Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

What is/was the best state to live under in history?

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 980
claudius Posted: Fri, Jun 17 2011 1:08 PM

Somalia?  After all, they lack a functioning government and there's nothing you libertarians would like more than that.

• | Post Points: 80
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 508
Points 8,570

Did anyone feel a breeze just now?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 508
Points 8,570

Wait wait, I meant to say this instead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6THteoyEWHo&feature=related

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 743
Points 11,795

Please read more about Somalia- that's a poorly understood impression about that area. 

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 630
Points 9,425

I think functioning government is an oxymoron, well i guess it depends on how you define a fuctioning government. Your question is like trying to find the least corrupt government.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 814
Points 16,290

Probably the Articles of Confederation.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 424
Points 5,980

haha troll post.

Atlantis it sounds like.  Til the end when they went to war and God flooded them hahah

Eating Propaganda

What do you mean i don't care how your day was?!

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 645
Points 9,865
James replied on Fri, Jun 17 2011 9:19 PM

I think functioning government is an oxymoron, well i guess it depends on how you define a fuctioning government.

Folks who really believe in government don't typically appreciate the difference between means and ends, could and should, trying and succeeding, or good and evil generally.

Non bene pro toto libertas venditur auro
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 274
Points 5,675
My Buddy replied on Fri, Jun 17 2011 9:25 PM

If I had to choose between Anarchist Somalia (1991-2005) and Communist Dictatorship Somalia, I would go for the Anarchist variant every single time.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 173
Points 3,810
Brutus replied on Fri, Jul 8 2011 3:09 PM

No2statism:

Probably the Articles of Confederation.

Amen, brother! You speak the truth; gospel to my ears.

Early America underneath the Articles of Confederation is the true American system, one built on independence and freedom with a complete lack of federal interference. It was beautiful, and the founders of that government researched a lot into history. It was brilliant, and it succeeded until the federalists ruined everything.

"Is life so dear or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" -Patrick Henry

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

"Early America underneath the Articles of Confederation is the true American system, one built on independence and freedom with a complete lack of federal interference. It was beautiful, and the founders of that government researched a lot into history. It was brilliant, and it succeeded until the federalists ruined everything."

I don't see the merit in this. What gave the "founders" the right to orchestrate such a system? Really they are no better then ruffians who tried to be kings and painted a veneer of faux legitimacy. I research a lot of history, does that give me the power and right to rule? 

'Men do not change, they unmask themselves' - Germaine de Stael

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Fri, Jul 8 2011 7:36 PM

Being one of the winged people in Flash Gordon universe. That would be the best.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 173
Points 3,810
Brutus replied on Sat, Jul 9 2011 8:24 AM

Andrew Cain:

"Early America underneath the Articles of Confederation is the true American system, one built on independence and freedom with a complete lack of federal interference. It was beautiful, and the founders of that government researched a lot into history. It was brilliant, and it succeeded until the federalists ruined everything."

I don't see the merit in this. What gave the "founders" the right to orchestrate such a system? Really they are no better then ruffians who tried to be kings and painted a veneer of faux legitimacy. I research a lot of history, does that give me the power and right to rule? 

Why wait around for anyone to give you permission? I didn't realize people had to be given rights.....

"Is life so dear or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" -Patrick Henry

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS