Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

What you should be doing

This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James Posted: Mon, Jun 20 2011 4:48 AM

A beautiful anecdote, and an even better closing that captures precisely the spirit all libertarians should have...

Conversation at a Grocery Store

by Butler Shaffer

As I was leaving our neighborhood grocery store, I was met by two college-age women who told me that they were working for Greenpeace, and would like to have my support.

"To do what?," I asked.

"To help save the rainforests, protect endangered species, and end pollution," one of them responded.

"Those sound like worthwhile ends," I said. "What is Greenpeace doing to bring them about?"

"We’re trying to get the public to become aware of these problems," I was told.

"So that the public will do what?," I went on.

"To get people to stop doing business with the big corporations that are engaging in these destructive practices," one woman answered.

"I have no problem with people withholding their patronage of business firms," I said. "But what if this approach doesn’t alleviate the problems that concern you? What is your organization prepared to do in that event? Is Greenpeace dedicated to using voluntary, persuasive means to accomplish its ends, or will it resort to violence if necessary?"...[continue reading]

• | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 645
Points 9,865
James replied on Mon, Jun 20 2011 6:23 AM

That's awesome, although Greenpeace has been known to utilise violence outside the official state mechanism too.

Non bene pro toto libertas venditur auro
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 531
Points 10,985
I don't like Greenpeace, but for different reasons than the article above. Greenpeace is a giant feel-good organization. They don't do too much and are heavily criticized by other activists for their cooperation with the very organizations that the rank-and-file oppose.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 533
Points 8,445
Phaedros replied on Fri, Jun 24 2011 2:10 AM

Instead of whining, Greenpeace needs to become more entrepeneurial.

Tumblr The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants. ~Albert Camus
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 630
Points 9,425

Greenpeace and red cross and similar types of organisations take in millions of dollars in aid and very rarely do we see actual results worth the actual money they received.

In my opinion they are terribly corrupt, the co-founder of greepeace left, read this wall street journal article.

They are also suspectible to financial influence by donors who exploit their image to further their gains.

But there are some sincere and hard working and good intention people in those organisations and i would not like attack everyone in them, but I will not donate after researching the organisations and results etc.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,485
Points 22,155
Kakugo replied on Fri, Jun 24 2011 3:28 PM

On a side note does anyone have any link detailing how Greenpeace is funded? They seem awfully well stocked with money lately. Thanks.

Together we go unsung... together we go down with our people
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 533
Points 8,445
Phaedros replied on Fri, Jun 24 2011 3:36 PM

Isn't it donations?

Tumblr The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants. ~Albert Camus
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 44
Points 865
Aiser replied on Fri, Jun 24 2011 5:17 PM

I am saving this article for future references amazing. >=)

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS