Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Student Appreciation Thread

This post has 49 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 947
Points 22,055
Student Posted: Thu, Jul 14 2011 10:04 PM

That guy really is something. 

Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine - Elvis Presley

• | Post Points: 110
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,365
Points 30,945

I appreciate Student.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 443
Points 9,245

Stay classy

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,189
Points 22,990

If there is a student appreciation thread, there should be a libertystudent appreciation thread.

Freedom has always been the only route to progress.

Post Neo-Left Libertarian Manifesto (PNL lib)
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 90
Points 1,480

Student is one of the best posters on this forum.  Didn't so much open my eyes as turn me on to new things.  :thumpsup: to you, Student.  You are a kind, passionate scholar.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 203
Points 3,195

I'm relatively new to these parts so I can't say my appreciation has reached its full maturity just yet. I would, however, like to know who your avatar is. I've been wondering.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

That student guy really is an appreciation thread!

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,365
Points 30,945

Stephen Adkins:

I'm relatively new to these parts so I can't say my appreciation has reached its full maturity just yet. I would, however, like to know who your avatar is. I've been wondering.

Steve McQueen. Watch Great Escape. Don't watch Bullitt.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 947
Points 22,055
Student replied on Fri, Jul 15 2011 8:20 AM

^ ding ding!

my avatar is specifically steve mcqueen from his role in the thomas crowne affair (which is way better than the remake w/Pierce Brosnan). 

sadly, i also didn't like bullitt as much as i expected. :( i think its because dirty harry is a very similar movie, so it felt very familiar to me even without watching it before. but, dirty harry was much better executed.  that being said, bullitt pre-dates dirty harry by almost 4 years. so maybe if there was no bullitt there would be no dirty harry?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Fri, Jul 15 2011 9:32 AM

I thought this was the libertystudent appreciation thread.  I give my appreciation to libertystudent.  Who's this Student guy anyway?

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 947
Points 22,055
Student replied on Fri, Jul 15 2011 12:21 PM

^ he once picked up 4 girls at a bar...because his weight bench was broken. 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 203
Points 3,195

I thought that was Bill Brasky.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,189
Points 22,990

Why did he leave?

I guess we were not worthy of his presence in this community.

Freedom has always been the only route to progress.

Post Neo-Left Libertarian Manifesto (PNL lib)
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 947
Points 22,055
Student replied on Sat, Dec 17 2011 1:14 AM

It is too bad Student doesn't post as much these days. I really miss his insightful posts. :(

*sigh*

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,651
Points 51,325
krazy kaju replied on Sat, Dec 17 2011 10:18 AM

Hahaha, someone hasn't been getting enough love lately.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Sat, Dec 17 2011 10:34 AM

Student is the SECOND coolest guy that I've ever known

In fact, Student is so cool that I wish that he'd PM me about college econ programs and general advice surrounding the subject.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 947
Points 22,055
Student replied on Sat, Dec 17 2011 4:01 PM

lol thnks Neo. :) I just sent a friend request so can talk PM when you accept, but I can give some generic advice here.

Before applying to grad school:

Math Courses - Math Stats, Linear Algebra, and Multivarite Calc are all more important (in terms of what you need to know for Phd level work) than Real Analysis (which is more of a signal of being able to do rigouress math). But making a good grade in real analysis can make up for less stellar grades elsehere.

When applying:

Recommendations are everything - Recommendations mean a lot when it comes to getting accepted and getting funded. Make friends with profs and be sure to ask them where to apply (where their recommendation will carry more weight). Like most know things, a lot of where you go is who you know. But still don't be afraid to shoot big. 

Once you're in:

Attend seminrs and presentations. It is the best way to find a research topic and a prof that might be interested in working with you. :) At least tht's all I have after 1 whole semester in Phd land. More advice might come later.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 297
Points 5,250
Rcder replied on Sat, Dec 17 2011 6:02 PM

Student,

At the risk of derailing this thread, how have you enjoyed studying economics in an academic setting?  I have to decide on colleges and majors in about a year and I've been juggling economics, engineering, or mathematics (a double major in math/econ or math/engineering?) as possible courses of intellectual pursuit.  While I don't have any qualms about learning economics from professors of disparate schools of thought on the subject, I've heard that academia can be a little suffocating, especially for individuals of an Austrian bent.  Thoughts?

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Sat, Dec 17 2011 6:07 PM

"At the risk of derailing this thread"

It's hard to derail a thread made by a user in the glory of said user, by asking said user questions about what to do with your life :P

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sat, Dec 17 2011 6:27 PM

My uninformed opinion is that an economics major is useless. Who're you gonna work for? The government or some institute?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 297
Points 5,250
Rcder replied on Sat, Dec 17 2011 6:33 PM

It's hard to derail a thread made by a user in the glory of said user, by asking said user questions about what to do with your life :P

I try not to chart the course of my life by advice given from random people on the Internet, but this Student guy really seems like he's got something going, yah know?

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Sat, Dec 17 2011 6:40 PM

"I try not to chart the course of my life by advice given from random people on the Internet, but this Student guy really seems like he's got something going, yah know?"

Student is special. He's a thinker, an innovator, a leader.... You can learn a lot from student. He's a great man, and an even greater dancer.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

My uninformed opinion is that an economics major is useless. Who're you gonna work for? The government or some institute?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505145_162-37246116/20-best-paying-college-degrees-in-2011/

It's one of the better paying degrees out there.  Besides all that if one really wants to talk the talk in economics, or whatever it looks a lot better if you actually do the degree.

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sat, Dec 17 2011 6:54 PM

Alright, but what job do you expect to find as an economist?

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Sat, Dec 17 2011 7:01 PM

Bank

&

Influence.

With these two come the other things that you want.

Money

Car

Nice House

Capitalism.

All around results in

????

Profit!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Sun, Dec 18 2011 12:10 AM

Neodoxy:

Bank

&

Influence.

Uh.  What?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Sun, Dec 18 2011 12:47 AM

That reminds me, I'm starting to run out of influence.

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
DanielMuff replied on Sun, Dec 18 2011 12:55 AM

The Fonz might be cool, but Ron Paul is my homeboy.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Sun, Dec 18 2011 1:20 AM

This.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,010
Points 17,405

Big fan!

"They all look upon progressing material improvement as upon a self-acting process." - Ludwig von Mises
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 947
Points 22,055
Student replied on Sun, Dec 18 2011 9:14 AM

I think it depends on where you want to wind up in 5 years. If you like the idea of working with data and doing research, an undergrad Econ degree could help you get a job as a entry level policy or financial analyst. So that would be one reason to follow that degree path even if you disagree with some of the things you learn in class (but note an a double majored in Econ and some kind of engineering could be useful here too).

I guess that brings

Up your question of whether academia can be suffocating for someone of an Austrian bent. Really, it probably depends on your school. I was lucky in that we had faculty members that were interested in economic intellectual history and even Austrian Econ in some cases (that was partly how I became interested in AE myself). 

But even if your faculty isn't Austrian friendly, you nay the experience of grappling with unfamiliar methods engaging and not suffocating. Especially if your teachers are open to lots of questions and chats during office hours.

Hope this helps!

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 947
Points 22,055
Student replied on Sun, Dec 18 2011 9:19 AM

Err that was for Rcder and I can't edit the post to say so. :p

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,943
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Conza88 replied on Sun, Dec 18 2011 9:19 AM

"That guy really is something."

Value is subjective. Econ 101. cool

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sun, Dec 18 2011 12:04 PM

Oh, you wish to suggest that the man is literally nothingcheeky

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Sun, Dec 18 2011 12:05 PM

"Uh.  What?"

It's an incredibly vague reference which I forgot was quite as vague as it was and so probably wasn't worth posting :P

"The Fonz might be cool, but Ron Paul is my homeboy."

The Fonz would beat Ron Paul in a fight.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,105
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Surely the Fonz would never be so uncool as to start a fight with Ron... 

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Neodoxy:
It's an incredibly vague reference which I forgot was quite as vague as it was and so probably wasn't worth posting

Perhaps...but it sounded like you were saying "bank & influence" were two reasons to become a professional economist...as in, becoming a professional economist generally brings you those things...which is probably one of the most dumbfounding things I've heard.  It sounds like the punchline of an economist joke.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Sun, Dec 18 2011 3:47 PM

"Surely the Fonz would never be so uncool as to start a fight with Ron.."

True. That would  be most uncool.

"Perhaps...but it sounded like you were saying "bank & influence" were two reasons to become a professional economist...as in, becoming a professional economist generally brings you those things...which is probably one of the most dumbfounding things I've heard.  It sounds like the punchline of an economist joke."

Oh, I thought you meant the phrasing.
Well basically. It depends on what you do. I've never met an economist with a phd who's in any way struggling (and yes, I have actually met a fair number even though I was actually surprised by the average paycheck shown in Vive's link) and one can't deny that economists wield a fair amount of influence when compared to a normal person. This is especially true depending upon how much influence they attempt to take, be it within the economic field itself (which tends to make its way out, however vaguely to public policy and opinion), with political groups (like Krugman or Murphy both of whom have a fair amount of sway over very different groups), or through public policy (Bernanke, economic advisors and the like).
I'm not saying its the best paying or most influential position, but if you're just going for a PHD it's hard to go too much further in these areas than with a degree in economics
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Sun, Dec 18 2011 3:49 PM

"Oh, you wish to suggest that the man is literally nothingcheeky"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Neodoxy:
Well basically. It depends on what you do. I've never met an economist with a phd who's in any way struggling (and yes, I have actually met a fair number even though I was actually surprised by the average paycheck shown in Vive's link)

First of all, that was not the average paycheck.  That was the median paycheck.  There is big a difference, which you might want to look up.  Second, that was mid-career salary, as in after 15 years of experience in the field.  Third, as far as I could see the survey does not offer any information regarding the number of people who hold such degrees versus the number who are employed at any salary...let alone that one.

...one can't deny that economists wield a fair amount of influence when compared to a normal person.

What exactly is a "normal" person?  Somone who has an equivalent degree in some other field?  Someone who has no degree at all?  Or someone who simply doesn't have an economics degree?

And I guess it would need to be made clear what kind of influence we're talking about.  You might be talking about influence in a specific department at a specific educational institution or something of that sort.  Generally when people talk about a posititon of influence they mean in the sense of indirect power...as in someone who can individually affect great change.  Of course you can point to Ben Bernanke or Paul Krugman...but if you're going that far I could easily point to virtually any profession and say it has vast influence on geo-politics, the economy, and even war and peace.  I could say soccer players have influence and point to Pele single-handedly stopping a civil war in Nigeria.  I could say agronomists have influence and point to Norman Borlaug.  I could say destitute people have influence and point to Gandhi.

Naming the extreme exceptions does not help support a claim about "average".

I'm not saying its the best paying or most influential position, but if you're just going for a PHD it's hard to go too much further in these areas than with a degree in economics

The question was "what job do you expect to find as an economist?"  And what's more, it sounds like your post was answering "why would someone get a degree in economics?"

And for those two questions, I honestly don't see "bank & influence" being very accurate answers.  Other than Krugman and his insane obsession with living in an Isaac Asimov novel, I honestly don't see many people looking for money and power saying "I know...I'll get a graduate degree in economics!".

Page 1 of 2 (50 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS