Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Rothbard on Time Preference & the Demand for Money.

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
163 Posts
Points 5,275
djussila posted on Sat, Jul 16 2011 5:52 PM

In Rothbards "America's Great Depression", he makes the assertion that:

"The demand for money is completely unrelated to the time-preferences people might adopt."  Pg 40. "Keynesian Criticisms of the Theory."  

I am having difficulty understanding this. Is it not true that when a persons demand for cash holdings or savings increase - does it not follow that their time-preferences increase as well from a lower time preference to a higher one?  

He next gives an example as evidence:

"Increased hoarding, therefore, could just as easily come out of reduced consumption as out of reduced investment." 

I also can't "connect the dots" from his assertion to the evidence he supplies. Anybody?

EDIT: The example given may be better understood within the context of the chapter.     

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,249 Posts
Points 70,775

EDIT: Need to think about it more.

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
2,966 Posts
Points 53,250
DD5 replied on Sun, Jul 17 2011 9:27 AM

Dustin Jussila:

"Increased hoarding, therefore, could just as easily come out of reduced consumption as out of reduced investment." 

I also can't "connect the dots" from his assertion to the evidence he supplies. Anybody?

He is simply laying out for you the the only possible logical combinations by which one can increase his cash holdings by reducing spendings.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
653 Posts
Points 13,185

"The demand for money is completely unrelated to the time-preferences people might adopt."  Pg 40. "Keynesian Criticisms of the Theory."  

I am having difficulty understanding this. Is it not true that when a persons demand for cash holdings or savings increase - does it not follow that their time-preferences increase as well from a lower time preference to a higher one?  

An increased demand for cash holdings on its own would represent an increase in time preference--more cash now as opposed to later.  But that demand might be satisfied by a reduced consumption which we would call a lowering of time preference.  In the larger context, it would make no sense to say that I stopped going out to lunch because I wanted to hold more cash and call that a higher time preference.

they said we would have an unfair fun advantage

"enough about human rights. what about whale rights?" -moondog
Top 50 Contributor
2,360 Posts
Points 43,785
z1235 replied on Sun, Jul 17 2011 10:07 AM

Dustin Jussila:

Here's my take. If time preference is strictly refering to the time of consumption (highTP = consumption now; lowTP = consumption later), as it IMHO should be, then increased demand for money (increased hoarding) "could just as easily come out of reduced consumption as out of reduced investment". If it comes from the former then it does affect time preference. If it comes from the latter then it doesn't. The latter part destroys any direct relationship between the former (consumption) and the time preference. 

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS