Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

AE full reserve banking proposal

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Male
782 Posts
Points 19,110
mickanomics posted on Fri, May 20 2011 4:24 AM

I am currently collecting together proposals for full reserve banking for a new website. I know that a section of Austrian economists support the idea - but I do not know of a book or document which constitutes a proposal for a full reserve system. Is there such a thing - something along the lines of "100% money" by Irving Fisher.

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

Rothbard goes into this as he explains the case for a fully commodity-backed currency (as well as a practical, step-by-step plan for making it happen)...

The Case for a 100 Percent Gold Dollar, & The Case for a Genuine Gold Dollar by Murray Rothbard

(and you might go ahead with

just for good measure)

Actually, here's the full recommended reading list, in order.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Male
782 Posts
Points 19,110

Re: "The Case for a 100 Percent Gold Dollar" - thanks very much for that.

As I understand it, it is also possible to have a full reserve system even with a purely fiat currency. Is there an AE proposal for that too?

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
7 Posts
Points 215

De Soto!

alibertarianperspective.wordpress.com
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

mickanomics:
As I understand it, it is also possible to have a full reserve system even with a purely fiat currency. Is there an AE proposal for that too?

Not that I've ever heard of.  Because if you have to order them in terms of harm/potential harm, fiat currency ranks far beyond fractional reserve banking.  There is actually support on both sides of the FRB argument, with some Austrians being fervently against it and others making the case for it (aka dichotomy between "free bankers" and "hundred-percent reservists"). 

However there is virtually no one—at least of an Austrian (and even general free market) persuasion—who argues that money backed by nothing is not inherently destructive and confiscatory.  Even as Milton Friedman was arguing his monetarist perspective he was constantly berating the constant printing of the Fed (and of course later in life said the central bank should be abolished entirely).

Other sources you might look into:

Books, articles, essays:

Money, Bank Credit, and Economic Cycles

Fractional reserve banking

Free banking

Walter Block versus Bryan Caplan on Fractional Reserve Banking

Threads:

Federal Reserve links

Fractional Reserve Banking Revisited

Fractional Reserve Banking really inflationary?

Doubt on fractional reserve banking

The Myth of Fractional Reserve Banking as Fraud

Why are We Still Debating Fractional Reserve Banking?

In defense of fractional-reserve banking

Fractional Reserve Banking and Lone Banking

without fractional reserve(s)

How the Federal Reserve Works

Top 100 Contributor
814 Posts
Points 16,290

mickanomics:

Re: "The Case for a 100 Percent Gold Dollar" - thanks very much for that.

The problem with a 100% reserve system under fiat currency is that there is nothing stopping the government from printing more money, which allows for the boom bust cycle to continue.

I favor 100% reserve mandate, but only with hard money.

Not Ranked
23 Posts
Points 350
Dave replied on Fri, May 20 2011 9:25 AM

You may like How Private Banking Really Works by Lara and Murphy. They explain whats wrong and how to make an escape exit from the current system.

Not Ranked
369 Posts
Points 7,175
baxter replied on Fri, May 20 2011 12:40 PM

If you have a money warehouse holding fiat currency, how do you plan on competing with fractional reserve banks who commit bailment fraud and even get publicly funded insurance for their fraud?

I think the only way you can reallistically compete is to hold precious metals like gold and silver.

One concern is that a good portion of the US states prohibit their residents to own gold or silver held outside the country.

" 21 states have enacted the MCA or some variation of it: Arizona, California, Colorado, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oregon, Utah, and Washington"

http://silverbearcafe.com/private/01.10/offshore.html

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS