Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Keynesian-Austrian synthesis

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 44 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
78 Posts
Points 1,950
Daniel Kuehn posted on Wed, May 11 2011 9:58 AM

Does anyone know of any attempts at what might be called a "Keynesian-Austrian synthesis" other than Garrison's work? I've sketched something out recently that I want to try and make more formal and I'm curious what other work has been done - I haven't come across much. One concern I have with Garrison is that there are parts where he (1.) assumes full employment, and (2.) constrains his version of the Keynesian model to a loanable funds theory of the interest rate. Both essentially rob Keynesianism of its central point, of course!

I'm working on a pretty standard IS-LM framework that doesn't do what Garrison did, but which includes a capital structure as in Prices and Production. Has anything like this been done before that I ought to be aware of?

• | Post Points: 110

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
Male
170 Posts
Points 2,290
Bearchu. replied on Wed, May 11 2011 10:11 AM

So capital is not homogenous and perfectly substitutable?

But no i am not aware of such synthesis.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Male
78 Posts
Points 1,950

bearchu -

Part of the idea of this is to think about what Austrian points are robust to the inclusion of Keynesian assumptions and what Keynesian points are robust to the inclusion of Austrian assumptions to determine what simplifying assumptions are reasonable and what are truly damaging or misleading.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,260 Posts
Points 61,905
ForumsAdministrator
Staff
SystemAdministrator

I think Robert Murphy integrated Keynesian liquidity preference in his dissertation on interest rates.

"the obligation to justice is founded entirely on the interests of society, which require mutual abstinence from property" -David Hume
Top 500 Contributor
Male
170 Posts
Points 2,290
Bearchu. replied on Wed, May 11 2011 10:25 AM

DK-What do you consider some of the robust keynesian points?  I dont want you to spell your work out, im just interested to hear more.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Male
170 Posts
Points 2,290
Bearchu. replied on Wed, May 11 2011 10:27 AM

@DJS- just started to read it.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,687 Posts
Points 48,995

John Hicks, Capital & Time.

Not Ranked
Male
78 Posts
Points 1,950

bearchu -

I'm not sure what you mean by "robust Keynesian points". The question would be "are the conclusions of the traditional, simple Keynesian IS-LM model robust to the inclusion of a capital structure?" ie - do the conclusions that held with homogenous capital still hold with heterogeneous capital.

Daniel -

Great - thanks I'll take a look at that.

Jonathan -

Yes - I ought to pick that up. I was looking through Value and Capital the other day and of course he covers both there too, but I'm not sure to what extent he integrates any of the ideas.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,922 Posts
Points 79,590

I don't see how Garrison made any sort of "Keynesian-Austrian synthesis". Keynesianism is all about price stability (read: letting wealthy elites keep or regain the pre-crash values of their assets).

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,687 Posts
Points 48,995

I don't see how Garrison made any sort of "Keynesian-Austrian synthesis". Keynesianism is all about price stability (read: letting wealthy elites keep or regain the pre-crash values of their assets).

Well, I think Daniel is referring to Garrison's modelling synthesis.

Not Ranked
Male
78 Posts
Points 1,950

Right Jonathan - and I probably covered that too vaguely, although Jonathan is familiar with thoughts I have on Garrison (very positive btw - I'm not dumping on him). Garrison tries to provide a common framework for talking about Keynesianism, monetarism, and ABCT all together at the same time. There are a few places where I think he misses the mark, but that's what I'm meaning.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
228 Posts
Points 4,820

Jonathon/Daniel,

How's Time & Money? I'm considering starting that when I finish Human Action over Prices and Production, but I also recall reading that it's critized by some Austrians because its attempts at modeling.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Male
78 Posts
Points 1,950

I enjoyed it a lot. My critical response to him is summarized here especially:

http://factsandotherstubbornthings.blogspot.com/2010/07/my-thoughts-on-garrison.html

and also here:

http://factsandotherstubbornthings.blogspot.com/2010/07/roger-garrison-reading-update.html

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,055 Posts
Points 41,895

Isn't this what coordination problemists do?

Page 1 of 3 (45 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS