Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Hundreds of herbal remedies now outlawed across Europe

This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov Posted: Fri, May 13 2011 11:08 AM

http://www.naturalnews.com/032389_herbal_remedies_Europe.html

In a super bizarre move, "Richard Woodfield, MHRA head of herbal medicine policy, claims that the new  regulations empower the consumer"

See, you europeans need to stop your whining...prohibition on plants actually empowers you!

"Traditional herbs such a St. John's Wort or Echinacea must now meet strict licensing guidelines in order to be sold, while other lesser-known herbs that haven't been "traditionally" used in the last 30 years won't even make the cut to reach consumer shelves. Only those products that have been "assessed" by the Medicine and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) will be available for purchase. The real kicker? Even approved products will only be recommended for minor ailments such as the common cold, which means that product labeling may no longer be allowed to convey the potent health benefits of widely-used herbal remedies."

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Fri, May 13 2011 11:20 AM

Don't worry, you can just move to the next country over.

Wait...

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,365
Points 30,945

I note the part in the article that says that herbal remedies are only dangerous when combined with prescription drugs.

Wouldn't herbal-only lifestylers (the main target market) not use the latter anyway?

I wonder why it has never been sufficient to say, "Consult your doctor before taking such and such alternative medication."

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov replied on Fri, May 13 2011 11:24 AM

I'm starting to see the reason, Mike Adams (head of natural news) moved his family to Ecudaor.  And said his quality of life is way better there.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 630
Points 9,425

I think there exists a technicality or loophole where you can sell the natural remedies as non medical products but if you start stating they fix medical problems, then it falls under the umbrella of the EUSSR.

I wonder how much the pharma lobbies paid for this one. You know it is for your safety, millions of people die every year from natural remedies such as st johns wort.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,365
Points 30,945

Limitgov, somehow I don't think personal hobbies (and an inability to fulfil them under legal circumstances) are a sufficient reason to move to another country and leave your friends and relatives back at home. At least not for me.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov replied on Fri, May 13 2011 1:05 PM

"I don't think personal hobbies (and an inability to fulfil them under legal circumstances) are a sufficient reason to move to another country"

you know good and well there are other reasons besides this.  the entire police state being setup.  homeland security.  tsa.  tsa on trains and bus stations now.  military checkpoints starting at various locations.  etc, etc, etc.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,055
Points 41,895

Ecuador not extraditing to the U.S. can also be a good reason.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 907
Points 14,795

I note the part in the article that says that herbal remedies are only dangerous when combined with prescription drugs.

Which means that prescription drugs may be dangerous when combined with otherwise harmless herbal remedies. Given that prescription drugs may also be dangerous by themselves, what is worse, prescription or herbal?

The Voluntaryist Reader - read, comment, post your own.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS