Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Econ Pop Quiz

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
254 Posts
Points 6,065
Coase posted on Fri, May 13 2011 5:04 PM

Do it do it now.

http://cafehayek.com/2011/05/pop-quiz-2.html

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
297 Posts
Points 5,250
Rcder replied on Fri, May 13 2011 5:18 PM

I'm confused.  Do you want to know the answers to the pop quiz, or do you just want us to test ourselves with it?

Top 500 Contributor
254 Posts
Points 6,065
Coase replied on Fri, May 13 2011 5:22 PM

It's fun. Post your answers. Call someone an idiot for disagreeing.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135
Top 500 Contributor
297 Posts
Points 5,250
Rcder replied on Fri, May 13 2011 5:25 PM

C, B, D.  I don't see how any of these are all that controversial asides from the first one, if only because everyone views "benefit" from a different perspective.

Top 500 Contributor
254 Posts
Points 6,065
Coase replied on Fri, May 13 2011 5:25 PM

I haven't disagreed with you yet. Come on, the rules are simple.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
254 Posts
Points 6,065
Coase replied on Fri, May 13 2011 5:27 PM

Aw, I thought for sure you guys would have some crazy bullshit praxeological take on things.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
297 Posts
Points 5,250
Rcder replied on Fri, May 13 2011 5:29 PM

Aw, I thought for sure you guys would have some crazy bullshit praxeological take on things.

What?

Top 150 Contributor
Male
564 Posts
Points 8,455
Paul replied on Fri, May 13 2011 7:24 PM

OK...D, B, D.  Why D not C for #1?  I assume current renters are geographically distributed fairly evenly between the area about to be rent controlled and the outlying areas, that there are places available for rent in the to-be-RC-area, and that there's no reason to expect a large influx of new residents (e.g., from other states) in the near future; rent control will cause people to move inwards, to the RC area (that's why it causes a shortage there, right?!), reducing the number of renters in the non-RC area: landlords outside the RC area will lose, not gain.  (Long-term, the gain is for the outside landlords, but "long-term" is likely to be many decades and a later generation of landlords...)

Top 75 Contributor
Male
1,008 Posts
Points 16,185

Coase:

how?

My Blog: http://www.anarchico.net/

Production is 'anarchistic' - Ludwig von Mises

Top 500 Contributor
297 Posts
Points 5,250
Rcder replied on Fri, May 13 2011 7:48 PM

I assume current renters are geographically distributed fairly evenly between the area about to be rent controlled and the outlying areas, that there are places available for rent in the to-be-RC-area, and that there's no reason to expect a large influx of new residents (e.g., from other states) in the near future;

Alright, that'll be the basis for our model, then.

rent control will cause people to move inwards, to the RC area (that's why it causes a shortage there, right?!),

It will also cause some landlords to either close up shop because they are now operating below cost, and others will divide existing appartments into smaller units so they can sell more to recoupe losses.

reducing the number of renters in the non-RC area: landlords outside the RC area will lose, not gain.

This depends upon the influx of the people from DC proper who cannot get appartments.  I guess our differing answers are due to the ambiguity of the question.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS