Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

What stocks to invest in now?

rated by 0 users
This post has 30 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,651
Points 51,325
krazy kaju Posted: Thu, May 8 2008 8:17 PM

There was a similar thread recently, but I wanted to expand on the scope of the last one.

Mainly, what specific stocks should someone begin buying to profit on the demising dollar?

I was thinking about Peter Schiff's "Crash Proof," but it has relatively poor reviews on Amazon because Schiff doesn't give specifics as to where to invest. He just says to invest in commodities and dividend paying foreign stocks.

So what foreign stocks should one invest in?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,538
Points 93,790
Juan replied on Fri, May 9 2008 1:55 AM
What about the dollar ? What will happen to the 'financial system' ? Will massive counterfeiting keep on going until people in poor countries, and the poor in rich countries, start to starve (more) ?

Wouldn't be worthwhile to try to come up with some educated guess there ? The fate of stocks surely is linked somehow to those issues ?

February 17 - 1600 - Giordano Bruno is burnt alive by the catholic church.
Aquinas : "much more reason is there for heretics, as soon as they are convicted of heresy, to be not only excommunicated but even put to death."

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 313
Points 4,390

Just a note, but Peter Schiff can't suggest stocks in a book. He is a licensed broker. What about using his company though? Their fee is 2 or 3%, and they have a mint program in Australia and a lot of other nice stuff.

Equality before the law and material equality are not only different but are in conflict with each other; and we can achieve either one or the other, but not both at the same time. -- F. A. Hayek in The Constitution of Liberty

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

I have a copy of Crash Proof.  Decent enough book, I wish more Austrians would produce lit like this, that speaks to the average economically ignorant person, who has a profit motive that drives them to seek advice.

Schiff was bullish on agriculture going forward.  He talks about Gold as a hedge, but prefers (as he put it) "cash on the barrel head", or dividends.  If I recall correctly, he mentions utilities as being sound plays.

The book is an advertisement for his firm, but at the same time, has a lot of great ideas, explanations etc for laymen.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,651
Points 51,325

So you'd say it would be a good idea to invest in them and let them handle your money?

I was thinking about it.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 313
Points 4,390

krazy kaju:
So you'd say it would be a good idea to invest in them and let them handle your money?

I'm not American, and I don't have much money saved to bother anyway, but I'm a listener of Schiff's radio podcasts and he seems very competent to me. I also like his Austrian stance and how he has promoted Ron Paul and now he's supporting some liberty-minded Senator, so he seems a principled man. I would for sure trust him my money. They have a phone number in their website, so you can contact his firm and see if you like what they suggest before moving forward. You surely don't want to keep your money in dollars -- at least use their money basket trust where they keep the money in several strong currencies... I don't think you need to be a client to enrol in some of these programs they have going.

Equality before the law and material equality are not only different but are in conflict with each other; and we can achieve either one or the other, but not both at the same time. -- F. A. Hayek in The Constitution of Liberty

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,651
Points 51,325

^ The problem is that I don't have much money to invest anyways ATM, so I'm not sure if they'd even take my business.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 313
Points 4,390

Well, they sound like they are meant for your small family really, but sure I think you'll need to hand them at least a thousand... You have also to see that their investments are long-term, and there's always a risk involved, for how small Peter makes sure it is, so if you're a young guy I'm not sure you really want to go here... You can't just liquidate them when you want the money.

The big concern anyway is making sure you retain the purchasing power of the money you have saved. A simple way to safeguard yourself could just be to hoard money in a strong currency. Checkout how many dollars you would have now if you had bought, say, the Swiss Franc a year ago. Compare it with how much a savings account in the bank would get you (here, you won't get more than 2-3% in interest). You may find out it's actually better to hold some strong money under the mattress than keeping it in the bank. I'm not sure what the strongest currencies are, but I think that they include the Swiss Franc, the Australian Dollar, the New Zealand Dollar and the Singapore Dollar. I think Peter also mentions the Euro, but I'm not sure, check out how much it has been appreaciating. Some people also buy gold coins or gold stocks: that seems more risky to me...

Of course, any gain is nominal, what you are doing is storing the value of your money. Making sure you don't lose out to inflation.

Not Ranked
Posts 42
Points 840
A-R replied on Sun, May 11 2008 7:03 PM

BlackSheep:
I'm not sure what the strongest currencies are, but I think that they include the Swiss Franc, the Australian Dollar, the New Zealand Dollar and the Singapore Dollar.

If all you want is something to keep under the mattress as a hedge for inflation, then Gold is the strongest currency of all.  You can probably get spreads of about 3% or similar to what a bank will trade for foreign (fiat) currency. At best you're just storing your value, but it's nice to have something you can hold and carry with you no matter what happens "out there". Buy physical, pay cash, and no one has to know about it.

I would like to get into to foreign stocks, but I'm worried about what kind of taxes I might have to pay on purely nominal gains.  It seems so unfair to pay capital "gains" on the debasement of your own state's currency.  To me, it's not worth the risk for the possible dividends I might get. I don't know.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 313
Points 4,390
BlackSheep replied on Mon, May 12 2008 12:07 PM

A-R, gold would be better, but I dunno what the best form and from whom I should buy it, and then how to sell it, and it just feels a little more risky. I've read the IMF has been talking up the USA and European countries to sell the gold they have due to the rising of gold prices... Governments still have like half of the gold in existance, so it's not like you're getting out of the control of government policies when going gold... Anyway, do you have any suggestion in the USA for krazy there?

And krazy, please do tell us what course of action you decide to take. If you think this kind of thing is too risky, at least open a savings account for a few months to fight inflation a little bit... Some banks here offer savings for young people (until 25 years old I think) that operate like a current account. You use a debit card as usual, but still get 1-2% on interest (which I think would be none or very close to that, otherwise).

Not Ranked
Posts 42
Points 840
A-R replied on Tue, May 13 2008 1:40 PM

BlackSheep,

You're right about central banks holding much of the world's gold.  Even so: what they own, they can only sell once; whereas they can double the amount of fiat in existence again and again.  I mentioned gold because the transaction and storage costs are lowest.  Silver is a great alternative currency (for us poor men) since very little of it is held by large institutions.  Currently the gold to silver ratio is a bit over 50:1, as compared with historical ratios closer to 20:1 or 15:1.  I think the ratio has many reasons to close back towards historical levels (2 - 3 times rise in silver). 

Like you said, central banks might dump their remaining gold in a last desperate effort to prop up their currencies.  Furthermore, if the general public starts to distrust the currency and are looking to an alternative for every day use, then silver makes a lot more sense than gold.  The tiniest gold coin of any practical use would be worth at least $50+ in today's terms.  A silver "penny" (0.05 Oz T) on the other hand, is just small enough to buy the smallest typical purchases: candy bar, coffee, etc. and only slightly smaller than a current 10 cent piece.  I would see demand for small denomination silver coins possibly increase dramatically in a fiat-money crisis.

As far as risk goes, I don't know.  It kind of depends on your perspective.  When the price of gold is fluctuating by 5 or 10 % from one week to the next, I really see it as the other way around; ie, confidence in fiat money fluctuating wildly up and down.  Just having a few hundred dollars of money in my bank account or in paper makes me lose sleep at night! To me, it seems immoral (as much as it is unavoidable) to hold or deal with even small amounts of fiat money. I prefer not to do business with and support avowed criminals. 1-2% in a bank account sounds terrible.  Inflation is closer to 15% or more, and could change unpredictably.  And by having your money in a bank account, you are actually contributing to inflation!

As far as buying and selling gold or silver, I believe the USA is one of the best places in the world.  You can get good prices through the internet (although not anonymous) or check out coin shows, and coins shops.  Definitely check out different options for the best price.  I think you should be able to do at least as well as 2-3% spread on gold (1oz fine) and 4-5% spread on silver (100oz fine).  Smaller sizes will probably cost more like 7-10%, though.  If you're planning on keeping them to spend directly in a fiat crisis, then "junk" silver (pre-1964 coins) can be a good idea. These can be bought for 5-10% below spot prices; although currently would cost you 15-20% to refine them, I can see them being accepted at par as money in the future.

I would really like to find some merchants around here that will sell their goods directly for silver. At least my drug dealer accepts silver! Other than that, I haven't really looked around; but the less fiat I have to touch, the happier I would be. Big Smile When I spend paper, I really feel like I'm cheating the merchant, passing off a counterfeit note. Probably the more we can grow the silver economy, the better we'll be able to weather future government induced "business cycles".

Sorry to be off the topic of stocks.  I still think stocks will do best in the long run, since they actually do generate returns in addition to capital gains.  Look for highly capitalized stocks with the best dividends.  Definitely don't chase after stocks that are just rising in price (like we all did in the 20's and 90's!)  I'm just turned off by possible taxes, and having a paper trail.  Maybe if you have enough money to pay the transaction costs, it would be worth looking for some tax haven to invest for you?  I don't know how you would be able to smuggle your money back without being detected, though.  Maybe something for a counter-economic entrepreneur to think about.

A-R.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,651
Points 51,325
krazy kaju replied on Sat, May 17 2008 10:48 AM

Well, I've been thinking about investing in Euro Pacific Capital, but I'm also thinking about investing on my own in a precious metal mining company.

Schiff regularly gives suggestions on Fox Business (you can find a few episodes w/ him on youtube), so I might follow one of those suggestions for now.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,651
Points 51,325

BTW guys, I just found this site: http://www.gold-stocks.com/

It has a list of gold mining companies and how their stocks have been doing. I was recently thinking about buying stocks from some Canadian gold, silver, tin, and zinc mining companies.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 14
Points 115

Go to my partners site. www.omegabullion.com

Manny Mars

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 110
phaesed replied on Sun, May 10 2009 8:51 PM

First, I would advise you to read "Conquer the Crash" by Robert Prechter.

That being said, I would not invest in stocks at the moment (I'm also an options trader), I would even shy away from gold as a short term investment, although it is an absolute necessity as a long term one (I personally prefer silver). We have not yet seen the end of this deflationary environment and only when it ends will the dollar begin its true demise.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,651
Points 51,325
krazy kaju replied on Thu, May 14 2009 12:50 PM

BlackSheep:
And krazy, please do tell us what course of action you decide to take. If you think this kind of thing is too risky, at least open a savings account for a few months to fight inflation a little bit... Some banks here offer savings for young people (until 25 years old I think) that operate like a current account. You use a debit card as usual, but still get 1-2% on interest (which I think would be none or very close to that, otherwise).

I'm now thinking about playing it safe by putting my money into some kind of CD, bond, or fixed annuity denominated in either AUDs, NZDs, SGDs, or Yen. I just need to figure out how to go about doing that.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 244
Points 3,785
Pablo replied on Thu, May 14 2009 6:01 PM

I just got some silver from APMEX.com

Pretty good prices in my opinion.

I'm also a jeweler, so if worse comes to worse, I can always cast them into things to sell/trade.

I was actually contemplating making some 'Austrian' silver coins to get up for sale...But we'll see how that goes.

I thought a good investment would be alternative energy companies back before Obama got elected. I bet my money on him winning, and according to his policies he was going to dump tons of money on those companies.. I took the initiative and bought. The market crashed a little after that and brought the little known companies to their knees. You win some you lose some I guess. I've always just bought and sold things on craigslist to make money. I've never made less than a 20-30% return in a matter of weeks... Occaisionally I'll get a really good deal and even double up! $1400 Honda Civic, washed, cleaned, drove for 3 months, sold for $2800. :) Of course, you can't always get those good deals, and its all about keeping up to date on finding them.

As for large investments.. You can always start your own business selling cheap goods? Or perhaps investing in an indian car company? I have been contemplating starting some taco stands around my campus (of course, permits are a bitch).

Good luck!.. and if you find anything, make sure to let me know!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,532
Points 84,495
Stranger replied on Thu, May 14 2009 8:04 PM

As corporations become increasingly regulated, the actual control of shareholders over their business becomes increasingly weak, and the management becomes to true power, proceeding to loot the company for everything until the entire outfit is nationalized. There may not be any safe stocks out there.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Stranger:

As corporations become increasingly regulated, the actual control of shareholders over their business becomes increasingly weak, and the management becomes to true power, proceeding to loot the company for everything until the entire outfit is nationalized. There may not be any safe stocks out there.

And, by extension, corporate bonds.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 130
Points 3,015
cr113 replied on Fri, May 15 2009 9:20 AM

I think Schiff is more concerned with the long term big picture, compared to rating individual companies. I wish I could invest in EuroPac but all my money is tied up in my 401K. I just recently figured out how to go outside of the normal crappy choices in my 401K so I'm in the process of moving my money into gold stocks and foreign companies. What I've been doing is looking at the top ten holdings of gold and international mutual funds to see what they are investing in. I randomly picked some mutual funds and a copied their top ten holdings into a list. Here's what I came up with:

Gold:

Agnico-Eagle Mines

Agnico-Eagle Mines

Agnico-Eagle Mines

Agnico-Eagle Mines

Anglogold Ashanti Limited

Barrick Gold Corporation

Barrick Gold Corporation

Barrick Gold Corporation

Barrick Gold Corporation

Buenaventura Mining Company Inc. ADR

Buenaventura Mining Company Inc. ADR

Eldorado Gold Corporation, Ltd.

Eldorado Gold Corporation, Ltd.

Franco-Nevada Corporation

Franco-Nevada Corporation

GOLD COIN

Gold Fields Limited ADR

Goldcorp, Inc.

Goldcorp, Inc.

Goldcorp, Inc.

Goldcorp, Inc.

Goldcorp, Inc.

IAMGold Corporation

IAMGold Corporation

IAMGold Corporation

Ivanhoe Mines, Ltd.

Kinross Gold Corporation

Kinross Gold Corporation

Kinross Gold Corporation

Lihir Gold Limited

Lihir Gold Limited

Newcrest Mining Limited

Newcrest Mining Limited

Newcrest Mining Limited

Newmont Mining Corporation

Osisko Mining Corporation

Randgold Resources, Ltd. ADR

Royal Gold, Inc.

Silver Wheaton Corporation

SPDR Gold Shares

Yamana Gold, Inc.

Yamana Gold, Inc.

Yamana Gold, Inc.

International:

AEON Mall

Ahold Kon

ALLIANZ SE SPON ADR

Anheuser-Busch Inbev Sa, Bruxelles

AstraZeneca PLC

AstraZeneca PLC

Banco Santander SA

BASF SE

Bayer AG

BG Group PLC

BG Group PLC

BG Group PLC

BHP Billiton PLC

BP PLC

Brazilian Petroleum Corporation

Canon, Inc.

Canon, Inc.

China Life Insurance Company, Ltd.

CNOOC, Ltd.

CSL Limited

Daikin Industries, Ltd.

Deutsche Bank AG

E.ON AG

E.ON AG

E.ON AG

E.ON AG

E.ON AG

Eni

Eni

Eni

Eni

ENI

Essilor International

Essilor International

Eutelsat Communications

Fanuc Ltd.

Fondiaria-Sai Risp

France Telecom SA

GlaxoSmithKline PLC

GlaxoSmithKline PLC

GlaxoSmithKline PLC

Haseko

Heineken N.V.

Hengan International Group Co. Ltd.

Hennes & Mauritz AB

Honda Motor Company

Hong Kong and China Gas Co. Ltd.

Imperial Tobacco Group PLC

Infosys Technologies, Ltd.

iShares MSCI Japan Index

Japan Digital Laboratory

KDDI Corp.

MITSUI & CO LTD

Muenchener Rueckver AG

Muenchener Rueckver AG

MUNICH REINSURANCE (REG)

National Bank of Greece

Nestle

Nestle

Nestle

Nestle

Nestle

Nestle

Nestle

Nintendo

Novartis

Novartis

Novartis

Novo Nordisk A/S

OSAKA GAS CO LTD

QBE Insurance Group Limited

Qiagen NV

Reckitt Benckiser Grp

Reckitt Benckiser Grp

Rio Tinto PLC

ROCHE HLDGS GENUSSSCHEINE

Roche Holding AG

Roche Holding AG

Roche Holding AG

Roche Holding AG

Roche Holding Ltd

Rogers Communications, Inc. B

Royal Dutch Shell PLC

Royal Dutch Shell PLC

Royal Dutch Shell PLC

Royal Dutch Shell PLC B

ROYAL DUTCH SHELL SPN ADR CL A

Samsung Electnc Pfd

Samsung Electronics

Sanofi-Aventis

Sanofi-Aventis

Sanofi-Aventis

Sanofi-Aventis

Sanofi-Aventis

Seven & i Holdings Co., Ltd.

SGS

Sony Financial Hldgs

Swiss Re

Syngenta

Syngenta

Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing ADR

Takeda Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.

Telefonica, S.A.

Telefonica, S.A.

Telefonica, S.A.

Telefonica, S.A.

Tenaris SA ADR

Terumo Corp.

Teva Pharmaceutical Industries, Ltd. ADR

Teva Pharmaceutical Industries, Ltd. ADR

TNT NV

Total SA

Total SA

Total SA

Total SA

Total SA

Total SA

Total SA

TOYOTA MOTOR CORP

Toyota Motor Corporation

Turk Hava Yollari AO

UNICREDIT SPA

Vivendi

Vodafone Group PLC

Vodafone Group PLC

VODAFONE GROUP PLC

Vodafone Group PLC

Vodafone Group PLC

Woodside Petroleum Limited

Zurich Financial Services

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 110
phaesed replied on Fri, May 15 2009 9:24 AM

Actually, I would say corporate bonds (AAA & AA) of SECURE companies such as Microsoft, Miners, etc, etc will be fine if not a better overall investment. But like Prechter is saying, cash is a viable alternative because our purchasing power will continue to increase until deflation is over.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
DanielMuff replied on Fri, May 15 2009 11:37 AM

What a "secure company"?

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Daniel:

What a "secure company"?

General Motors.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 110
phaesed replied on Fri, May 15 2009 12:04 PM

Hahaha..... I'm talking about things like Microsoft, Pfizer, J&J, Nucor, Agico-Eagle Mines, Potash, etc... stuff that MAKES stuff.... not companies that are fads. I'd also attempt to stay out of any US company with lower than AA+ ratings (although those are a sham too). Stay close on Maturities as well.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

AIG

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
DanielMuff replied on Fri, May 15 2009 12:53 PM

Chrysler

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 690
Points 11,315

krazy kaju:

There was a similar thread recently, but I wanted to expand on the scope of the last one.

Mainly, what specific stocks should someone begin buying to profit on the demising dollar?

I was thinking about Peter Schiff's "Crash Proof," but it has relatively poor reviews on Amazon because Schiff doesn't give specifics as to where to invest. He just says to invest in commodities and dividend paying foreign stocks.

So what foreign stocks should one invest in?

Word Choice

Since no "investment advisor", "money manager" , "economist", Fed chairman, or anyone else can consistently and reliably predict future economic events or markets, shouldn't you be using the word  "speculate" rather than "invest"?

For more information about onebornfree, please see profile.[ i.e. click on forum name "onebornfree"].

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,532
Points 84,495
Stranger replied on Fri, May 15 2009 3:02 PM

phaesed:

Actually, I would say corporate bonds (AAA & AA) of SECURE companies such as Microsoft, Miners, etc, etc will be fine if not a better overall investment. But like Prechter is saying, cash is a viable alternative because our purchasing power will continue to increase until deflation is over.

Bonds of government contractors are probably safe investments.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,532
Points 84,495
Stranger replied on Fri, May 15 2009 3:03 PM

onebornfreedotblogspotdotcom:

Word Choice

Since no "investment advisor", "money manager" , "economist", Fed chairman, or anyone else can consistently and reliably predict future economic events or markets, shouldn't you be using the word  "speculate" rather than "invest"?

That bugs as well when people say that they invest in the stock market. An investment is an expenditure in capital that results in higher productivity. Buying stocks is not an investment, it's just savings.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Stranger:

Bonds of government contractors are probably safe investments.

Not during hyperinflation.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

"Investment" means something different in finance than it does in economics.

Page 1 of 1 (31 items) | RSS