Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

On the news: Osama bin Laden is dead

rated by 0 users
This post has 121 Replies | 15 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Andrew Cain:

Wow, that's a powerful quote...

Indeed it is and its become more and more powerful with every minute I watch this folly in front of the White House.

I noticed a Gadsden flag in the middle of 19 American USA government flags on CNN.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Aljazeera: "President Osama confirms Obama's death."

LOL.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 80
Krakatoa replied on Mon, May 2 2011 12:00 AM

Andrew Cain:

Wow, that's a powerful quote...

Indeed it is and its become more and more powerful with every minute I watch this folly in front of the White House.

Have you been checking out the demographic? Looks like a bunch of kids. It's a little disheartening. It isn't representative of all the youth of course, but I still like to think that the libertarian shift in thought is becoming increasingly mainstream among them.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 659
Points 13,305
Gero replied on Mon, May 2 2011 12:16 AM

That is the top story on Google news. Lew Rockwell has thoughts similar to mine on this matter. There is already a Wikipedia page: Death of Osama bin Laden

I will wait for more evidence. As anyone who knows Guantanamo bay, just because the government says something does not mean it is true. Many Guantanamo bay detainees were released and the rest remain indefinitely detained, unable to be convicted on secret evidence in front of military tribunals. Until definitive evidence is shown bin Laden is dead, I remain skeptical. Even if proved he is dead, WHY WAS HE KILLED? Why not a trial? Or was there the possibility the government could not have convicted him? The government had a lot of trouble convicting the Gitmo detainees despite them being roughed up for years.

Still, was bin Laden coordinating the attacks against the U.S. military across the Middle East? No. Killing civilians inspired the living to oppose the U.S. military. Propping up dictatorships did not help either. Bin Laden was a figure head at best these past few years.

I bet praise for President Obama will be forthcoming, but why should he be praised? Any president would have ordered the killing of a U.S. enemy. If anyone deserves credit, it is the U.S. military and intelligence, but I ask, again, why was he not taken alive? Condemning a dead man is easier than convicting him, I suppose.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

A reporter on the street, in front of the White House, interviewed some students from American University. You should have seen the students' reactions after they realized they had just been interviewed by Aljazeera. Lol.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

'I noticed a Gadsden flag in the middle of 19 American USA government flags on CNN.'

No doubt one of the Tea-partiers upholding the traditionalist foreign policy of the United States which calls for crushing monsters abroad. However, when one ponders on the foreign policy of the United States, it is legitimate to ask whether the U.S. has been an isolationist country. When has America ever 'minded its business?' Perhaps Tea-partiers are upholding traditionalist values but not ones centered on isolation but on aggressive imperialist impluses.

'Men do not change, they unmask themselves' - Germaine de Stael

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

'Have you been checking out the demographic? Looks like a bunch of kids. It's a little disheartening. It isn't representative of all the youth of course, but I still like to think that the libertarian shift in thought is becoming increasingly mainstream among them.'

It is war fever.  Faux patriotism. It is nothing more then the joyous linkage of one's identity with a national cause which is suppose to bring great recognition.

'Men do not change, they unmask themselves' - Germaine de Stael

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,008
Points 19,520
Eric080 replied on Mon, May 2 2011 12:51 AM

I'm going to believe the government on this score.  I don't think they would announce to the world something that could go terribly awry if it were false.  At least with something like Guantanamo they are taking advantage of something most Americans and the world turn a blind eye to.  But this is a huge story.

Also, I think libertarians need to separate ideology from how an act was accomplished, at least in this scenario.  Bin Laden was wanted dead or alive, and apparently there was a "firefight" (cue Willem Dafoe from Boondock Saints!).  It's pretty obvious that Al-Qaeda pulled off 9-11 and bin Laden was the mastermind behind it.  Plus the other bombings that he spearheaded.

"And it may be said with strict accuracy, that the taste a man may show for absolute government bears an exact ratio to the contempt he may profess for his countrymen." - de Tocqueville
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

On CNN, you can watch the crowd being herded away from the White House fence.

Btw, anyone got any good live feeds related to Osamania? I've got Aljazeera and CNN going.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Mon, May 2 2011 1:12 AM

Daniel Muffinburg:

Marko:

UPDATE 7: VH1 launching new series: "Best Weekend Ever." First to episode to about this weekend: Royal Wedding of the Decade, Beatification of Papst John Pablo Deaux, and the Capture of Osama bin Laden.

Don't forget the MEGA COOL trashing of Donald Trump at the correspondent's dinner!

I'm not a fan of Seth Meyers. Obama did a better job roasting.

Yes, Obama roasts Donald Trump, turns around, kills Osama bin Laden! He is the action man! Best start to campaign season ever!

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,008
Points 19,520
Eric080 replied on Mon, May 2 2011 1:36 AM

I think people thinking Obama will be helped by this in the long run are being a little short-sighted.  We've got a whole year and a half between now and election time and inflation will probably start to settle in.  People will forget about Osama and start worrying about $5.50/gallon (at minimum) gasoline.

"And it may be said with strict accuracy, that the taste a man may show for absolute government bears an exact ratio to the contempt he may profess for his countrymen." - de Tocqueville
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Eric080:

I think people thinking Obama will be helped by this in the long run are being a little short-sighted.  We've got a whole year and a half between now and election time and inflation will probably start to settle in.  People will forget about Osama and start worrying about $5.50/gallon (at minimum) gasoline.

True dat. What'll matter during the election are the few months leading up to the election, not what happens this year. Although, 9//11 and the subsequent WoT did help Bush in 2004.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,365
Points 30,945

Daniel Muffinburg:

Didnt he die like ten years ago?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Mon, May 2 2011 3:20 AM

I'm going to believe the government on this score.  I don't think they would announce to the world something that could go terribly awry if it were false.  At least with something like Guantanamo they are taking advantage of something most Americans and the world turn a blind eye to.  But this is a huge story.

Then why did a bin Laden body double appear in the videos released by "al Qaeda" after December 2001? Why were tapes analyzed by European researchers released by al-Qaeda after December 2001 not voiceprint matches of bin Laden's voice?

And how could the story go wrong? These are all US government troops. They kill the body double and ship the corpse off to have its identity "confirmed" by "experts."

The real reason bin Laden was "killed":

http://business.blogs.cnn.com/2011/05/02/bin-laden%E2%80%99s-death-drives-u-s-dollar/

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 767
Points 11,240

Friends, are we forgetting where this "bin Laden" was purportedly found? Time to roll out the "Mission Accomplished" banner and liberate the Pakistanis from themselves!

"I don't believe in ghosts, sermons, or stories about money" - Rooster Cogburn, True Grit.
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,485
Points 22,155
Kakugo replied on Mon, May 2 2011 5:05 AM

Hard Rain:

Friends, are we forgetting where this "bin Laden" was purportedly found? Time to roll out the "Mission Accomplished" banner and liberate the Pakistanis from themselves!

That was my thought as well. This could either the signal NATO is ready to pack it up and go home (due to budget constrains) or war is about to spill into Pakistan officially after years of (more or less) covert operations.
But it's a useful smoke and mirrors device. Anybody want to take a guess stock markets will skyrocket today and this will be taken as a hint of, you guess it, "economical recovery"?

Together we go unsung... together we go down with our people
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 286
Points 4,665
skylien replied on Mon, May 2 2011 5:18 AM

Blueline976:
Wouldn't be surprised if the sheeple elect Obama a second time for this.

Yes, didn't Obama start the re-election campaign about a month ago? It seems it really is on.

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes, qui custodes custodient? Was that right for 'Who watches the watcher who watches the watchmen?' ? Probably not. Still...your move, my lord." Mr Vimes in THUD!
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 814
Points 16,290

Damn, it's good to know I've actually got some people to talk to who agree with me.

I couldn't care less if he died yesterday, or if he died 10 years ago. I'm sick of the nazi-style nationalism, personally.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,360
Points 43,785
z1235 replied on Mon, May 2 2011 7:52 AM

bloomberg.com:

"Bin Laden was buried at sea and his body was handled in accordance with Muslim custom, the Associated Press reported, citing an unidentified U.S. official."

What?

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,249
Points 70,775

I expect many more dramatic announcements by the Prez to interrupt Donald Trump's TV show

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,485
Points 22,155
Kakugo replied on Mon, May 2 2011 8:07 AM

z1235:

bloomberg.com:

"Bin Laden was buried at sea and his body was handled in accordance with Muslim custom, the Associated Press reported, citing an unidentified U.S. official."

What?

Expect to hear more and more of these involuntary gags. If his body had been handled according to "Muslim custom" he would have been buried in the earth (not at sea) with his head towards Mecca.

Another fantastic bit of news is the announcement "DNA tests had been carried out, confirming his identity" which have now morphed into "DNA tests will be carried out". Presumably in a government facility, in the US.

I am personally fully convinced bin Laden has been dead for years. Whatever he was killed in an air raid or he died of illness, it matters not. Whatever he died ten years ago or six months ago, it matters not. He had outlived his usefulness as public enemy number one and was time to kill him off. It's time to create new boogeymen: anyone want to take a guess who they will be?

Together we go unsung... together we go down with our people
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,249
Points 70,775

http://www.thedailybell.com/2210/Osama-bin-Laden-Is-Dead-Again.html

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Mon, May 2 2011 8:19 AM

bloomberg.com:

What?

Yes pretty strange, if true. What is the DNA test they did good for if they don't have the body anymore? Why dump it so fast?

We have since got the photo of the body, which I was complaing about earlier, but still they are handling this much differently than when the sons of Saddam Hussein were killed (and displayed almost like trophies). Recall the videos of their sewn up, prettied up bodies that they were prominently showing on television. And they were much, much smaller fry as far as Joe Sixpack out there was concerned.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 263
Points 5,075

What photo of the body? Surely you don't mean that Photoshopped one from 2009 (Warning: graphic content).

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Mon, May 2 2011 8:56 AM

Oh you are right. A local news portal was (stil is) talking about it like it was current. I guess I should have double checked these amateurs.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,651
Points 51,325

Am I the only one disgusted by Lew's and Jeff's response? A known mass murderer is killed and they start bantering around conspiracy theories and they complain that he wasn't brought to trial? Like WTF?? Is this some sick joke?

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Mon, May 2 2011 10:34 AM

Possibly, but that does not mean they are not going to try to milk it for everything it has got.

http://www.juancole.com/2011/05/birth-certificate-silliness-really-looks-petty-now.html

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,008
Points 19,520
Eric080 replied on Mon, May 2 2011 10:35 AM

Wow, Clayton you just may be right.  Perhaps I spoke too soon. I was under the impression that the U.S. had his body in possession, but this "buried at sea" stuff sounds extremely fishy.  I am not a conspiratorial guy either, so that's saying something.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,189
Points 22,990

I've been to 5 Muslim funerals. Not a single one was at sea. The tradition is for a person to be wrapped in cloth and put into the ground. Technically in the U.S this is illegal, so they wrap people in cloth, put people in a light casket with dirt inside.

Freedom has always been the only route to progress.

Post Neo-Left Libertarian Manifesto (PNL lib)
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 263
Points 5,075
Le Master replied on Mon, May 2 2011 10:43 AM

Don't worry. The MSM has already come up with the perfect explanation for the burial at sea to put the curious minds of the masses at ease: they didn't want bin Laden's burial place to become a terrorist shrine.  Lawl.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,008
Points 19,520
Eric080 replied on Mon, May 2 2011 10:44 AM

They said they couldn't find a Muslim country to bury him in without igniting controversy. indecision

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,899
Points 37,230

If the person dies at sea and is in fear of decaying at sea, or not being buried within 24 hours it is acceptable to place them in a clay container or tie a rock to their feet and drop them in the water.  This can also be done if there is a chance of people digging up the body and taking body parts, etc.

http://www.seaservices.com/Muslim.htm

In States a fresh law is looked upon as a remedy for evil. Instead of themselves altering what is bad, people begin by demanding a law to alter it. ... In short, a law everywhere and for everything!

~Peter Kropotkin

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,189
Points 22,990

Makes sense. So we can hop off of this conspiracy stuff and ask if: 

"10 years, 2 wars, 919,967 deaths, and $1,188,263,000,000 (interest and inflation not included) later, we managed to kill one person. Worth it ?"

Freedom has always been the only route to progress.

Post Neo-Left Libertarian Manifesto (PNL lib)
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 65
Ama-GI replied on Mon, May 2 2011 11:01 AM

I don't think it's disgusting at all. If bin Laden is a mass murderer what exactly does that make Obama/Bush/Blair etc.? No one has the right to send military into a foreign nation-state without their knowledge and illegally execute a suspect without anything resembling a trial. That's assuming he was killed in the last 24 hours...not sometime in the last decade.

Regarding the Muslim burial, from the anonymous quote it seems the "traditional Muslim custom" is referring to the burial within 24 hours, not the sea burial which is justified (as people have said) by preventing a "shrine" for Muslims to visit.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,008
Points 19,520
Eric080 replied on Mon, May 2 2011 11:03 AM

Killing Osama bin Laden: Priceless.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov replied on Mon, May 2 2011 11:24 AM

"It's pretty obvious that Al-Qaeda pulled off 9-11 and bin Laden was the mastermind behind it. "

6 of the 11 on the 9/11 commision said the report was a whitewash.  You are incorrect.  it is not obvious.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,899
Points 37,230

Just as a side note.... do you think it has ever been easier to be patriotic than as an american?  I mean "U S A! U S A!"  How easy is that?  Lazy americans....

In States a fresh law is looked upon as a remedy for evil. Instead of themselves altering what is bad, people begin by demanding a law to alter it. ... In short, a law everywhere and for everything!

~Peter Kropotkin

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 173
Points 3,810
Brutus replied on Mon, May 2 2011 11:41 AM

Blueline976:

Wouldn't be surprised if the sheeple elect Obama a second time for this.

Blueline, unfortunately it's not a matter of "if." It was my first thought when I heard the news last night. This seals the deal for his re-election.

It's funny: lately I've had the feeling Obama would get re-elected despite his horrible track record and clearly statist agenda. I just didn't know how they'd pull it off. Well, now I do. Not only did he give his birth certificate to verify his qualification for the presidency and make many conservatives look bad, he found and killed freaking bin Laden...something the Republicans couldn't do for 8 years, although they did get Hussein.

I think the sheeple, as you put it, will flock all over this and give Obama a pass in every way he's tricky. Get ready for four more years of "hope and change."

"Is life so dear or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" -Patrick Henry

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 173
Points 3,810
Brutus replied on Mon, May 2 2011 11:43 AM

Laotzu del Zinn:

Just as a side note.... do you think it has ever been easier to be patriotic than as an american?  I mean "U S A! U S A!"  How easy is that?  Lazy americans....

You make no sense. Go read the Dhammapada and the Tao Te Ching and try to tie it in to modernity as usual, Laotzu del Zinn; at least  you have interesting comments then.

"Is life so dear or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" -Patrick Henry

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Mon, May 2 2011 11:59 AM

"A known mass murderer is killed"

What happened to innocent until proven guilty? Aye?

An "appeal to authority fallacy" is going to be a whole lot more amusing when said authority is the state.

"and they start bantering around conspiracy theories and they complain that he wasn't brought to trial? Like WTF?? Is this some sick joke?"

What conspiracy theories exactly? Benazir Bhutto - BBC, Fox News etc.. are also conspiracy theorists then? That's your claim?

Is this some sick joke?

Yes.

[Killing bin Laden] sent a loud message to the world: Mess with the U.S. and we’ll bankrupt ourselves trying to find a few dozen men. So if you’re the kind of terrorist comfortable with suicide missions and want to bring down the U.S. economy, please come on over and attack us again. As an added bonus, we’ll trample on our own citizens’ civil liberties, humiliate and sexually assault them in airports, and completely ignore our own Constitution, so you’ll have effectively destroyed our freedoms AND our prosperity.” —    Wes Messamore

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
Page 2 of 4 (122 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS