Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

What is/was the worst state to live under in history?

rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 358
Points 8,245
Scrooge McDuck Posted: Wed, May 25 2011 5:06 PM

In terms of government influence over the lives of its subjects. (If you can think of a better way to think of it, please elaborate)

I would assume that modern North Korea is the worst current state according to the above criterion. How do states of the past compare?

• | Post Points: 110
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 321
Points 5,235
Seph replied on Wed, May 25 2011 8:22 PM

Maoist China, especially during the cultural revolution. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,255
Points 36,010
William replied on Wed, May 25 2011 9:14 PM

This kind of depends on what group you are in that gets targeted.   If you were in a decent position in the USSR, it was probably a pretty cool place to live.  You got to travel around the world and all the cool people in the West treated you with mass respect.  That would be a pretty sweet gig.

If you are a lowly Palestinian in a pretty free Israel, that would kind of suck.  At best the hip people who matter will just call you a dubious "contraversial" issue, so that is a bonus in the suckiness

"I am not an ego along with other egos, but the sole ego: I am unique. Hence my wants too are unique, and my deeds; in short, everything about me is unique" Max Stirner
  • | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
madgoat33 replied on Wed, May 25 2011 9:43 PM

Stalinist USSR.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 223
Points 5,335

I'd imagine it would be Nazi Germany as a Jew, or Inquisition Spain as a Jew, or Rome as an early Christian, or the USSR as a previously well-off farmer, etc. Basically, it sucks when you're part of the group that the government is targetting for repression.

Yes, I am a huge Dodgers fan.

Anti-state since I learned about the Cuban Revolution and why my dad had to flee the country.

Beer, Guns and Baseball My blog

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 274
Points 5,675
My Buddy replied on Wed, May 25 2011 10:24 PM

Cambodia under the Khmer Rouge.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 554
Points 9,130
Praetyre replied on Thu, May 26 2011 12:58 AM

Maoist China, by far. Only Democratic Kampuchea can rival it for the sheer scope of brutality and repression. At least the "man on the street" in the USSR or Nazi Germany didn't fear for his life, unless he lived in certain areas.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,209
Points 35,645
Merlin replied on Thu, May 26 2011 1:38 AM

I too second China during the cultural revolution. As for current states, man Gaza would suck.

The Regression theorem is a memetic equivalent of the Theory of Evolution. To say that the former precludes the free emergence of fiat currencies makes no more sense that to hold that the latter precludes the natural emergence of multicellular organisms.
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,485
Points 22,155
Kakugo replied on Thu, May 26 2011 2:12 AM

The list would drag on and on.

Off the top of my head I can think about the following:

Paraguay during the War of the Triple Alliance (1864-1870). To feed Solano Lopez's monstrous appetite for war the entire male population (everybody over the age of ten, including sick and slaves) was drafted into the "army", which was often nothing more than masses of desperate people armed with sticks and knives and pushed forward by military police units to charge into the well armed and drilled Brazilian regiments and squadrons. Since there were no men to take care of the fields and herds (many simply fled into neighboring countries when "universal conscription" was declared) and the women had been forced into acting as a labor force for the "army" starvation and sickness run rampant. It has been said Paraguay lost over half of her inhabitants during the war, about 250000 out of a population of half a million.

China from the beginning of the XIX century up to the late 1970's. Foreign intervention, starvation, civil war, popular uprising, Nationalist and Communist rule, the "Great Leap Forward"... for well over one and a half century China was in one Hell of a sorry state. While the situation was dire indeed three episodes were particularly terrible: the Taiping Rebellion, the First Sino-Japanese War and the "Great Leap Forward".

Together we go unsung... together we go down with our people
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,255
Points 36,010
William replied on Thu, May 26 2011 2:12 AM

Flat out "playing the odds" wouldn't it be some shit African regime Rawanda, Ethiopia or whatever?  Some place that had lttle or no wealth, sanitation, or good custom to sap from the get go (even worse than Cambodia or Maoist China) and further away from a richer pastors to immigrate to/ hope for some "trickle down" wealth to flow in from outside wealthier countries.

"I am not an ego along with other egos, but the sole ego: I am unique. Hence my wants too are unique, and my deeds; in short, everything about me is unique" Max Stirner
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 645
Points 9,865
James replied on Thu, May 26 2011 2:45 AM

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree that wherever the worst place in the world is precisely, it's on the African continent somewhere.

Non bene pro toto libertas venditur auro
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,010
Points 17,405

Kakugo:
the entire male population (everybody over the age of ten, including sick and slaves) was drafted into the "army", which was often nothing more than masses of desperate people armed with sticks and knives and pushed forward by military police units to charge into the well armed and drilled Brazilian regiments and squadrons. Since there were no men to take care of the fields and herds (many simply fled into neighboring countries when "universal conscription" was declared) and the women had been forced into acting as a labor force for the "army" starvation and sickness run rampant. It has been said Paraguay lost over half of her inhabitants during the war, about 250000 out of a population of half a million.

Man, why can't people just be friends?

"They all look upon progressing material improvement as upon a self-acting process." - Ludwig von Mises
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 814
Points 16,290

Wherever there is hyperinflation.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Thu, May 26 2011 7:25 AM

What is/was the worst state to live under in history?

It is a dumb question that will get you dumb answers. Different people value different things. At best you are asking people to voice what they would dislike most in a government.

I would assume that modern North Korea is the worst current state according to the above criterion. How do states of the past compare?

You would assume. According to your own miniscule knowledge about North Korea (correct me if I am wrong and you actually know plenty about it) and your own subjective ideas about what makes a government intolerable.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 349
Points 5,915
Mtn Dew replied on Thu, May 26 2011 7:28 AM

Being a Jew during the Spanish Inquisition isn't even in the top 100.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 135
redwine replied on Wed, Jun 15 2011 11:43 PM

Zimbabwe, the country is so poor that people (including children) spend all day panning for gold in rivers so they can buy bread, because no merchant will accept the state's money.  Also the government is almost as authoritarian as North Korea. 

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 71
Points 1,660
AaronBurr replied on Fri, Jun 17 2011 10:35 AM

People who name Gaza are utterly ignorant of the world. gazans have higher life expactancies than some European countries,elect their own government and are oppressed day to day only by the islamists who run the place.

If you really want to see bad treatment look at how Muslims treat Christians or jews in Islamist countries

North Korea is vastly worse.

really for libertarians you sound a lot like marxists.

Bring back the Gold standard.
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 342
Points 7,875

[/quote][quote user="AaronBurr"]

Really Burr?

Someone seems to be forgetting the fact of the blockade of goods into Palestine, which by any measure is fairly harsh. Not to mention how poorly they are treated by Israeli officials.

For a current state, Palestine is pretty absymal, by any standard.

Calling others Marxists, especially on the LVMI board, isn't the brightest move.

Sounds like we are headed towards an infinite regress, no?

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS