Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Student Appreciation Thread

This post has 49 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Sun, Dec 18 2011 5:36 PM

"First of all, that was not the average paycheck.  That was the median paycheck.  There is big a difference, which you might want to look up."

Yea I remember learning the difference in fourth grade.

"Second, that was mid-career salary, as in after 15 years of experience in the field."

And?

"Third, as far as I could see the survey does not offer any information regarding the number of people who hold such degrees versus the number who are employed at any salary...let alone that one".

That's a fair point, although the fact is that if one gets a job surrounding an economics PHD then you have a 50 percent shot at getting one above 100 K a year (yes, I know it's not that simple for any specific individual but if we don't know any more about them then that's the case).

"What exactly is a "normal" person?"

People who fit broadly into the catagory of the 'average' American which is some college and about a fourth with a degree, much fewer with a PHD in any field.

"And I guess it would need to be made clear what kind of influence we're talking about."

It depends upon what kind of influence one works towards.

"I could say soccer players have influence and point to Pele single-handedly stopping a civil war in Nigeria.  I could say agronomists have influence and point to Norman Borlaug.  I could say destitute people have influence and point to Gandhi."

Yes, but if you want to take your chances of having influence then a degree in economics will undoubtedly boost your chances greatly, just as the degree and great footballing ability helped the two you mentioned to become influential, and Gandhi's education helped him to develope the message, drive, and eloquence, to be influential.

'Naming the extreme exceptions does not help support a claim about "average".'

No argument there, but it can help to reinforce the message, especially since I am claiming that it partly depends upon what you want to do with it. Most economists spend their time on mundane research of various kinds, working on small things which are unlikely to majorly influence the field and will only affect any sort of public policy in a very roundabout way, but if one wanted to then one's knowledge and standing give one a good deal of room for influence. What part of this do you doubt?

"And for those two questions, I honestly don't see "bank & influence" being very accurate answers.  Other than Krugman and his insane obsession with living in an Isaac Asimov novel, I honestly don't see many people looking for money and power saying "I know...I'll get a graduate degree in economics!"."

I'm not necessarily arguing that if one wanted those things that an econ degree would be one's first choice, I'm merely saying that if one wanted those things then it's easy to go a lot more wrong than those. It was just a joke answer at first, but that doesn't mean there isn't some validity behind it.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Sun, Dec 18 2011 7:31 PM

I think less of Student because he made this thread. In fact, I'm surprised this thread wasn't removed immediately after it was created.

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

http://mises.org/Community/forums/t/6317.aspx

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Sun, Dec 18 2011 8:17 PM

I didn't mean to imply that every thread must be serious - but I, for one, am certainly not amused by this thread.

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Autolykos:
I didn't mean to imply that every thread must be serious - but I, for one, am certainly not amused by this thread.

I don't think anyone is, or ever was for that matter.  That's why it quickly got buried soon after it was created, until the creator decided to troll some more and bumped it a couple days ago, and it quickly got derailed...which is the only reason it is where it is now.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 947
Points 22,055
Student replied on Sun, Dec 18 2011 9:03 PM

I'm seeing a lot of negative energy in a thread is only suppose to be about POSTIVE energy...directed at me...or the Fonz. Thank you for your cooperation.

Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine - Elvis Presley

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 9:33 PM

Student,

I'm sure that I, and many others, are intensly curious as to which one of histories' greatest leaders you consider yourself to most thoroughly embody. If you had to choose:

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 947
Points 22,055
Student replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 11:51 PM

Thanks for getting this thread back on track. But clearly there is a typo in your question. I'm sure what you meant to ask is which of these leaders  most embody ME. 

The answer of course is that I'm sure they all in my debt to some extent. Biden more than most. But mostly because I paid for his hair plugs.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 390
Points 7,705

Student is one of the smartest guys in this forum, and very very helpful. But what makes him the best is that he is not snobbish, unlike many other pricks over here. Cheers!

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 947
Points 22,055
Student replied on Fri, Apr 12 2013 2:38 AM

Aw shucks. You ain't gotta be sorry for liking sweet johnny. Sweet johny likes you too.

Page 2 of 2 (50 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS