Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Menger Mises and Aristotle

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,255
Points 36,010
William Posted: Thu, May 26 2011 12:57 PM

Great article I found that I don't think is on Mises.org:

http://ontology.buffalo.edu/smith/articles/menger.html

"I am not an ego along with other egos, but the sole ego: I am unique. Hence my wants too are unique, and my deeds; in short, everything about me is unique" Max Stirner
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Did a quick search.  Only thing I came up with is a mention of it in this Mises Daily  where it says that paper is "essential reading" for a discussion of Aristotelian and Austrian economics.  But interestingly enough someone did start a thread about it a year ago.

In any case it's been added to the Wiki.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 430
Points 8,145

Smith is great; I've read some of his work. It's worth printing out and highlighting. I think Plauche interacts with some of his work as well, or vice-versa. I can't quite remember of the top of my head.

There are a few more Aristotelian-Austrians as well. Edward Younkins is one such scholar that I can think of.

“Remove justice,” St. Augustine asks, “and what are kingdoms but gangs of criminals on a large scale? What are criminal gangs but petty kingdoms?”
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 850
Points 13,615

Smith is awesome: mandatory reading for everyone who takes his philosophical side serious. 

The state is not the enemy. The idea of the state is. 

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 430
Points 8,145
MrSchnapps replied on Thu, May 26 2011 10:08 PM

For further reading: http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/depts/lgir/research-centres/casep/research-resources/aristotelianism-and-politics/libertarian-aristotelianism-generally.cfm

“Remove justice,” St. Augustine asks, “and what are kingdoms but gangs of criminals on a large scale? What are criminal gangs but petty kingdoms?”
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,255
Points 36,010
William replied on Thu, May 26 2011 10:32 PM

Thanks Schnapps, I never heard of Smith or Younkins.  From the link you provided the Younkins article on Menger looks like a good read as well. I'm probably going to avoid all the Rand/Objectivist stuff though, I keep forgetting she was an Aristotelian too.

"I am not an ego along with other egos, but the sole ego: I am unique. Hence my wants too are unique, and my deeds; in short, everything about me is unique" Max Stirner
  • | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS