Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Can anyone be good at math?

rated by 0 users
This post has 43 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,055
Points 41,895

Clayton, to your last paragraph, what level of mathematics is required to understand this?

What is a "level" of math?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 358
Points 8,245

College algebra, calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, physical math, etc. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,055
Points 41,895

He used singular form.  It seemed like a reference to rank.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 202
Points 2,620
mwalsh replied on Wed, May 11 2011 1:37 PM

I had a math teacher, he majored in Math and then became a HS math teacher/vice principal until he retired may 2010, that there were several "leaps" in math that people get lost at.  These were 

1) Going from concrete math to abstract math - ie 1 apple and 2 apples is 3 apples to 1+2=3

2) Adding in "letters" - basic variables

3) the infinite summation of infinetly small things is a number- basically infinite things and calculus

4) Supposedly more- but he never went that far.

To me, I haven't had trouble in math- yeah I have earned 2 Bs in math- Calc 3 and Diff Eq, but that is because I didn't put the effort into memorizing the formulas to simplify a problem so it took 5 minutes not 50, and could have finished the test.

"To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." - Unknown
  • | Post Points: 5
Page 2 of 2 (44 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS