Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

How bloody do you guys think things will get?

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 445
Points 9,445
CrazyCoot Posted: Fri, Mar 25 2011 10:04 AM

Considering the worrisome economic situation, conflict in the Middle East, and Japan´s situation do the people of this board see the seeds being planted for a bloody conflict in the next generation or so?  I´m not talking about local conflicts like Af-Pak or Iraq, but more widespread and bloodier.  Also talking about currently stable countries engaged in internal conflicts, including ethnic scapegoating. 

Are people here optimistic or pessimistic about the next 50 years or so?

• | Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 917
Points 17,505

I don't think America can afford it; and we're the only people capable of conducting a world war right now.

I will break in the doors of hell and smash the bolts; there will be confusion of people, those above with those from the lower depths. I shall bring up the dead to eat food like the living; and the hosts of dead will outnumber the living.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 445
Points 9,445
CrazyCoot replied on Fri, Mar 25 2011 10:22 AM

Well,  what about multiple regional conflicts?  Or internal break down of law and order in some countries?

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 917
Points 17,505

Well,  what about multiple regional conflicts?

It's possible, but these are much better than the giant imperial wars. They tend to be self-limiting.

Or internal break down of law and order in some countries?

How would this be new?

I will break in the doors of hell and smash the bolts; there will be confusion of people, those above with those from the lower depths. I shall bring up the dead to eat food like the living; and the hosts of dead will outnumber the living.
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,209
Points 35,645
Merlin replied on Fri, Mar 25 2011 2:58 PM

If at all, it will come in Europe. After the meltdown the EU shall either: 1) be bailed out by China, 2) dissolve peacefully ala USSR or 3) dissolve violently ala Yugoslavia. If China is unable to ‘help’ I’m afraid it will come to the last option, at least in some places. 

The Regression theorem is a memetic equivalent of the Theory of Evolution. To say that the former precludes the free emergence of fiat currencies makes no more sense that to hold that the latter precludes the natural emergence of multicellular organisms.
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 445
Points 9,445
CrazyCoot replied on Fri, Mar 25 2011 2:58 PM

Not new, but on a scale not seen before and in countries that have not experienced it in several generations.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,129
Points 16,635
Giant_Joe replied on Fri, Mar 25 2011 3:06 PM

Considering the worrisome economic situation, conflict in the Middle East, and Japan´s situation do the people of this board see the seeds being planted for a bloody conflict in the next generation or so?  I´m not talking about local conflicts like Af-Pak or Iraq, but more widespread and bloodier.  Also talking about currently stable countries engaged in internal conflicts, including ethnic scapegoating.

Until recently, the US has had an economic and military hegemony on the world. In order for the empire to hold onto it's power, it must now flex it's military might, since the economic leverage is being quickly diminished.

Things might turn around, though. Depends on the internal nature of the country as it progresses over the next decade.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS