Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

mises.org been slow

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko Posted: Sun, Jul 17 2011 7:42 PM

mises.org has been working really slow for me for the past 3-4 days. It can take 2 minutes or even more for a page to load. But intermittently it also works normally. Like, it will work normally for a minute and then work really slow for a few.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,249
Points 70,775

Big Brother is toying with you, Marko.

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Wed, Jul 20 2011 3:57 AM

It seems to be a Firefox and mises.org combination that causes this. It works fine with Chrome.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 597
Points 12,920
Staff
SystemAdministrator
jtucker replied on Wed, Jul 20 2011 9:18 AM

I'm not seeing this at all. We now live in the cloud, so it should be faster than ever.

Publisher, Laissez-Faire Books

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Wed, Jul 20 2011 9:41 AM

Works fine here at the moment in Chrome & Firefox, under Linux.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 645
Points 9,865
James replied on Wed, Jul 20 2011 9:42 AM

Works fine for me in Firefox 5 and Chrome on Windoze.

Non bene pro toto libertas venditur auro
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

I haven't noticed a speed difference either.  But I have noticed the cloud move broke the edit preview function on the wiki

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 768
Points 12,035
ladyattis replied on Wed, Jul 20 2011 10:02 AM

I'm getting random issues with regard to DNS resolves, Tucker. I don't think it's your end. It might be Firefox 5's own DNS caching to blame. If you want to check, just see what your DNS record says, if you're using a CDN to deal with spike in the network traffic (might be a bad CNAME record, but that's just a blind guess on my part).

"The power of liberty going forward is in decentralization.  Not in leaders, but in decentralized activism.  In a market process." -- liberty student

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 768
Points 12,035
ladyattis replied on Wed, Jul 20 2011 10:07 AM

Okay, for Firefox 5 users, search for the extension called DNS Flush. It'll clear bad copies of DNS records since the old trick in about:config doesn't work for the current version anymore. I swear Mozilla Foundation devs need to patch this bug quickly (I swear it's ridiculous).

Edit: That solution isn't 100% optimal, it seems. I'm still having resolve issues. Might be my ISP (mine is Cox Communications). I'm still digging through my logs on wireshark. I need to learn to filter this crap. X_X

"The power of liberty going forward is in decentralization.  Not in leaders, but in decentralized activism.  In a market process." -- liberty student

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Wed, Jul 20 2011 10:19 AM

lady I doubt you'll have many disagreements

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 768
Points 12,035
ladyattis replied on Wed, Jul 20 2011 10:22 AM

Okay, I've tried mises.org with IE8, still the same random loading issue. This had to be residential ISP based. There's no real answer to resolving this other than changing one's DNS servers to Google's Public DNS servers or even a public Level 3 DNS server (whichever is faster).

Edit: try adding network.dns.disablePrefetch to your about:config as a boolean value set to true. It works better, but still I haven't been able to fix this completely on my end. But I tried third party ping and traceroute sites, they're not having any issues resolving mises.org.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Wed, Jul 20 2011 1:11 PM

On Opera it works fine except I got a "A page on the public Internet requests data from your private intranet. For security reasons, automatic access is blocked, but you may choose to continue." warning. I went with continue and it was fine, but the funny thing is this message occured only at something like the 3rd visit with Opera. I didn't need to do this the first two times.

Perhaps this is noteable.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Wed, Jul 20 2011 1:15 PM

I'm not seeing this at all. We now live in the cloud, so it should be faster than ever.

Yes, I am very happy with the speed on Chrome/Opera.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Mon, Aug 8 2011 2:29 PM

I don't know when exactly this happened because I had been using Chrome since reporting this problem, but it is all good now. The speed is back to normal for me on Firefox.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS