Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

going off the gold standard

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
9 Posts
Points 345
choy posted on Tue, Jul 5 2011 7:10 AM

hi i'm trying to find a book that explains the process with the dates and events when the "American citizens"  could no longer redeem the dollar to gold. I know about the bretton woods, and the gold exchange standard but those were events that happened after the  "American citizens" could no longer redeem the dollar to gold. I wanna know the time when the dollar is no longer redeemable to gold, thank you!

I read rothbards history of banking in the united states but he didn't really say anything about it, LOL

It's like the most important event in gold standard but they fail to explain it, its frustrating actually

All Replies

Top 200 Contributor
Male
508 Posts
Points 8,570

You're talking about the date where dollars were no longer redeemable for gold on the international scene?  That was 1971.  Not sure if the essays in Rothbard's History of Banking were written before or after that event.  He certainly does mention it in What Has Government Done to Our Money.  Might want to give that a read.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,249 Posts
Points 70,775

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/fdr-takes-united-states-off-gold-standard

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

Top 200 Contributor
424 Posts
Points 5,980

You could check out Ron Paul's "Case for Gold" It was redited partly by Rothbard so it is much the same info in a slightly altered format also this essay by Edwin Vierra is crucial to the events you want.

and rothbard's history of money talks about the "suspension of specie payments" at every step when they happened.  Those are the events where people can no longer redeem their dollar notes for gold dollars.  A dollar is a certain weight of gold, silver,m copper, or nickel.

the 1971 events were about the international payment standard and that mostly (only) effected central bank (ostensibly) and government transactions.

hope those help!

Eating Propaganda

What do you mean i don't care how your day was?!

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS