Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Recommend me a book on stock market fundamentals and first principles.

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 1 Reply | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 20
Jordanwhit posted on Tue, May 17 2011 4:59 PM

Forums,

I am looking for a book that will explain to me the fundamentals of stock markets, and first principles of investing, for the standpoint that is commonly found on this site, and in the bookstore on this site, which I find to be particularly straightforward, and sense-making.

Anything like Lessons for the Young Ecnomist, or Economic Reasoning, but, specifically on the topic of public traded stock markets, and the like?

Thanks,

Jordan

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 85

In Money, Bank Credit and Economic Cycles Jesus Huerta de Soto had a footnote about Fritz Machlup's The Stock Market, Credit, and Capital Formation. To be more precise he said the following: "This book by Machlup is essential to understanding the [business] cycle’s influence on the stock market."

It's old and probably not as easy as Lessons for the Young Economist or Economic Reasoning, but it's the first thing that came to mind. In fact now that you brought it up, I'm curious to what others have to say on this.

The first book on investing written by an Austrian that comes to mind is Joseph Calandro's Applied Value Investing: The Practical Application of Benjamin Graham and Warren Buffett's Valuation Principles to Acquisitions, Catastrophe Pricing and Business Execution(Here's a review by Doug French). And here's Calandro himself at ASC.

I'm guessing neither of these is exactly what you're looking for, but it's the best I could come up with.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS