Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

The Official Libya Thread: It's Okay Because the UN Said It Was

rated by 0 users
This post has 36 Replies | 11 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
DanielMuff Posted: Sat, Mar 19 2011 3:26 PM

This thread is for anything Libya. I'll start:

On Al-Jazeera a video clip was played of a fighter jet crashing to the ground. Anyone what that was all about? Was that a UN fighter jet?

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

• | Post Points: 110
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 257
Points 4,920
Prime replied on Sat, Mar 19 2011 3:33 PM

The MSM is claiming that was a Libyan jet shot down by the rebels. I find it hard to believe the rebels have that kind of capablities though.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 443
Points 9,245

A friend of mine said Lybia is claiming they shot down a French jet. Possibility?

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan
  • | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 54
Points 1,135
Zizzer replied on Sat, Mar 19 2011 4:34 PM

Question:  Have we sent foreign aid to Libya over the past decades as we have to Egypt?  If not, in what ways have we supported al-Qaḏḏāfī's dictatorship as I've seen claimed?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

What's the over/under on when ground troops will enter Libya? I'll go with 9 days from today.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 66
Points 1,140
Anarcho replied on Sat, Mar 19 2011 4:57 PM

Today at work a customer came in and brought up how Obama was doing a great job picking his March madness brackets instead of doing something about the more important things like the issues in the middle east and Japan.  I responded that I wished  he and all of the government officials would spend more time on those brackets then on Libya and Japan for the sake of the innocent people of Libya and Japan.  Now that I think about it I wish march maddness would last months just to keep them occupied and out of everyone elses' business, including mine.  As far as ground troops being deployed, I say less then a week from now.  Five or six days maybe.

"It is easy to be conspicuously 'compassionate' if others are being forced to pay the cost." - Murray N. Rothbard.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,209
Points 35,645
Merlin replied on Sat, Mar 19 2011 5:06 PM

Blueline976:

A friend of mine said Lybia is claiming they shot down a French jet. Possibility?

With what? AKs?

The Regression theorem is a memetic equivalent of the Theory of Evolution. To say that the former precludes the free emergence of fiat currencies makes no more sense that to hold that the latter precludes the natural emergence of multicellular organisms.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 443
Points 9,245

Merlin:
With what? AKs?

Who knows. The French are reporting that they haven't lost any jets, so yeah. Nevermind lol.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Some guy on Al-Jazeera [correction: Russia Today] said that many of the rebels are CIA agents and agents for other subversive agencies of the West.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 297
Points 5,250
Rcder replied on Sat, Mar 19 2011 5:37 PM

Daniel Muffinburg,

I'm not saying that that isn't true, but "Russia Today" has a tendency to blame just about every negative political occurrence in the world on the "evil Western imperialists".

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

I know.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,189
Points 22,990

What a stereotype!

Freedom has always been the only route to progress.

Post Neo-Left Libertarian Manifesto (PNL lib)
Not Ranked
Posts 33
Points 510
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,209
Points 35,645
Merlin replied on Sat, Mar 19 2011 6:34 PM

The pic is epic. CoD MW3 stuff.

The Regression theorem is a memetic equivalent of the Theory of Evolution. To say that the former precludes the free emergence of fiat currencies makes no more sense that to hold that the latter precludes the natural emergence of multicellular organisms.
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 286
Points 5,555

Merlin:

The pic is epic. CoD MW3 stuff.

See, without interventionist foriegn policy where could we set videogames???

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 257
Points 4,920
Prime replied on Sat, Mar 19 2011 6:45 PM

Just read where the U.S. has launched 112 tomahawk cruise missles targeted at anti-air defense. Obama says there will be no ground troops though...

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,209
Points 35,645
Merlin replied on Sat, Mar 19 2011 6:56 PM

Evilsceptic:

See, without interventionist foriegn policy where could we set videogames???

Indeeddevil

Not Ranked
Posts 33
Points 510
fbc91 replied on Sat, Mar 19 2011 7:10 PM

Damn.  Taking that into consideration, our foreign policy is worth it.  I can't live without my Call of Duty.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

This is probably the best justification I've herd for American foreign policy.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

fbc91:
That's the clip I was talking about. ZH reported that it was G-daffi's jet, but now other outlets are reporting that rebels admitted that it was a rebel jet.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 443
Points 9,245

Imagine a time when kids can say to their parents, "But it's not real! It's just a game!"

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

This interesting:

Israel reportedly sent 50,000 African mercenaries to help Gaddafi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke1vDSVKXaU

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 266
Points 4,465

fbc91:
Damn.  Taking that into consideration, our foreign policy is worth it.  I can't live without my Call of Duty. 

Well everyone knows that without government we'd have corporations enslaving the population and fighting wars against each other.  So maybe Call of Duty: Private Enterprise would be a pretty badass game.  Apple could team up with General Motors and maybe make an iTank?

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 564
Points 8,455
Paul replied on Sun, Mar 20 2011 5:38 AM

The MSM is claiming that was a Libyan jet shot down by the rebels. I find it hard to believe the rebels have that kind of capablities though.

Why?  Actually, the initial reports were that it was a Gaddafi plane shot down by the rebels; then a rebel plane shot down by Gaddafi forces; after about 15 minutes it came out that it was a rebel plane shot down by the rebels.  But a later report said it was "confirmed" that it was in fact a Gaddafi plane after all.  I haven't heard anything more, but the media were still reporting an own-goal by the rebels much later.  MSM are usually the last to report real info, though.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 564
Points 8,455
Paul replied on Sun, Mar 20 2011 5:40 AM

This is not the same plane.  Gaddafi claims to have shot down a French jet.  French TV reported it, I'm told.  But it's not true.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,485
Points 22,155
Kakugo replied on Sun, Mar 20 2011 3:57 PM

I really don't think this operation is much more than rerun on a larger scale of Operation Eldorado Canyon. Differently from Saddam Hussein or the Taliban Gaddafi hasn't outlived his intended purpose, so a full blown invasion is out of the picture. Consider this operation to serve two purposes. The first is a warning shot to Gaddafi: we've given you everything you wanted, now start behaving or you'll join Saddam, Diem and other US-backed dictators who outlived their usefulness. The second is a sophisticated smoke and mirrors show for the benefit of the Arab world. The US is playing damage control with the oppressed masses of the Gulf, Egypt and the Maghreb. After the embarassing Mubarak show, after selling enormous quantities of weapons to Saudi Arabia (some of which are now being used against the people of Bahrain), after backing every single scoundrel they could find, they need a PR operation. Think of it as a Gulf War on a small scale: the Forces of Freedom coming to the help of the oppressed.

What the final outcome will be, nobody can tell. I personally think not even The Witch has thought about what to do next, just like when she charged like a raging bull into Somalia without a clear plan of action. A possible scenario could be an extended bombing campaign to break Gaddafi's claws and fangs (read: destroy his air force, damage has much heavy equipment as possible and demoralize his foreign mercenaries) followed by the arrival of UN troops, perhaps supplied by the African Union and the Arab League, to establish a "safety zone" around rebel-controlled areas. Another scenario is a ceasefire negotiated by the Arab League, which needs a PR operation itself big time, with Gaddafi agreeing at least to some of the rebels' demands, and the arrival of Arab League troops into the country. 

Personally I think Gaddafi will go into his usual insane ramblings, threaten everybody will anhilation, but in the end he'll give in. His priority number one is to stay in power and if he has to come to more reasonable terms with both the rebels and Europe, he'll do so. Differently from the Afghan "insurgents", who have no fixed bases, no airfields, no heavy weaponry and can easily melt away, he's extremely vulnerable to the devastating Allied air supremacy. In the twenty five years since Eldorado Canyon the US has learned a thing or two about how to use this terrifying tool of destruction to the worst. 

Together we go unsung... together we go down with our people
Not Ranked
Posts 49
Points 1,275

I'm not too sure. The only news source which has reported anything like this has been Press TV which is Iranian state-TV: a mouthpiece of the totalitarian regime in Tehran which frequently puts out stories advocating Holocaust denial and the like. I wouldn't trust them if I were you. I mean I thought British state-TV was bad!

"Taxation of earnings from labor is on a par with forced labor. Seizing the results of someone's labor is equivalent to seizing hours from him and directing him to carry on various activities." - Robert Nozick

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Rcder:

Daniel Muffinburg,

I'm not saying that that isn't true, but "Russia Today" has a tendency to blame just about every negative political occurrence in the world on the "evil Western imperialists".

Rusia Today hosted Lew Rockwell today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD8AHvWqqE0

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Commie claims Libya invasion is about gold. You MUST watch this for a few laughs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeNUYEEjnUw

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Nooooooooo! Not that guy again.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Mon, Jun 6 2011 3:48 PM

Some guy on Al-Jazeera [correction: Russia Today] said that many of the rebels are CIA agents and agents for other subversive agencies of the West.

1. Some guy on RT, is not the same as RT.

2. Why the citation marks, are you quoting someone?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 743
Points 11,795

lol western imperialism? There's not even one example of such a thing. 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 267
Points 5,370
Meistro replied on Sat, Apr 14 2012 3:24 PM

not sure if serious

... just as the State has no money of its own, so it has no power of its own - Albert Jay Nock

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,055
Points 41,895

A shoulder fired SAM only costs about $10,000, which is a tad cheaper than a MiG-25.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 233
Points 4,440
Cortes replied on Fri, Jul 27 2012 1:21 PM

This has been identical to the Bush years. Whatever happens, seriously, whatever happens is spun to be a 'victory'. It's pure IngSoc. Victory on the Malabar front! Actually, it's crazier than that.

There is no debate allowed because the results are pretedermined beforehand and it will always be concluded as a 'victory'.

Doublespeak abounds; a 39 seat plurality of a pro-Western party in a parliament of 200, sponsored by a ruling body that was not elected by the Libyan people  is a 'landslide' and a 'democratic revolution'.

Not to mention how uncomfortably this parallels the situation in Iraq in 2005. 

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 233
Points 4,440
Cortes replied on Fri, Jul 27 2012 1:29 PM

Also, this forum is broken and I can't edit my above post, so I'll post this here:

Since WWII the entire dialogue over military intervention has been extirpated by the State. A false 'democratic' election is seen as a sign of the success of military intervention. A deposing of an anti-US autocrat sending a country into civil war and chaos is seen as a sign of the success of military intervention, since only futher military intervention will be able to prevent further violence.

You cannot win this debate because it has been preordained to fit the military-industrial complex's view of world affairs. 

Page 1 of 1 (37 items) | RSS