Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Personal question: what will y'all do when the American dollar finally crashes?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
1,149 Posts
Points 23,875
Freedom4Me73986 posted on Tue, Jun 28 2011 3:37 AM

Paper money is on its last legs. The American dollar will collapse any time now and become worth less than toilet paper. My question for everyone is: what will do you once the dollar is finally toast? Did you buy enough gold and silver to provide for yourself?

For me, I'm trying to put as much of my personal wealth in gold as I can. I'm also thinking about taking up a survivalist platform and a hunting-and-gathering lifestyle since the price of food will skyrocket.

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
205 Posts
Points 2,945

So this will happen?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Male
907 Posts
Points 14,795

Even assuming a major breakdown of the economy and society, I guess getting a plot of land, stocking it up with tools, seeds, canned food/water AND guns/ammo is going to be wiser than stockpiling metals. Oh, and do not forget to stockpile toilet paper, too :)

The Voluntaryist Reader - read, comment, post your own.
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
1,149 Posts
Points 23,875

Schiff says it will happen soon enough.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Male
508 Posts
Points 8,570

Schiff isn't always spot on in his predictions.

I'm not totally convinced there will be a hyperinflationary scenerio, and I believe before we go down the rabbit hole, we'll probably see a dollar rally as the Euro goes down and US bonds start to look worse and worse.  That is, all the conventional wisdom people will flock to cash, this is precisely what happened in 2008 and the reason gold and silver tanked.  If this does happen, this will be the window to buy bullion.  I'm probably going to get a thousand or two now in silver just in case I miss that window, but I'm not investing my life savings in one commodity.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
424 Posts
Points 5,980

Mt worry is that Greece will default at the same time that the Congress fails to cut spending or raise the debt ceiling.

Those happening, or and EU country defaulting, in conguence with the US debt issues will be disasterous.

Watch Max Keiser, he likes Schiff, but will admit that Schiff totally underestimated the role of EU banks.  Which he did.

Eating Propaganda

What do you mean i don't care how your day was?!

Top 75 Contributor
1,149 Posts
Points 23,875

Schiff isn't always spot on in his predictions.

Explain please.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS