Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Praxgirl?

rated by 0 users
This post has 25 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 424
Points 5,980
Em_ptySkin Posted: Mon, Jul 18 2011 11:21 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoNU_-__LlQ&feature=related

it's almost hard to focus on the economics.

Eating Propaganda

What do you mean i don't care how your day was?!

• | Post Points: 95
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 55
Points 1,060
Bill replied on Mon, Jul 18 2011 11:59 PM

Her lecturing on this subject makes her 100x hotter than she already is. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 194
Points 4,315
Mike replied on Tue, Jul 19 2011 12:29 AM

she is hot.. let's spread the word

Be responsible, ease suffering; spay or neuter your pets.

We must get them to understand that government solutions are the problem!

• | Post Points: 50
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 424
Points 5,980
Em_ptySkin replied on Tue, Jul 19 2011 12:50 AM

not just that but she is lecturing introductory mises

Eating Propaganda

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Tue, Jul 19 2011 12:57 AM

it's almost hard to focus on the economics.

Oddly enough this is quite true :P Had quite a difficult time focusing on her words (ok, giving that verb a directo object makes it imply something else, geez :P ). Maybe because it was an introduction.

EDIT: Ah, empty skin, you ninja.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 424
Points 5,980

?

Eating Propaganda

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Tue, Jul 19 2011 5:30 AM

Ninja'd means you posted as I was posting.

not just that but she is lecturing introductory mises

I thought you meant that it is the reason why you couldn't concentrate. That's the same thing I was saying. But re-reading what you said, maybe that was just an addition to "she's hot, let's spread the word"

Not Ranked
Posts 42
Points 795

I liked this exchange from the comments on the first video:

You're much more fappable then Robert Murphy. :D
Apptendo

@Apptendo SHUTUP! ROBERT MURPHY IS BEAUTIFUL!
DeraJa

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 424
Points 5,980

I knid of figured she was like an advertising gimmick, haha.

I don't know what else i can do to help.  I posted a video and made a thread where i figured traffic would be high.  She's hot, just put pictures of her everywhere...

Eating Propaganda

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 947
Points 22,055
Student replied on Tue, Jul 19 2011 11:07 PM

sexual objectification is a form of sexism folks. Let's keep it classy. 

Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine - Elvis Presley

• | Post Points: 50
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 424
Points 5,980
Em_ptySkin replied on Tue, Jul 19 2011 11:22 PM

not trying to step on any toes, dad.  and besides, are we not mature enough to see advertising gimmicks for what they are (does'nt even mean it is one)?  Pretty sure even models know why they are making money.

Eating Propaganda

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 55
Points 1,060
Bill replied on Wed, Jul 20 2011 12:28 AM

Student: sexual objectification is a form of sexism folks. Let's keep it classy.

Student, I admire the insights you bring to the table in the discussions I have read.  But on the subject. While I think it would be hurtful and only a fraction of the truth to tell Praxgirl a major reason for her effectiveness/interest accumulation is simply that she is stunning, I think that it is impossible not to objectify something one finds beautiful, beneficial, good etc. Comodification/objectification is inevitable in a free market.  The extent to which it influences decisions should be kept to a minimum in order to rely on reason and not biological impulse, but to exclude it from existing is futile. We are discriminating beings. I think that she understands that she is beautiful and presenting a dry topic to the masses. I am more interested in learning about praxeology now that I know there is some pretty girl out there who is interested too. Its a dream to find a girl that understands economics and human behavior especially one espousing the Austrian methodology. Am I wrong? Am not classy? Its all subjective. 

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 947
Points 22,055
Student replied on Wed, Jul 20 2011 12:56 AM

comments like these are what annoy me.

Brilliant. Use hot women to make the masses pay attention to economics! - 19TECH85 (Youtube)

she is hot.. let's spread the word - Mike (Mises.org)

Whether intentional or not i think these comments relay a desire to *use* praxgirl as an *instrument* for spreading austrian econ, just because she is attractive. that is basically THE definition of sexual objectification as it amounts to reducing her from a person to an object that can used in service of a cause. 

Now, I'm sure the counter argument would be that I am reading "too much" into things or being too sensative. And that could be true. But I would be much more convinced that it was just "my problem" if at least ONE person had wrote a substantial post engaging with content of at least ONE of her videos (e.g. beyond saying "she seems smart" or "she's austrian so that's a plus"). So far, the basic point we all agree on is that she is easy on the eyes. That simply shouldn't do.

Now, I didn't mean to start some discussion on the nature of sexual objectification or the state of sexism in today's society. All I was really trying to say was let's make fewer comments about praxgirl's looks and more on what she is saying. THAT'S keeping it classy.  

And that's all I got to say. 

Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine - Elvis Presley

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 429
Points 7,400

No one cares what "annoys" you. You're on an internet forum trying to tackle sexism. What a waste of time. Go do something else to feel important.

it amounts to reducing her from a person to an object that can used in service of a cause.

We necessarily treat everything as an object. As far as any action is concerned, everyone and everything is a means to an end. You know this. How do I treat someone like a person? I'm curious.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 424
Points 5,980

hahahahha

nonanti, keep it classy.

anyone wanna buy my gum?  I'm not advertising using techinques that are meant to impart feelings of arousal!  I'm being sexist! 

Sex doesn't sell.  It's the product.  advertising 101.

btw, a 'person' is what we used to call slaves.  Careful or you'll owe money to the sensitivity jar...

Eating Propaganda

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,389
Points 21,840

Well, on the plus side, fortunately most of this rhetoric isn't seen as good in actual practice within most aspects of society - and in some regard this reflects itself even in law

"As in a kaleidoscope, the constellation of forces operating in the system as a whole is ever changing." - Ludwig Lachmann

"When A Man Dies A World Goes Out of Existence"  - GLS Shackle

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Wed, Jul 20 2011 6:47 AM

Student: Now, I'm sure the counter argument would be that I am reading "too much" into things or being too sensative. And that could be true. But I would be much more convinced that it was just "my problem" if at least ONE person had wrote a substantial post engaging with content of at least ONE of her videos (e.g. beyond saying "she seems smart" or "she's austrian so that's a plus"). So far, the basic point we all agree on is that she is easy on the eyes. That simply shouldn't do.

I'm in total agreement with this point.

Being attractive has gotten her videos an initial boost in viewers from people who already agree with her. But what matters is if she can spark the interest and understanding of people who do not yet agree with her. If she can't deliver on the content and presentation, then it's a failure (unless you have some other objective in mind).

I'm unimpressed by the way she reads the pre-written text. People don't like being talked to like a child. Emphasizing every part of a sentence and forcing a smile.

They've toned it down a little bit, but her reveiling clothes in episode 1 and 2 seem more like a distractrion than an attraction to the ideas.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 630
Points 9,425

I think the videos are great and she is a very good speaker and is interesting to listen to.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Jack Roberts:
I think the videos are great and she is a very good speaker and is interesting to listen to.

It's possible the fact that someone disagrees with you means your opinion is wrong.  (At least, that's what I've been told.)

Not Ranked
Posts 23
Points 350
Dave replied on Wed, Jul 20 2011 10:49 AM

I was trying to embedd the playlist but this is all I could figure out.

playlist?list=PLAADC58C2FF6A7E23

Anyways, its fun to see these vids on praxeology being made. 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 768
Points 12,035
ladyattis replied on Wed, Jul 20 2011 11:00 AM

Yeah, it's a bit forced, but I still like the fact it's other folks besides neckbeards that know about Mises.

"The power of liberty going forward is in decentralization.  Not in leaders, but in decentralized activism.  In a market process." -- liberty student

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,055
Points 41,895

This should bolster our ranks of desperate, lonely males.  We don't have enough of those.  She has almost as many views as Hulsmann and he has been on for over a year.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

Interesting video

'Men do not change, they unmask themselves' - Germaine de Stael

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Wed, Jul 20 2011 6:21 PM

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

So after churning out literally a baker's dozen of these, the folks at Praxeology.tv have now created a pretty slick promo...

Full playlist

(including some a couple Hoppe lectures added at the end for good measure)

Page 1 of 1 (26 items) | RSS