Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Forum rich text options NO LONGER DISPLAY (period)

rated by 0 users
This post has 17 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James Posted: Mon, Jul 11 2011 5:28 PM

It appears to only have happened on Firefox.  Now it won't work on Firefox, Chromium, or Internet Explorer.  I also noticed it takes a while before the "post" button appears...as in you have to wait about 20 seconds before anything below the textbox to show up.  I assume that's what this is about.  What happened?  Did someone change some code?  Will it be this way from now on?

• | Post Points: 50
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 424
Points 5,980
same for me
filler
been using that for lines.
filler
i noticed that and at the same time i noticed it my sound drivers got sent all out of whack.

Eating Propaganda

What do you mean i don't care how your day was?!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

The easiest thing to do is use a different browser. (it's annoying, but at least you get the normal rich text options.) I use Chromium (the open source code base for Chrome. Call me paranoid, but there's no guarantee the source code Google publishes is what is actually in the final version of Chrome, and I figure Goog has enough user data already).

However, you can also put in basic spaces and lines by using html code.  "<p>" for a new paragraph and "<br>" for a simple line break.

Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 215

John James:

The easiest thing to do is use a different browser. (it's annoying, but at least you get the normal rich text options.) I use Chromium (the open source code base for Chrome. Call me paranoid, but there's no guarantee the source code Google publishes is what is actually in the final version of Chrome, and I figure Goog has enough user data already).  

OperaTor can use rich text options without sacrificing privacy.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
ImpenitentCapitalist:
OperaTor can use rich text options without sacrificing privacy.

So can Chromium.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Mon, Jul 11 2011 8:03 PM

Testing rich text editor in Chromium on Linux...

edit: Still works for me.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 424
Points 5,980

My stuff is here on IE7

Eating Propaganda

What do you mean i don't care how your day was?!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

what do you mean "my stuff is here"? Does that mean you have the rich text options? If so that's weird. IE8 doesn't have them. Plus every time I navigate to a page with IE8 I get a script error that tells me I should abort.

And do the options still no appear on other browsers you try?

Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 215

John James:

And do the options still no appear on other browsers you try?

Firefox still does not work.  Opera works fine.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Tue, Jul 12 2011 10:05 PM
Has broken down for me now in Linux+Chrome.
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Tue, Jul 12 2011 10:08 PM

Opera still displays the rich text options like normal, but it doesn't allow posting. If you try to post a regular message you get an unidentified error (signified by the red asterisk, but it's unclear what you are supposed to do to correct it). If you quote a post and type a response, the quote shows up but nothing you write does.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,940
Points 49,115
Conza88 replied on Tue, Jul 12 2011 11:28 PM
I'm assuming this is an indirect way to encourage the death of this place, and shift towards the new forum...

Which is what I wanted to do... but it wouldn't let me in still, cookies or something.

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 215

John James:

Opera still displays the rich text options like normal, but it doesn't allow posting. If you try to post a regular message you get an unidentified error (signified by the red asterisk, but it's unclear what you are supposed to do to correct it). If you quote a post and type a response, the quote shows up but nothing you write does.

Opera was working fine yesterday. I retested Opera today. I confirm that Opera is no longer able to post. I had to use Firefox, which lacks the rich text options, in order to post my results.

Edit 1 (Posted from Opera):

For Opera, there are JavaScript errors that delay the "Post" button from loading until 3 to 4 minutes have elapsed after entering the editor.

On Opera's menu bar, click "View", "Developer Tools", and "Error Console" to show 59 Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) errors and 3 JavaScript errors. For the lower left drop down menu, change "All" to "JavaScript" to show only the JavaScript errors.

Error Console:
[7/12/2011 10:40:32 PM] JavaScript - http://mises.org/ckeditor/ckeditor.js
Linked script compilation
Syntax error at line 2 while loading:
e(x.id||'cke_upload'
--------------------^
syntax error
[7/12/2011 10:40:32 PM] JavaScript - http://mises.org/Community/forums/AddPost.aspx?ReplyToPostID=429937&Quote=False
Inline script thread
Uncaught exception: ReferenceError: Undefined variable: CKEDITOR
Error thrown at line 3, column 0 in http://mises.org/Community/forums/AddPost.aspx?ReplyToPostID=429937&Quote=False:
CKEDITOR.replace( 'Editor' );
[7/12/2011 10:40:32 PM] JavaScript - http://mises.org/Community/forums/AddPost.aspx?ReplyToPostID=429937&Quote=False
Inline script compilation
Syntax error at line 3 while loading:
= new KeepAlive('',5
-^
expected expression, got '='

These JavaScript errors have to be corrected on the server-side.

Edit 2 (Posted from Opera):

This is the Widget error that occurs while waiting for the "Post" button to load.

Error Console:
[7/13/2011 12:04:07 AM] Widgets

Widget loading warning: <id> element not fully defined.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Wed, Jul 13 2011 12:59 AM
Conza88:
I'm assuming this is an indirect way to encourage the death of this place, and shift towards the new forum...

Which is what I wanted to do... but it wouldn't let me in still, cookies or something.

Are you serious? You honestly think anyone on the dev team sat down and thought "how can we encourage people to stop using the old forum and move to the new one (even though we still don't allow accounts created after June 15th to log in). Hey I know. Let's not just lock the old forum. Or prevent new threads from being created. No that would actually make sense. Let's just make it annoyingly difficult to post. How about...uh...oh I got it! Let's make it so the text box stretches outside the widow and the rich text options disappear!"

Give me a break.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,940
Points 49,115
Conza88 replied on Wed, Jul 13 2011 1:45 AM
John James:
Are you serious?

Not particularly, no.

John James:
Give me a break.

Get over yourself.

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Wed, Jul 13 2011 2:15 AM

Making something not able to work to have it's users switch to it's new format sounds like a plausible idea, but I'm comparing this type of reasoning to our own government, and people seem to just keep going for the old defunct, but ever expanding way.  "The old format didn't work, here's the new, it has changed", and it doesn't work, just gets worse.  Programmer error?

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Conza88:
Not particularly, no.

As if.  And let me guess.  You knew the new forum was on lockdown too, you just wanted to throw in "cookies or something" to sound smart. 

Bert:
Making something not able to work to have it's users switch to it's new format sounds like a plausible idea, but I'm comparing this type of reasoning to our own government, and people seem to just keep going for the old defunct, but ever expanding way.  "The old format didn't work, here's the new, it has changed", and it doesn't work, just gets worse.  Programmer error?

Call me crazy, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that this is the cause in some way.  Ya know, given that they both happened at evidently roughly the same time and there's really no better explanation.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,940
Points 49,115
Conza88 replied on Wed, Jul 13 2011 10:38 AM
John James:
As if. And let me guess. You knew the new forum was on lockdown too, you just wanted to throw in "cookies or something" to sound smart.
And you'd be full of bs. Wrong per usual.
Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS