall be unlawful for any law or regulation adopted by the state or federal government to interfere with the rights recognized by this Ordinance."

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 52
Points 1,190
Egon replied on Mon, Mar 14 2011 12:46 PM

That can't be legal, can it?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 162
Points 2,850

Egon:
That can't be legal, can it?
According to whom?

Who says we have a legal monopoly!?!?  :)

The basis of the regulation of food, as I understand it, is the commerce clause.

"To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes."

If the produce is all produced, processed, sold, and consumed locally, the federal government should have absolutely no regulatory authority... as far as I understand the constitution.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 52
Points 1,190
Egon replied on Mon, Mar 14 2011 1:38 PM

Well, I meant legal according to the USA and the State of Maine.  I concede that the USA's restrictions on the production/consumption of raw milk are unconstitutional (and by extension illegal), but would the State of Maine allow a municipality to claim powers contrary to State policy and the State constitution? 

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,008
Points 16,185

(Not that this really matters because the US doesnt follow their constitution but..)

according to the tenth amendment:

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

My Blog: http://www.anarchico.net/

Production is 'anarchistic' - Ludwig von Mises

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,010
Points 17,405

Hey, it's nullification. Go liberty!

"They all look upon progressing material improvement as upon a self-acting process." - Ludwig von Mises
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 162
Points 2,850

EmperorNero:
Hey, it's nullification. Go liberty!
There was another thread recently where someone asked how to get out of Jury Duty. I'm absolutely shocked that the term "nullification" wasn't invoked.  That is the sure-fire, quickest way to get booted from a jury.

Nullification is probably the single most scary word for any judge/prosecutor.  The idea that people might refuse to render a verdict of "guilty" simply because they reject the law itself...  Gotta love it.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS