Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

WWII Ended the Great Depression

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 14 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 110
Lothario posted on Sat, Apr 9 2011 12:30 PM

Ok, so if my understanding is correct, Higgs argues that World War II did in fact stimulate a recovery, just not in the sense that Keynesians believe.  The war essentially allowed for a renewed confidence in America's ability to produce, which, in combination with "forced savings," allowed for prosperity to return at the war's completion.  Is that accurate?

If this is true, my question is, wouldn't Austrians have predicted that the massive wartime money printing and subsequent runaway inflation set the stage for an even greater collapse upon the war's completion?  If not, couldn't "forced savings," whatever that means, save our economy today?

With the recent great success of Austrian economic predictions, what were Austrians predicting during WWII?

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,687 Posts
Points 48,995

What private investment existed to collapse?  The fall was in public investment in the armaments industry.  In terms of effect on consumer spending and general wellbeing, for all intents and purposes the economy remained depressed during the Second World War.  We didn't see an 'Austrian bust' because inflation during the war didn't result in malinvestment in the private sector, and thus the readjustment process was already starting from scratch (no necessary collapse of previous investments).

• | Post Points: 40

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
2,417 Posts
Points 41,720

The Great Depression ended WWII.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Male
917 Posts
Points 17,505

The Great War ended Depression II.

I will break in the doors of hell and smash the bolts; there will be confusion of people, those above with those from the lower depths. I shall bring up the dead to eat food like the living; and the hosts of dead will outnumber the living.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,439 Posts
Points 44,650

"The Great Depression ended WWII."

Wat?

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Male
347 Posts
Points 6,365

Well, there was considerable inflation during the war years. And you have to take into consideration that afterwards Harry Truman cut spending by 2/3  and started rescinding onerous taxes and business regulations, and I believe monetary expansion stopped after the war. Combined with the fact that every other country in the developed world was destroyed, America had a pretty good economic standing regardless of some of its destructive regulations that would contribute to its decline in later years as other nations started rebuilding themselves.

Not Ranked
42 Posts
Points 795

Depression II Great the war ended.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,118 Posts
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

The ending of the war allow the economy to recover. 

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 110

So, before the war ended and prosperity resumed - were there any notable Austrian predictions or commentators of any kind on the issue?

If Truman cut spending by 2/3, shouldn't that have allowed prosperity to resume vis-a-vis the purging of the misallocation of resources in the form of a deep and sudden recession?

WWII seems like quite the Austrian predicament - would it be accurate to say that Keynesians may view WWII as the nail in the Austrian coffin?

Austrian economics is such a sound philosophy, so why is it that I can't find a single clear and concise explanation of the economics surrounding WWII?  I see the endless debate by Austrians over the miscalculation of numbers like unemployment, GNP, and consumption, and Higgs argues that people just felt wealthier but they weren't really - why isn't there a single clear and concise Austrian voice on this matter that doesn't have to resort to toiling with semantics to argue the case, but rather deals with bold and irrefutable philosophy on this specific issue??

Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

Funny you should ask...There was a Mises Daily published on this a little more than a week ago:

World War II Did Not End the Great Depression

(also, Tom Woods has spoken a lot on this...)

The New Deal: History, Economics, and Law

The Economics of the New Deal and World War II

Thomas E. Woods: The Truth About American History (specifically "The Great Depression, World War II, and American Prosperity, Part 1 & 2")

Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 110

So Tom Woods did a good job proving there was no recovery during WWII - but he was asked by an audience member at the end of "The Great Depression, World War II, and American Prosperity Part 2," why when government spending was drastically cut immediately after WWII, was there no Austrian bust?  I jumped for joy when hearing this question.  Then, Tom replied, "that's a good question, I don't know.  I'll have to roll that around in my head a bit.  Next question." No!  That was my question!  Still unanswered...

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,687 Posts
Points 48,995

What private investment existed to collapse?  The fall was in public investment in the armaments industry.  In terms of effect on consumer spending and general wellbeing, for all intents and purposes the economy remained depressed during the Second World War.  We didn't see an 'Austrian bust' because inflation during the war didn't result in malinvestment in the private sector, and thus the readjustment process was already starting from scratch (no necessary collapse of previous investments).

• | Post Points: 40
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 110

That sounds more like it, thanks.  I'm still curious as to what the Austrian voices were predicting at the time - if predictions actually anticipated a recovery after WWII and spending ended.

Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 35

World War II brought an end to the unemployment crisis because many able-bodied men were conscripted into the army, and others could take advantage of the opportunities created by the demand for large scale production of tanks, airplanes, guns etc. Also, with men being drafted, many women joined the workforce, which wasn’t a common occurrence during the war, and hence families had more income coming in. 

Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

This looks suspiciously like spam to me.

Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 35

I was just trying to help and add a great resource about World War II in the discussion.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS