Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Glenn Beck's Fox show ending

This post has 74 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 659
Points 13,305
Gero Posted: Wed, Apr 6 2011 9:40 PM

Since the Glenn Beck TV program is ending, what will replace the 5 p.m. ET show? I want Andrew Napolitano to transition from the Fox Business Network to the Fox News Channel so he can get a bigger audience. He has guest hosted for Glenn Beck, so that could help him if he requested to change networks, but I am unsure what his Fox Business contract specifies. I thought about John Stossel doing a daily show, but I prefer his weekly show. He picks a topic, has time to research it, and can make a good show. A daily show is much more time pressure. If Napolitano got on Fox News, he could easily give associates of the Mises Insitute more media exposure by inviting them on as guests.

Thoughts?

• | Post Points: 125
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 917
Points 17,505

I am glad Beck is getting canceled.

I will break in the doors of hell and smash the bolts; there will be confusion of people, those above with those from the lower depths. I shall bring up the dead to eat food like the living; and the hosts of dead will outnumber the living.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 533
Points 8,445

I think, possibly Beck was the exact caricature that is presented to us from the left. By that, I  mean he was a mirror image held up to the lefty kooks.

Tumblr The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants. ~Albert Camus
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Wed, Apr 6 2011 10:05 PM

"I think, possibly Beck was the exact caricature that is presented to us from the left. By that, I  mean he was a mirror image held up to the lefty kooks."

And damn was he proud of it.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,189
Points 22,990

Now if Alex Jones' show could end as well.

Freedom has always been the only route to progress.

Post Neo-Left Libertarian Manifesto (PNL lib)
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 875
Points 14,180
xahrx replied on Wed, Apr 6 2011 10:19 PM

I find it hilarious when people here who supposedly believe in freedom are happy when anyone who isn't a pure doctrinaire anarcho capitalist happens upon misfortune.

Maybe Beck had a choice in this, maybe he and the network are 'mutually agreeing' to go their separate ways.  Who knows.  And Beck certainly wasn't on the ball as far as a true, principled argument for a free society, or even a totally coherent picture of libertarianism.

But so what?  Some people who watched his show might learn more, may even end up here.  What he did, in the end, will likely be a plus for freedom and some here may even enjoy a little more freedom in their lifetimes thanks to Beck and people like him fighting the state.  But hey, he ain't an anarchist, so be glad to see him go.  And forget the fact that his poor mixed up soul and his exploits might, just might, lead to some more freedom for some or even all of us, if only for the passion he invoked in his viewers.

Ten years from now, if he proclaims the state isn't necessary and he is an anarcho capitalist, what then?

Not everyone of good intention ends up agreeing, people.  We lead different lives and end up in different places.  We have different teachers.  All those who fight for and advance the cause of freedom deserve some respect, however imperfectly they go about it at times.  And you never know where they may end up.  As we all start in different places and have different experiences, we all develop and change too.

"I was just in the bathroom getting ready to leave the house, if you must know, and a sudden wave of admiration for the cotton swab came over me." - Anonymous
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,189
Points 22,990

^That's an excellent point. I'm sure some people have come to market anarchy from Rand. Big kudos for that post.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 488
Points 8,140
LeeO replied on Wed, Apr 6 2011 10:41 PM

I was glad he had G. Edward Griffin on the show the other day, but I'm not really sad to see him go. Sometimes I wondered if he was controlled opposition designed to make libertarians seem crazy.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 917
Points 17,505

I find it hilarious when people here who supposedly believe in freedom are happy when anyone who isn't a pure doctrinaire anarcho capitalist happens upon misfortune.

Beck is a crank and acts like he's mildly retarded. His show is stupid, full of nonsense and focuses on totally irrelevant and often false 'issues' just like all the other news apes. I could care less about his vague political slant, the show is stupid and it sucks. All it's good for is seeing how much B.S. he can spout in an episode.

But so what?  Some people who watched his show might learn more, may even end up here.  What he did, in the end, will likely be a plus for freedom and some here may even enjoy a little more freedom in their lifetimes thanks to Beck and people like him fighting the state.  But hey, he ain't an anarchist, so be glad to see him go.  And forget the fact that his poor mixed up soul and his exploits might, just might, lead to some more freedom for some or even all of us, if only for the passion he invoked in his viewers.

This is pretty much irrelevant for me for about ten different reasons.

Ten years from now, if he proclaims the state isn't necessary and he is an anarcho capitalist, what then?

Then he'll still be a half-retarded crank who believes in impossible conspiracies and caricatured versions of history. Hey, he should fit right in with AnCaps!

Not everyone of good intention ends up agreeing, people.  We lead different lives and end up in different places.  We have different teachers.  All those who fight for and advance the cause of freedom deserve some respect, however imperfectly they go about it at times.  And you never know where they may end up.  As we all start in different places and have different experiences, we all develop and change too.

Beh, the show sucks and he's a whackjob. The fact that he might vaguely agree with me on some things (and then get the details horrendously wrong) doesn't matter; just because Will Wheaton is a libertarian doesn't change the fact that he's a bad actor.

I will break in the doors of hell and smash the bolts; there will be confusion of people, those above with those from the lower depths. I shall bring up the dead to eat food like the living; and the hosts of dead will outnumber the living.
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,365
Points 30,945

Just because I am a free marketer does not mean I have to like or agree with other free marketers.

And just because someone else is a free marketer does not mean he or she has to like me.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 917
Points 17,505

Prateek Sanjay:

Just because I am a free marketer does not mean I have to like or agree with other free marketers.

And just because someone else is a free marketer does not mean he or she has to like me.

Likewise, just because something isn't libertarian doesn't mean it's not cool; and just because something is libertarian doesn't mean it is. I'd much rather read Caesar wax triumphant about his conquests in Gaul than J. Neil Schulman.
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,365
Points 30,945

Everytime, I go to LRC, I feel a little guilty, because it's occasionally seems a website for beer-bellied rednecks. I say this as one who deeply respects Rockwell, Gordon,.etc.

Why?

Cranks talking about how to end your obesity in 10 days, as if mostly obese people visit the site. Elderly folk advertising how they ended the "electricity monopoly". Discussions of tax havens. Defenses of professional wrestling, with even David Gordon saying, "The elites don't enjoy professional wrestling, but Kane is smarter than many of them."

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 917
Points 17,505

Prateek Sanjay:

Everytime, I go to LRC, I feel a little guilty, because it's occasionally seems a website for beer-bellied rednecks. I say this as one who deeply respects Rockwell, Gordon,.etc.

Why?

Cranks talking about how to end your obesity in 10 days, as if mostly obese people visit the site. Elderly folk advertising how they ended the "electricity monopoly". Discussions of tax havens. Defenses of professional wrestling, with even David Gordon saying, "The elites don't enjoy professional wrestling, but Kane is smarter than many of them."

LRC is definitely a mixed bag. The medical nuttery, the weirdo conspiracy theories, anything Gerald Celente writes, etc. are just curiosities to me but I can definitely see a lot of educated people going 'wtf' and assuming libertarians are all nutters. Of course, half of us are.
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,365
Points 30,945

I totally sympathise with Boettke calling himself a Coordination Problem economist in fleeing in terror from us.

One confusion. Lew Rockwell, along with other LRCers, complains about the double standards and abuses towards Mexicans and blacks. Then he will also complain about multiculturalism and political correctness of "liberals". And say that we need to move beyond worrying about "racism". WTF?

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 917
Points 17,505

Prateek Sanjay:

I totally sympathise with Boettke calling himself a Coordination Problem economist in fleeing in terror from us.

One confusion. Lew Rockwell, along with other LRCers, complains about the double standards and abuses towards Mexicans and blacks. Then he will also complain about multiculturalism and political correctness of "liberals". And say that we need to move beyond worrying about "racism". WTF?

Well, I would say the sensible way to view this is that sectarians (including racial minorities) are captured by the State apparatus and subverted by it, and then kept in line by force. No one is thinking 'let's keep the Mexicans in line', but when they go after the 'Hispanic vote' they produce an underclass which then becomes segregated into communities with the worst police and the most crime. Also, there is a difference between cosmopolitanism - adopting what is good from wherever you can get it - and multiculturalism which is in fact cultural homogenization, i.e the use of exogenous cultures to subvert basic European bourgeousie norms. However I can not say I have ever seen Lew articulate this position, he may just be inconsistent.
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,365
Points 30,945

Do you any Hispanic who has also personally felt that way? Just asking.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Thu, Apr 7 2011 3:21 AM

What the heck? They're cancelling Glenn Beck?! That's like cancelling apple pie!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 875
Points 14,180
xahrx replied on Thu, Apr 7 2011 7:38 AM

"Beck is a crank and acts like he's mildly retarded. His show is stupid, full of nonsense and focuses on totally irrelevant and often false 'issues' just like all the other news apes. I could care less about his vague political slant, the show is stupid and it sucks. All it's good for is seeing how much B.S. he can spout in an episode." - Ricky James Moore II

Like Woodrow Wilson being the father of progressivism and getting us involved in a war we should have avoided and starting social programs we likewise should have avoided?  But, then again, Beck still worshipped Lincoln.  Yeah, he was imperfect.  What are you, The Terminator?  As for retarded, most people would call his demeanor 'precious'.

"This is pretty much irrelevant for me for about ten different reasons."

Good for you.  If and when you enjoy some extra freedom because of Beck, be sure to toast yourself and your attitude.  I get the feeling you're the type who would spit on someone who returned your lost wallet to you if he hadn't cleaned it first.

"Just because I am a free marketer does not mean I have to like or agree with other free marketers.

And just because someone else is a free marketer does not mean he or she has to like me." - Prateek Sanjay

I'm not saying you have to like him.  But, analogously, when I used to speak to people about the war on drugs I would sometimes tell them a nice story about a jail cell with two people in it, a steroid user and a weed user.  And both thought the other belonged in there, but not himself, oh no.  The weed smoker wanted the roid user locked up, the roid user wanted the pot head locked up, and so they both ended up because they were too stupid to realize their own common cause.  I wonder what they might accomplish if they worked together instead of cat fighting about the details of their particular favored substances.

"What the heck? They're cancelling Glenn Beck?! That's like cancelling apple pie!" - Marko

lol

"I was just in the bathroom getting ready to leave the house, if you must know, and a sudden wave of admiration for the cotton swab came over me." - Anonymous
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,189
Points 22,990

At least Beck wasn't always full of crap, and at least was sort of libertarian (he supports drug legalization). He brought on Ron Paul, Napolitano and even Rob Kampia, without attacking like a pitbulll.

I'd keep Beck if Bill O or Rush can quit.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 340
Points 6,230

While I agree with most of the anti-Beck sentiment here, I will say that I credit him in large part for curing me of my neoconism.  There was a time when I listened to, and for the most part agreed with, Limbaugh, Levin, etc (but never Hannity, thank god)... but I turned them off when I realized that they couldn't for even 5 minutes interrupt their rants against Democrats to even acknowledge the impending economic crash.  Of the major conservative hosts, only Beck (and Savage a little bit) ever sounded the alarm.  Beck constantly exorted his audience to "read for yourself" and "question boldly", and as flawed as some of his views are, to me that's a valuable message to get out.  I think it would have taken me longer to find Ron Paul and AE if I hadn't listened to Beck to bridge the gap.

Now, I will concede that once he went to Fox he changed immensely from "just a dumb guy trying to make sense of the world" to some kind of weird self-styled freedom fighter, at which point I quickly stopped watching him.  I don't care that he's off the air now and it's certainly possible that, on net, he has not helped the liberty movement.  But I do acknowledge that, at least in my case, he helped me.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 445
Points 9,445

Ricky wants the terrorists to win.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

I agree with xahrx here.  This "ana-cap?  No?  Screw em." attitude is really getting annoying.  It sounds exactly like holier-than-thou evangelicals and leftist Janeane Garofalo types.

But to get back to the OP, I totally agree.  I would love to see the Judge take the 5pm slot on the main news channel.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 875
Points 14,180
xahrx replied on Thu, Apr 7 2011 9:40 AM

"But to get back to the OP, I totally agree.  I would love to see the Judge take the 5pm slot on the main news channel." - John James

Damn man, I don't get home from work until 7 at the earliest.  I'll miss Freedom Watch if that happens.  It's the only show on TV i've gone out of my way to watch since Dirty Jobs came on.

That show is a great example.  Not more than a year ago if Lew Rockwell had shown up on a show, it would have been for the sole purpose of asking him hatchet job questions to show the audience how kooky he was.  It's because of people like the judge and Beck being in the media and working their way into main stream shows that now Austrians and those who at least understand and respect the Austrian view will show up on TV and be treated respectfully.  People like Ron Paul and Lew Rockwell laid the groundwork for this step, now people who are at least sympathetic or closer to the ancap view are on main stream media shows and being treated more or less fairly.  And I don't get the attitude against them.  If you're drowning are you going to refuse a life preserver because the guy who threw it to you disagreed with you?  Some of the ideas and questions are out there thanks to these guys.

I remember seeing som third party presidential candidates being interviewed once.  The reporter got to the Constitution cadidate I believe and asked him his opinion on gun rights, and then asked if that meant people could own and carry bazookas.  Then they cut to commercial.  fast forward to today and Beck, odd ball that he is, has a show on a main stream channel.  Napolitano too, more or less.  People are calling for the repeal of the Fed and being taken seriously.  People are questioning the president's current wars and being taken seriously.  Police are abusing their powers and Napolitano is reporting on it and he's being taken seriously.

I guess I'm glad I'm not the only poerson here who recognizes progress and is thankful for it.  Frankly I never thought I'd live to see the day where I could publicly express my views on The Fed and not be branded a nut.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 11
Points 220

Good riddance.

"Whoever will be free must make himself free. Freedom is no fairy gift to fall into a man's lap. What is freedom? To have the will to be responsible for one's self." ~ Max Stirner
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 429
Points 7,400

^ Liberte is back :)

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 917
Points 17,505

Like Woodrow Wilson being the father of progressivism and getting us involved in a war we should have avoided and starting social programs we likewise should have avoided?

Like having an idiot caricature of the Progressive legacy and artificially separating the modern 'conservative' movement from it. Like obviously not understanding historical Progressivism or the figures in it, and instead spouting off the same hackneyed bullshit that Jonah Goldberg does.

I recommend you read Gottfried on Beck's nonsense. Like Goldberg, he is incapable of serious analysis of the Progressive movement and has no real understanding of its history, he's just using it for sectarian bullshit.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,365
Points 30,945

Progressivism supposedly stretched far across from 1870 to the late 1920s, according to some interpretations.

I am not American and I am not qualified to speak on American matters any more than you folks are on South Asian matters, but here's what I (vaguely) know.

1) There were a lot of Republicans involved in the Progressive Era, and these Republicans also liked to hide behind limited government rhetoric while also pushing for similar programs.

2) It was more of a coalition of people with contradictory and differing ideas. One of the more racist Progressives, as Daniel Kuehn explained in his blog, disliked Teddy Roosevelt, another Progressive, and called him a "miscegenationist".

It's all utterly confusing to me to understand what the Progressives wanted, because there was no one type of Progressive.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,189
Points 22,990

Just cause the new member is female, is using some fake profile picture, and likes Stirner, doesn't mean it's Liberte. Though it does make it likely.

EDIT: It's probably Liberte. Welcome back!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 11
Points 220

?

Are you talking about me?

"Whoever will be free must make himself free. Freedom is no fairy gift to fall into a man's lap. What is freedom? To have the will to be responsible for one's self." ~ Max Stirner
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,365
Points 30,945

Before you, there were two sarcastic women with a very bitter style, and we assumed they were the same person - Vichy Army and Liberte.

You are not here, since she was Singaporean and quite Chinese...I think.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 11
Points 220

Why do you assume I'm a sarcastic and bitter woman?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,189
Points 22,990

It's not neccesarily a bad thing. It's just Max Stirner. This:

"Natalie spends most of her time reading old books, eating junk food, and arguing with idiots"

All very much like Vichy/Liberte. Prateek, I'm sure that Liberte's profile picture was a false one.

Not liberte :( Dissapoint. 

Well welcome new mises member!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,365
Points 30,945

I don't. Others seem to have. They are sensitive to negativity.

But by all means, we don't see many women around here. Check the gender signs under all avatars.

And sorry for the trouble, if any.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,105
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

I notice your facebook profile is as brand new as your Mises account.

Exploring the internet for the first time?

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,365
Points 30,945

Don't stalk people, nir. ;)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Thu, Apr 7 2011 1:14 PM

Before you, there were two sarcastic women with a very bitter style, and we assumed they were the same person - Vichy Army and Liberte.

I thought that was Ricky James.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 875
Points 14,180
xahrx replied on Thu, Apr 7 2011 2:39 PM

"I recommend you read Gottfried on Beck's nonsense. Like Goldberg, he is incapable of serious analysis of the Progressive movement and has no real understanding of its history, he's just using it for sectarian bullshit." - Ricky James Moore II

Already read it.  And it's irrelevant to my point, which is that now someone else might read it thanks to Beck.  Goldberg and Beck aren't capable of serious analysis?  Neither is the majority of the population, who will in the end have to agree not to shoot people like you and me if we ever hope to arrive at true freedom.  Which means we might occassionally be friendly and not sneer at people for not having specialized knowledge which in their opinion does them little to no practical good.

That is until people like  Beck turned them on the relevancy of it, wrongly done or not.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 917
Points 17,505

Already read it.  And it's irrelevant to my point, which is that now someone else might read it thanks to Beck.  Goldberg and Beck aren't capable of serious analysis?  Neither is the majority of the population, who will in the end have to agree not to shoot people like you and me if we ever hope to arrive at true freedom.

Except we're not going to arrive at that, because I live in the real world full of billions of idiots who don't care whether or not they're right and have a vested interest in primate status games. Some imaginary future is totally irrelevant to me, once I'm dead the planet can take an asteroid hit for all I care.

Which means we might occassionally be friendly and not sneer at people for not having specialized knowledge which in their opinion does them little to no practical good.

Except it makes no difference, even if you manage to convince hundreds or thousands of people; so treating them like the herd animals they are seems appropriate and rewarding. It's not that they don't have specialized knowledge, it's that they have the gumption to form opinions about subjects they are obviously totally ignorant of, such as sociology, metaphysics, etc. If they'd just shut their God damn mouths like I do about molecular biology and Armenian literature I wouldn't care much; but as long as they're going to spout their bullshit arbitrary opinions, screw them.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,037
Points 17,975

I'd like to know one 'new freedom' we have enjoyed since the advent of television.  Much less since the advent of Beck.  There is about zero chance new freedoms are going to turn up because of him.  He just riles people because the Christo-fascists in this country need a Crusade.  The war against Islam is too boring at this point; they need something.  And abstract 'big government' fills that void.  Until the tea party candidates are entrenched.

I think it will be funny if now that the free market has thrown him off his soap box, via advertiser boycott, if he changes his opinion about the free market.  And just become a Christo-fascist like he wants to be anyway.  Or maybe he will ditch politics and become a televangelist.

If you go back through the history of television, many people have tried to promote ideas and philosophy; or freedom ideas in particular.  Ayn Rand was on TV many times.  PJ Orourke is on Bill Maher's programs.  The list goes on.  It changes nothing.  People are fickle and discard things fast.  When the show goes out of circulation, it is forgotten by all but those who can salvage it through youtube (and search for it on youtube).  With Beck, people just associate these ideas with unintelligence.  With Rand and Orourke, there is at least some style and intelligence.  Beck's fox news era will just be considered that fad when anti-government ideology was the thing to talk about on TV at night.  And people will even consider the likes of Hayek and Rand, which he promoted (to their detriment), as signifiers of moronism.  Rand already has the cliche tag of being for high school kids.  Now Hayek has also been dragged through the mud.  On top of which, people are going to quickly find Hayek's promotion of government on some things and use it against us.  Like they do with Milton Friedman.

.dDiv

vvvvvvvvvI

housing

Searching...

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

'Like Woodrow Wilson being the father of progressivism and getting us involved in a war we should have avoided and starting social programs we likewise should have avoided?  But, then again, Beck still worshipped Lincoln.  Yeah, he was imperfect.  What are you, The Terminator?  As for retarded, most people would call his demeanor 'precious'.'

And this right here is why I have an immense dislike of Glenn Beck. He doesn't do actual historical research yet blabs about history often times making false statements and giving idealist carictures of history. Woodrow Wilson was not the father of Progressivism. Progressivism started with the Populist Party in the 1890's, perhaps even in 1885 with Josiah Strong's work Our Country. Beck, like other political pundits, has no business involving himself in the study of history since he is not trained to engage in such things. You see this so often in the history profession. Inept research, unverified presentation of "facts," plagarism, forgeries held up as originals and it is almost always from amateur "historians." Individuals who engage in history as a hobby and not as a profession. Sometimes I just want to go to the political history section of Barnes and Nobles and shred all of those idiotic books by pundits. "Democrats strangle kittens: The history of how Liberals are screwing over the kitten community and destroying our way of life"

'Men do not change, they unmask themselves' - Germaine de Stael

Previous | Next
Page 1 of 2 (75 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS