Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Frauding Medicare?

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 194
Points 3,900
Gipper Posted: Sun, Apr 3 2011 1:31 PM

Block said in a recent article that it is a "positive virtue to relieve the government of its ill-gotten gains" and:

"Suppose Z steals an apple from Y and then X comes along and takes this fruit away from Z. Did X do anything wrong? Did he act incompatibly with the NAP? Is X no longer a libertarian? Of course not. Very much to the contrary, X did something entirely compatible with our philosophy.""

So would frauding Medicare correlate into being compatible with NAP?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,008
Points 16,185

There is a debate about this in libertarianism... I myself, would agree with Block, but some here just say that that your example is inconsistent with Libertarianism.. There was a recent thread regarding this issue except the topic was whether accepting financial aid was right or not, according to Libertarianism...

My Blog: http://www.anarchico.net/

Production is 'anarchistic' - Ludwig von Mises

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 194
Points 3,900
Gipper replied on Sun, Apr 3 2011 1:52 PM

I figured there would be. Block made a good argument, though.

"I have in my time been "guilty" of accepting subsidies from the state. I shop for food in supermarkets, and eat even more of it in restaurants. I therefore indirectly avail myself of agricultural subsidies (I full well realize that farm goods would be cheaper in the fully free society, but, still, given our lack of economic freedom, there may well be a subsidy in it for me from dining.) I have U.S. fiat fractional reserve bank currency in my wallet and use it too, even though as a libertarian I favor free market (e.g., gold or silver) money. I use streets, sidewalks, roads and highways, brought to me courtesy of our least favorite institution. I went to public schools as a student, and taught at a few of them as a faculty member. I had a New York State Regents’ Scholarship, and I’m not giving back a penny of it to the government. I use public libraries, art galleries and museums, shamelessly. I avail myself of the services of statist parks: Central Park in New York City, Stanley Park in Vancouver, Canada, and Audubon Park when in New Orleans, and others besides. And when I do so, I give off with a little smirk of satisfaction for a job well done. I have written about these transgressions of mine and other aspects of this challenge here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here and here. Please, as the Jewish Mother of the libertarian movement, I absolve all you kinder regarding the guilt you may have accepting these and other such subsidies. Go out there, and proudly get everything you can from the government. Hold your head high; you are doing a mitzvah!"

What have been some arguement against?

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS