Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Suggestions for high school book regarding colonial-constitution period

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
7 Posts
Points 375
righttosecede posted on Fri, Jul 15 2011 9:34 AM

Greetings!

In assembling my curriculum for my US history course for the 2011-12 school year I am having my 10th grade students read two books. I have chosen DiLorenzo's "The Real Lincoln" for the civil war period but am stumped as to a book for the colonial period. I have Rothbard's "Conceived In Liberty" which I love but of course this is way too much for 13 week segment. Woods' PI guide to US history is too brief on the colonial and also covers topics we won't be covering. Would you have any suggestions? As always thank you for your ideas!

Steve

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
Male
947 Posts
Points 22,055

Howard Zinn's "A People's History of the United States" has several interesting chapters on the colonial period that would be well suited for a high school audience I think. 

You can also get it free online:
http://alternative-x.com/store/Howard%20Zinn%20-%20A%20People's%20History%20of%20the%20United%20States,%201492-Present.pdf

Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine - Elvis Presley

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
424 Posts
Points 5,980

Albert Jay Nock's "Jefferson" has some valuable little insights into that period of time.  It's free here.  Dunno if that'd be too specific though.

Eating Propaganda

What do you mean i don't care how your day was?!

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Male
7 Posts
Points 375

Wonderful book! In fact I'll use pieces of it but you are right to specific. Thank you for your post!

Top 100 Contributor
Male
947 Posts
Points 22,055

you're welcome! smiley

Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine - Elvis Presley

Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

You might check through this History Reading List and see what you think might work/what you can get ahold of.  It's not all what you're looking for, but it's a pretty good list and it may give you some ideas and some sources to look into.

You might also consider showing pieces of some of these lectures in class:

Thomas E. Woods: The Truth About American History (10)

Not Ranked
Male
99 Posts
Points 1,465

Don't get fired. I'm fairly positive that teachers in my district would be fired for using DiLorenzo.

Top 200 Contributor
424 Posts
Points 5,980

Matticus Rex:

Don't get fired. I'm fairly positive that teachers in my district would be fired for using DiLorenzo.

I read that and 10th grade in the OP and thought that he was end branching it.  Especially with his thoughts on Lincoln.  Hamilton you might be able to get away with, but Lincoln's shortcomings are waaaay more controversial.

When Ron Paul asked DiLorenzo to speak at a hearing on Silver and Gold Bullion at the treasury, one of the African american members of the house pretty much said straight up that Southern Poverty Law says that DiLorenzo is a racist and promotes racist ideology and then said he had nothing to say to him.  hahah.  Everyone here knows SPLC is bullshit and a very liberal biased demonization organization.

Eating Propaganda

Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

Jacob:
I read that and 10th grade in the OP and thought that he was end branching it.

I have no idea what that means.

When Ron Paul asked DiLorenzo to speak at a hearing on Silver and Gold Bullion at the treasury, one of the African american members of the house pretty much said straight up that Southern Poverty Law says that DiLorenzo is a racist and promotes racist ideology and then said he had nothing to say to him.  hahah.

He said: "I'm confused why you're here. The bulk of your work is revisionist history of Lincoln and you work for a nationalist group, the League of the South, which has been called a hate group by the Southern Christian Leadership Council. You called Lincoln the 'first dictator president.' I have no questions for you."

Top 200 Contributor
424 Posts
Points 5,980

He said: "I'm confused why you're here. The bulk of your work is revisionist history of Lincoln and you work for a nationalist group, the League of the South, which has been called a hate group by the Southern Christian Leadership Council. You called Lincoln the 'first dictator president.' I have no questions for you."

what happens to a tree branch when you stand (or put heavy weight) on the end of it?

and that is NOT what he said.  He DID refer to the SPLC not the SCLC  I watched it live and remember it quite clearly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-_9jId_2Jk&feature=player_detailpage#t=435s

That article you linked to whitewashes the SPLC's role in demonizing liberty groups.

Eating Propaganda

Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

Wow.  Thanks for that link.  I knew it was technically a blog, but still...it's that of a major, international magazine...I wouldn't have thought it would actually quote something when it was really a paraphrase.  Disappointing.

That being said, I do have to say, I was wondering why DiLorenzo was there myself.  I still can't figure why Paul (or Tom himself) would open themselves to that kind of targeting.  I don't care how well versed in ABCT he might be, there had to be someone else with more relevant credentials available.  And as great as Vedder is, again, he's primarily an economic historian, and he's not even much of an Austrian.  I don't get it.  Seems like a missed opportunity to me.

And speaking of SPLC, guess who penned an article just a few weeks ago...

Top 200 Contributor
424 Posts
Points 5,980

right?  i thought what i was saying was a paraphrase.

SPLC is infiltrated and protected.  They are an FBI spy group.  No joke.  It is interesting to see the history of the founding and founders of the SPLC and the ADL, particularly. 

Any time i see them making a statement about hate groups i think, "The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

Eating Propaganda

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS