Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Ron Paul confirms he's a voluntarist.

This post has 22 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio Posted: Thu, May 5 2011 6:41 AM

Video dated: May 4, 2011

ADAM KOKESH:
So you've described yourself as a voluntarist. Can you tell us what that means for the big picture, and what your ideal society would be, as a voluntarist?

RON PAUL:
Voluntary means no coercion. So if you want to change people's habits or change the world you should do it by setting examples and trying to persuade people to do it. You can use force only when somebody uses force against you. So voluntary use of information and persuading people, I think, is the best way to go; and no matter what kind of problem you're looking at.

ADAM KOKESH:
Do you think we have a chance of achieving a society based on those ideals in America?

RON PAUL:
Not soon. We had a relative voluntary society (you know) in our early history, but steadily, even after the Constitution was passed, steadily it was undermined and it systematically grew, it grew certainly through the 20th century; that is the authoritation approach, which is the opposite. That is: the government tells us everything we can do and can't do. [..]
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,940
Points 49,115
Conza88 replied on Thu, May 5 2011 7:08 AM

Great find Nielsio!

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,189
Points 22,990

Just sent someone this. Still denies RP is a voluntarist.

Freedom has always been the only route to progress.

Post Neo-Left Libertarian Manifesto (PNL lib)
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Thu, May 5 2011 7:18 PM

Kokesh has a TV show now???

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,189
Points 22,990

Yeah it's on Russia Today, owned by the Russian government. Reminds me of when George Galloway had a show on a channel owned by the Iranian government. 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 533
Points 8,445

Yea Russia Today is pretty decent.

Tumblr The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants. ~Albert Camus
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,687
Points 48,995

Anybody else notice his black and yellow tie?

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 132
Points 1,890

I pointed it out right away lol

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 197
Points 3,520
justinx0r replied on Thu, May 5 2011 11:36 PM

Ron Paul’s six point plan puts a stop to illegal immigration:

1. Physically secure our borders and coastlines. We must do whatever it takes to control entry into our country before we undertake complicated immigrationreform proposals.
  2. Enforce visa rules. Immigration officials must track visa holders and deport anyone who overstays their visa or otherwise violates U.S. law. This is especially important when we recall that a number of 9/11 terrorists had expired visas.
  3. No amnesty. Estimates suggest that 10 to 20 million people are in our country illegally. That’s a lot of people to reward for breaking our laws.
  4. No welfare for illegal aliens. Americans have welcomed immigrants who seek opportunity, work hard, and play by the rules. But taxpayers should not pay for illegal immigrants who use hospitals, clinics, schools, roads, and social services.
  5. End birthright citizenship. As long as illegal immigrants know their children born here will be citizens, the incentive to enter the U.S. illegally will remain strong.
  6. Pass true immigration reform. The current system is incoherent and unfair. But current reform proposals would allow up to 60 million more immigrants into our country, according to the Heritage Foundation. This is insanity. Legal immigrants from all countries should face the same rules and waiting periods

http://www.ronpaul.com/on-the-issues/border-security/

My favorite rules that highlight Ron Paul's voluntaryist views are one and two. We all know true voluntaryists want to enforce visa rules and put guards on the border. All hail Ron Paul and his awesome voluntaryist ways that are in no way contradicted by his own stances and actions.

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 102
Points 1,830

So, if by some bizarre set of events Ron Paul actually manages to put sense into the heads of Americans and gets elected the first thing he should do is to open the US borders to let a whole new batch of statist drones into the US?

Wow, that seems like a brilliant plan to me.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 197
Points 3,520
justinx0r replied on Thu, May 5 2011 11:46 PM

He also voted for a border fence.

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/congress/109/house/2/votes/446/

So, if by some bizarre set of events Ron Paul actually manages to put sense into the heads of Americans and gets elected the first thing he should do is to open the US borders to let a whole new batch of statist drones into the US?

Wow, that seems like a brilliant plan to me.

Strawman. I never said anything about opening the US border. I'm just pointing out that Ron Paul isn't a 'voluntaryist' or an anarchist as some (misguided) people believe.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,940
Points 49,115
Conza88 replied on Thu, May 5 2011 11:48 PM

Yo Justin, you ran away from our discussion... and are merely spamming the same tripe.

How rude. Some people just can't let go of their delusions, sad really.

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 907
Points 14,795

This MAY be just a strategic manipulation of "electorate", not a genuine expression of his ideals.

The Voluntaryist Reader - read, comment, post your own.
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Okay I'm confused.  I've seen this debate multiple times on here and all anyone ever comes up with is "oh yeah well listen to this about his immigration ideas"...and you point to his plan to "put a stop to illegal immigration"?  That's the best thing you can come up with?  The fact that he wants to stop illegal immigration?

I really don't get what you people think he should be promoting.  "If you can get your ass here, you're a citizen with all the rights a privileges of someone who was born here"?

What's next?  He's a neo-con because he wouldn't send a fleet of planes to the Middle East to make sure every single soldier is out of there within 24 hours?  Give me a break.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 197
Points 3,520
justinx0r replied on Thu, May 5 2011 11:52 PM

Conzalol. I proved you wrong and you just keep changing the subject - no reason to keep proving you wrong over and over.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,940
Points 49,115
Conza88 replied on Fri, May 6 2011 12:23 AM

"Conzalol. I proved you wrong and you just keep changing the subject - no reason to keep proving you wrong over and over."

Funny that... I don't see anyone else agreeing with you. In fact, no-one else has. I'm also confident anyone without an agenda to uphold (their own delusions) will come to very differernt conclusion regarding our discussion and who in fact - did the dodging and is wrong.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Fri, May 6 2011 4:22 AM

Yeah it's on Russia Today, owned by the Russian government. Reminds me of when George Galloway had a show on a channel owned by the Iranian government.

Starting to remind me of Radio Free Europe a little bit too much.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Fri, May 6 2011 6:03 AM

Jonathan M. F. Catalán:

Anybody else notice his black and yellow tie?

I don't get it. I see a red tie.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,940
Points 49,115
Conza88 replied on Fri, May 6 2011 6:45 AM

Think he meant in the debates :) Btw, it's more black and gold... ;)

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,189
Points 22,990

All signs point to him being a voluntarist who doesn't like using the word anarchy (for obvious reasons). Not that it matters, you can call a rose a duck, but it's still a flower.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 197
Points 3,520
justinx0r replied on Fri, May 6 2011 10:54 AM

Funny that... I don't see anyone else agreeing with you. In fact, no-one else has. I'm also confident anyone without an agenda to uphold (their own delusions) will come to very differernt conclusion regarding our discussion and who in fact - did the dodging and is wrong.

Now posters on the Mises forums have to agree with me in order to be right? Amazing. Please, if Ron Paul is an anarchist/voluntaryist/whatever why did he vote for a 700 mile border fence between Mexico and the United States?

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 508
Points 8,570
  • Think he meant in the debates :) Btw, it's more black and gold... ;)

Glad I wasn't the only one who noticed that. :)   Man that would be pretty neat if it was intentional, heh.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,940
Points 49,115
Conza88 replied on Fri, May 6 2011 10:21 PM

"Now posters on the Mises forums have to agree with me in order to be right? Amazing."

No, but it is more far more credible that others proclaim to agree with you or support your case.... compared to it being JUST YOURSELF CLAIMING YOU ARE RIGHT. Which is beyond hilarious... given the fact you've done nothing to demonstrate as such and that you left the discussion... without having answered any of the questions.

They await here. Feel free to respond there. Take your time. I also answer the mindless question.

Page 1 of 1 (23 items) | RSS