Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

anarchism and gated communities

This post has 94 Replies | 8 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 220
xanderverelst Posted: Wed, Jul 20 2011 10:08 PM

Just a brief question. If there's nothing wrong with gated communities (including the fact that people can't secede from them and thet can raise 'taxes'), what's wrong with a state?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
DanielMuff replied on Wed, Jul 20 2011 10:57 PM

1) Person A joined the gated community voluntarily, whereas he did not voluntarily join the state.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Wed, Jul 20 2011 11:15 PM

Whilst I think that anyone who would join this type of oganization would have be incredibly foolish they still agree to it. Libertarians aren't against welfare because they want the poor to starve, they're against it because it doesn't work well and it's forceful. This situation is similar.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 220

I assume that people in a gated community can still have babies ;) ? 

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 220

Whether it works or not is an economical dispute, and hence doesn't imply justice or injustice. Involving the use of 'force' is of no help either, since libertarians also agree that force can be used legitimally. Hence, the question is when the use of force is justified. That's where the difference of opinion kicks in, isn't it?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

"I assume that people in a gated community can still have babies ;) ?"

????

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Your OP is doesn't give enough information and you should define your terms.

What does it mean for someone to not be able to secede from a gated community? What do you mean by "taxes?"

What are the contractual terms for living within the gated commmunity?

Is this gated community one big rental property? Or do the people individually own the homes, but have some sort of homeowners association.

Your OP is kinda like asking: "Was it okay for my neighbor to have punched me in the nose?" Well, did you give your neighbor permission to do so?

We needs more info!

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,209
Points 35,645
Merlin replied on Thu, Jul 21 2011 3:07 AM

If the state would morally come to own the land it claims (purchased it without stolen funds) there would indeed be nothing wrong with it.

The Regression theorem is a memetic equivalent of the Theory of Evolution. To say that the former precludes the free emergence of fiat currencies makes no more sense that to hold that the latter precludes the natural emergence of multicellular organisms.
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 220

- regarding the babies, people can be born in a gated comminuty just like they can be born in a state. In neither case would it be 'voluntarily'.

- further, you can make the gated community look like the US in all its contractual arrangements. In both cases, people are born in it, people come to live there, people leave it. You can disagree with what is decided by the 'government' of your gated community, but where does the injustice come from?

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Thu, Jul 21 2011 8:27 AM

xanderverelst:
Just a brief question. If there's nothing wrong with gated communities (including the fact that people can't secede from them and thet can raise 'taxes'), what's wrong with a state?

Here I may differ from my libertarian colleagues. I think there is something wrong with a gated community if one can't secede from it. Essentially, any association where, upon joining, one can't voluntarily leave at any time is not exactly a voluntary association, now is it?

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,288
Points 22,350

I think he means secede and retain the land.  They are, of course, permitted to leave with their possessions.  I think we have to realise that in such gated communities, the inhabitants do not actually own the land and/or house where they live.  They simply have a contract with the landlord - and either party can choose to discontinue the transaction.  If this is not the case, preventing secession is indeed serfdom.

Of course, tracing back the original acquisition of the land by the landlord may reveal that it simply ocurred by fiat under the state - but that is not necessarily the case.

The Voluntaryist Reader: http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com/ Libertarian forums that actually work: http://voluntaryism.freeforums.org/index.php
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Thu, Jul 21 2011 9:23 AM

Aristippus:
I think he means secede and retain the land.  They are, of course, permitted to leave with their possessions.  I think we have to realise that in such gated communities, the inhabitants do not actually own the land and/or house where they live.  They simply have a contract with the landlord - and either party can choose to discontinue the transaction.  If this is not the case, preventing secession is indeed serfdom.

I consider a person to actually own real estate if he has allodial title to it. This, of course, means that hardly anyone in the world owns real estate, even though many people think they do.

My understanding is that, in a stateless society, ownership of land would mean holding allodial title and nothing else. If the members of a gated community don't have allodial titles to the real estate each of them "owns", then they have been defrauded and essentially put into bondage as serfs. The only ways out of this situation are for each member to have allodial title to his real estate, which implies that the gated community is a voluntary association and nothing more, or for there to be no actual ownership of real estate perceived by any member of the gated community, at which point the gated community is a glorified rental complex. Either way is fine by me.

Aristippus:
Of course, tracing back the original acquisition of the land by the landlord may reveal that it simply ocurred by fiat under the state - but that is not necessarily the case.

Right, but I see a problem in modern statist legal systems involving equivocation of the word "ownership" when it comes to real estate.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,288
Points 22,350

Yeah, I was viewing it as a 'glorified rental complex'.  But such things might not even come about in a stateless society.

The Voluntaryist Reader: http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com/ Libertarian forums that actually work: http://voluntaryism.freeforums.org/index.php
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Thu, Jul 21 2011 10:51 AM

xanderverelst:

- Regarding the babies, people can be born in a gated community just like they can be born in a state. In neither case would it be 'voluntarily'.

- Further, you can make the gated community look like the US in all its contractual arrangements. In both cases, people are born in it, people come to live there, people leave it. You can disagree with what is decided by the 'government' of your gated community, but where does the injustice come from?

And the babies would not be subject to the contract, that would be slavey.

Also, there is nothing contractual about the United States. Period. You are not asked to sign a contract in your entire life as a United States citizen, you're forced to go to a school where you are taught a U.S version of history. When one becomes an adult he will not recieve contract saying asking him if he wants to pay taxes, he will recieve a tax bill.

The United States was never a contract for anyone, the only one it was, was for a handful of representatives out of millions, and this would not not apply to their children.

You cannot force your offspring to do things through contract, that is born slavery, I cannot sign a contract saying "My first child will be forced to follow these rules" any more than I can sign a contract saying "My firstborn child will be a slave to person ______" or that he would "owe 10,000 dollars to _____"

Libertarians only support force in defense of one's person and property. Everyone supports force, this does not mean that you can then support nonsense like "killing is wrong" or any other nonsensical derivative

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,289
Points 18,820
MaikU replied on Thu, Jul 21 2011 11:02 AM

also, OP , read Spooner. (No Treason)

"Dude... Roderick Long is the most anarchisty anarchist that has ever anarchisted!" - Evilsceptic

(english is not my native language, sorry for grammar.)

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,008
Points 19,520
Eric080 replied on Thu, Jul 21 2011 11:34 AM

Xandervereist, as a child you don't have a choice of being born in the first place.  I guess that means I'm being "coerced" by nature.  You hardly have the capacity for voluntary choice upon birth to begin with.  Once you are able to make voluntary choices, then I think you should be afforded all the rights that everybody else gets.

The injustice is that the government is making a fiat land claim.  "Pay the mafia that controls this land from latitude X to latitude Y and then longitude A to longitude Z, or else we won't hurt you.  And this applies all the way from the Rocky Mountains to the Pacific Ocean to the Great Plains to the Appalachian Mountains."  It's easy to see that this is an obvious overclaim when it comes to territory.

Now I think you could retort that the United States came about by small organic states banding together.  But even when it comes to those States, (Virginia, North Carolina, Massachusetts, etc.) I think these were overclaims.  There was no way that these lands were homesteaded by the agents that called themselves The State.  This idea of a gated community thing would most likely work on a microscale.  Also the thing that defines the State the most is the monopoly of force, so you are barred from using a competitor when it comes to legal options.

Now I guess you could also say that a tycoon could acquire a bunch of land and then say, "in order to operate on my property, you have to follow these rules and, by the way, you can't use a competing legal service other than the one I demand."  The point is that you have a choice to enter the property or not.  And the overclaim is the key point here.  This basically amounts to a "love it or leave it" type of argument, but the fundamental difference is the ease of entry and the ease of leaving.  If I could escape the U.S. government by driving 30 miles west and setting up shop there, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Plus if you wound up having these micro-states with autocratic capitalist land holders (something I doubt would even happen in Ancapistan), you would still have competition in attracting "citizens," so they couldn't really abuse their control.

"And it may be said with strict accuracy, that the taste a man may show for absolute government bears an exact ratio to the contempt he may profess for his countrymen." - de Tocqueville
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Thu, Jul 21 2011 11:51 AM

Aristippus:
Yeah, I was viewing it as a 'glorified rental complex'.  But such things might not even come about in a stateless society.

My understanding is that, in a typical gated community, the members believe that they actually own their homes.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Thu, Jul 21 2011 12:00 PM

Neodoxy:
Also, there is nothing contractual about the United States. Period. You are not asked to sign a contract in your entire life as a United States citizen, you're forced to go to a school where you are taught a U.S version of history. When one becomes an adult he will not recieve contract saying asking him if he wants to pay taxes, he will recieve a tax bill.

Technically, most people in the US do fill out W-4 forms in order to be able to work somewhere. However, this doesn't really qualify as a contract, because it's essentially forced upon employers by the IRS. Plus it only applies to federal income and FICA (Social Security and Medicare) taxes.

Neodoxy:
You cannot force your offspring to do things through contract, that is born slavery, I cannot sign a contract saying "My first child will be forced to follow these rules" any more than I can sign a contract saying "My firstborn child will be a slave to person ______" or that he would "owe 10,000 dollars to _____"

Interestingly enough, most people have historically believed otherwise. It starts with one's parents, who are presumed to have authority (even the power of life and death, in some cultures) over him. This authority is superceded by their parents, and so on, until one gets to the oldest living member of the clan/tribe/whatever. One could see this as a form of ownership over one's offspring. To me, the question is whether this is an inherited human condition or whether it was somehow acquired over time. Anyways, my point here is that the state is essentially a really extended family.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

- regarding the babies, people can be born in a gated comminuty just like they can be born in a state. In neither case would it be 'voluntarily'.

- further, you can make the gated community look like the US in all its contractual arrangements. In both cases, people are born in it, people come to live there, people leave it. You can disagree with what is decided by the 'government' of your gated community, but where does the injustice come from?

Well, now you've changed the subject. There are plenty of threads on here about babies. Do a search and engage those.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 220

That's not the point, they are free to leave the gated community (unlike slaves), but they would not be free to acquire property inside the gated community and suddenly declare that they no longer abide by the rules of that gated community and, e.g., let strangers in.

You cannot contractualize everything. The very notion of a contract rests on huge shared assumptions concerning language, meaning, rules, promises, obligations, etc. Hence, the absence of a formal written contract is not crucial. You know very well what the risks, the rights and the obligations are when you either come to the US or stay in the US. I don't see where the written contract would make much of a difference. I guess most people who come to the US would gladly sign that contract, and most people who are in the US would gladly sign it as well. 

Now I guess you could also say that a tycoon could acquire a bunch of land and then say, "in order to operate on my property, you have to follow these rules and, by the way, you can't use a competing legal service other than the one I demand."  The point is that you have a choice to enter the property or not.  And the overclaim is the key point here.  This basically amounts to a "love it or leave it" type of argument, but the fundamental difference is the ease of entry and the ease of leaving.  If I could escape the U.S. government by driving 30 miles west and setting up shop there, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Well, I don't see how "the ease of leaving" (which is a matter of costs) can amount to a "fundamental difference". If I want to switch from MacOS to Windows or Linux, there are also costs involved, and I also have a choice. What's the difference? There's a difference of degree for sure, but where's the fundamental difference? Why would your ability to leave the US by driving 30 or 300 or 3000 miles amount to a "fundamental difference"? Does the injustice of a state vanish for people living less than 30 miles from the border?

And I also don't see how the monopoly of force makes a fundamental difference. In my house in a free society, I would presumably have the monopoly over the use of force, right? But there would be nothing wrong with that. Or I could join a monastery and accept the monopoly over the use of force from the Abbot. Again, I don't see the fundamental difference. Sure, the 'costs' of leaving a state are huge, but why does that amount to a fundamental difference?

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 494
Points 6,980

Gated communities, homeowners associations, whatever you want to call them are not voluntary contracts.  They are quasi-states.  Nowhere in a real estate contract do you sign up to join one of these communities, and in many states there's no obligation to notify the buyer that the property they've bought is tied to such an organization.  You cannot escape the contract you never signed.

Most of these organizations are set up by developers to minimize their liability for negligent or even fraudulent construction.  The charters of these organizations also limit any recourse buyers have against the developer.  In essence, the organization is set up as a contract between the state and the developer, who will act as the board of directors until a certain threshhold is established (i.e., so many units are sold).  At no time does any resident sign up to join, and all residents are bound by the charter, rules and regulations (i.e., by-laws and covenants).

This is totally incompatible with anarchism.  Any association must be voluntary, which by definition requires a process for joining and leaving the association without force or coercion.  Forcing a sale of property in order to leave an association would not be a voluntary action.

Another aspect that is problematic is that dispute resolution is one-sided.  Under such an association you do not get a say in who will resolve a dispute between you and the association, which to me is a fundamental right under anarchy.  Instead, you are required to use only the association's arbiter and you are required to pay the legal expenses of the association.  Then the kicker, even if you win you pay because such are the terms of the association.  So in this sense, there is very little difference between these types of associations and a state.  They essentially have a monopoly on force in the territory described by the charter.

If you belong to an association, your only hope is that your neighbors don't take advantage of the situation and rule the community like Hitler.  Sad thing is, it really only takes one such person to turn it into a living hell.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Thu, Jul 21 2011 3:54 PM

xanderverelst:
That's not the point, they are free to leave the gated community (unlike slaves), but they would not be free to acquire property inside the gated community and suddenly declare that they no longer abide by the rules of that gated community and, e.g., let strangers in.

Then no one in the gated community actually owns any land. So why maintain an illusion to the contrary?

xanderverelst:
You cannot contractualize everything. The very notion of a contract rests on huge shared assumptions concerning language, meaning, rules, promises, obligations, etc.

Really? I'd say that the notion of a contract certainly rests on a common language (including common semantics), but the rules, promises, and obligations - and often the meaning itself! - are spelled out in the contract. That's the whole point of a contract.

xanderverelst:
Hence, the absence of a formal written contract is not crucial.

Given the above, please provide more support for this assertion. Actual logical support would be most appreciated.

xanderverelst:
You know very well what the risks, the rights and the obligations are when you either come to the US or stay in the US.

Really? Everyone who currently resides in the US knows the entire US Code by heart, to say nothing of the Federal Register, state codes, local ordinances, etc.? You can't be serious.

xanderverelst:
I don't see where the written contract would make much of a difference. I guess most people who come to the US would gladly sign that contract, and most people who are in the US would gladly sign it as well.

How is this an argument?

xanderverelst:
Well, I don't see how "the ease of leaving" (which is a matter of costs) can amount to a "fundamental difference". If I want to switch from MacOS to Windows or Linux, there are also costs involved, and I also have a choice. What's the difference? There's a difference of degree for sure, but where's the fundamental difference? Why would your ability to leave the US by driving 30 or 300 or 3000 miles amount to a "fundamental difference"? Does the injustice of a state vanish for people living less than 30 miles from the border?

Hey, if you're not allowed to leave at all, then that's just the same as saying it's incredibly costly to (try to) leave, right? So you should have no problem with situations like the Berlin Wall.

xanderverelst:
And I also don't see how the monopoly of force makes a fundamental difference. In my house in a free society, I would presumably have the monopoly over the use of force, right?

No.

xanderverelst:
But there would be nothing wrong with that.

I disagree.

xanderverelst:
Or I could join a monastery and accept the monopoly over the use of force from the Abbot.

The Abbot wouldn't have a monopoly over the use of force in a free society, either.

xanderverelst:
Again, I don't see the fundamental difference. Sure, the 'costs' of leaving a state are huge, but why does that amount to a fundamental difference?

It doesn't amount to a fundamental difference to you because you're thinking about this entirely in terms of states.

EDIT: Also, what Neodoxy said.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Thu, Jul 21 2011 4:02 PM

xanderverelst:

First of all the vast majority of people in the United States never directly approved the constitution, secondly the land is not expressly owned by the United States government in this case, it is an illegitimate structure that simply laid claim to lands which individuals settled. Your initial flaw is in comparing a country to a gated community in the first place, the state is an illegitimate owner and a frightening monopoly.

xanderverelst:
You cannot contractualize everything. The very notion of a contract rests on huge shared assumptions concerning language, meaning, rules, promises, obligations, etc. Hence, the absence of a formal written contract is not crucial. You know very well what the risks, the rights and the obligations are when you either come to the US or stay in the US. I don't see where the written contract would make much of a difference. I guess most people who come to the US would gladly sign that contract, and most people who are in the US would gladly sign it as well.

If people were en masse suddenly faced with a contract I don't know exactly what they would do, there could well be quite a change actually, and also while you are quite right that not everything can be contractual (a lesson most anarcho-capitalists would do well to learn) the government is NOT everything, it is a very big and specific thing which one will have to interact with for the rest of one's foreseeable future, and while many contracts are unspoken this is one that needs to be as it is a set organization with a very regular functionality.

Assumed contracts of this scale are ridiculous, if I’m in a fairly close knit neighborhood and I walk into someone’s house and take something of theirs, and I say that it’s because I need it, then they would be mad for me just barging in there when they know me and they’re very friendly with me and it’s just a small, irregular thing which could not have been anticipated. Now we abstract to the state which takes massive sums of money from people, without their consent, it is regular, it expects things of them, and so on and yet it asks for no consent even though it’s more alien, less reasonable, and more regular than the neighbor.

The United States’ federal government currently acts without the expressed consent of its people, if it were to directly request consent then anarchistic ideologies would flourish with that very question being in existence. The problem is specifically that people never ask, it is assumed. Assumption from birth is honestly the cause of many of the world's biggest tragedies.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Thu, Jul 21 2011 4:16 PM

What Merlin said. The more I think about it, the more I think that part of the reason the State has been so successful is precisely because it does perform a valuable and necessary function in economically advanced society - border control. All living systems on this planet from the smallest virus to large groups of multi-cellular organisms exhibit the same principle: physical separation of the organized internal from the disorganized external. I think nationalism is half-correct on this point (you have to have a border) but it goes wrong on maintaining internal order through dual-law (privilege). In fact, I think that the highly aggressive posture of the modern State actually mitigates against borders by putting disparate regions and groups into forced hegemony. This is pretty much pure Hoppean theory. The answer is secession in order to allow political units to dissolve to their natural size. Secession in itself will not eliminate privilege but I think that the case for privilege gets a lot harder to make the smaller the political unit is. I'm pretty much just recapitulating this.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,008
Points 19,520
Eric080 replied on Thu, Jul 21 2011 4:46 PM

The difference between switching from MacOs to Windows is that Bill Gates won't send a SWAT team to prevent such a transaction from happening.  The idea in a polycentric legal order is that the land on which you happen to operate will not be tied down to a single legal agency that claims dominion over that land.  In fact, the idea of a State is a lot like Bill Gates saying, "I own the area called the United States, and if you don't do what I say, I will hunt you down and use physical force because you are on MY property."  To that, I would respond, "if I were on your property without your consent, then I think you should hunt me down.  But I'm not on your property, so screw off."

To say, "well you're on the property of the US government and you know what you're getting into" is to beg the question.  Yes, libertarians are challenging the legitimacy of the land claim made by the United States government.

The "ease of leaving" point that I was making is that, technically, every buyer and seller is operating at a monopoly cost because they have the monopoly of that item at that particular time and that particular place.  If I want to buy a Pepsi at one gas station, I'm purchasing Pepsi bottle X at Time Y at Location Z.  But we don't say the gas station owner has a monopoly price if there is another gas station down the road that is selling the same product cheaper.  It doesn't render the concept of a monopoly price meaningless.  That would be a continuum fallacy.

"And it may be said with strict accuracy, that the taste a man may show for absolute government bears an exact ratio to the contempt he may profess for his countrymen." - de Tocqueville
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 531
Points 10,985

"The idea in a polycentric legal order is that the land on which you happen to operate will not be tied down to a single legal agency that claims dominion over that land.  In fact, the idea of a State is a lot like Bill Gates saying, "I own the area called the United States, and if you don't do what I say, I will hunt you down and use physical force because you are on MY property."  To that, I would respond, "if I were on your property without your consent, then I think you should hunt me down."

I fail to see how that is de facto differnt from a state. While the United States as we know it may not exist, there would still be a monopoly on the use of legitimate force within one's property. I understand the argument for why a property claim is a legitimate monopoly of force, but I do not understand how that really differs from a state in the day-to-day functioning of someone who is not on their own property.

"...technically, every buyer and seller is operating at a monopoly cost because they have the monopoly of that item at that particular time and that particular place."

The things that differentiate property in land is that land only exists in one place and we exist within it and not the other way around. Owning space inherently puts conditions upon one's existence in which they either have authority over the space they inhabit or they do not. Moreover, it is neither improbable, nor impossible that the distance between two tracts of property would be quite a bit further than "down the road."

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Fri, Jul 22 2011 8:40 AM

Clayton:
What Merlin said. The more I think about it, the more I think that part of the reason the State has been so successful is precisely because it does perform a valuable and necessary function in economically advanced society - border control. All living systems on this planet from the smallest virus to large groups of multi-cellular organisms exhibit the same principle: physical separation of the organized internal from the disorganized external.

Can you expand on this, please? Do you think property lines count as borders?

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Fri, Jul 22 2011 9:16 AM

Birthday Pony:
I fail to see how that is de facto differnt from a state. While the United States as we know it may not exist, there would still be a monopoly on the use of legitimate force within one's property. I understand the argument for why a property claim is a legitimate monopoly of force, but I do not understand how that really differs from a state in the day-to-day functioning of someone who is not on their own property.

I don't think there should be a monopoly on the legitimate use of force within one's property. For example, if I kill someone on my property who wasn't trying to kill me first, or whom I didn't believe or perceive to be doing so, I think I should be held liable for murder. Having a monopoly on the legitimate use of force within one's property necessarily means that any use of force by anyone else on his property is illegitimate by definition. It could also mean that the property owner is considered to have sole discretion to define "legitimate use of force" within his property.

What's the way around this? In my opinion, the answer is the concept of self-ownership. Considering everyone to have a property right in his own body would prevent such a monopoly over the legitimate use of force from being itself considered legitimate.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,008
Points 19,520
Eric080 replied on Fri, Jul 22 2011 3:02 PM

Ok, well let's say that a rich tycoon owns a large chunk of contiguous land.  He is able to offer a lot of well-paying jobs because he is so rich.  Now he bought the land so he is considered to be its rightful owner.  And he will let you onto his property with the sole condition that you have to abide by his laws and he has a law saying that non-retaliatory force is ok.  Now it seems to me that, if all rights are property rights, then this should be a fine arrangement because it stems from consent of the people joining.

Now ignoring the logistics (who would voluntarily enter such a society?), it seems to me that if a PDA is going to fight aggression on people's behalf, then they can't do anything about this because the arrangement is consentual.  This is similar to the voluntary slavery contract hypothetical.  This would be an instance where it seems to me that there is a monopoly on the use of force within the tycoon's borders but that the agreement is non-coercive (because the tycoon isn't forcing anybody to join his city).

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 531
Points 10,985

I don't see how it would be illigitimate to say that by coming onto my property you agree to any and all conditions I may impose, one of which may be murdering you.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 531
Points 10,985

"Now ignoring the logistics (who would voluntarily enter such a society?), it seems to me that if a PDA is going to fight aggression on people's behalf, then they can't do anything about this because the arrangement is consentual.  This is similar to the voluntary slavery contract hypothetical.  This would be an instance where it seems to me that there is a monopoly on the use of force within the tycoon's borders but that the agreement is non-coercive (because the tycoon isn't forcing anybody to join his city)."

And I fail to see how that is radically different from a state.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,008
Points 19,520
Eric080 replied on Fri, Jul 22 2011 6:17 PM

I agree that it isn't radically different than a state in terms of maybe law enforcement.  I'm posing a question to Autolykos who thinks that nobody is guaranteed a monopoly of force on their property, which seems to go against the libertarian program.

But, there are two differences as I stated earlier.  A) Size.  A private individual could never acquire the land mass that would be equivalent to the size of a country.  B) even if land centralized into the hands of capitalists and things kind of evolved into voluntary governments, they would have to compete for citizens anyway.  If the rules for joining a community were abusive enough, nobody would want to go.  There is no coercion involved, so the glorified landlords still wouldn't grab people from the outside and force them to pay "dues" to the community.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 531
Points 10,985

Well, a lot of this rests on what your position on corporations is. I could easily imagine corporate bodies attaining enough land to be considered a country. Regardless, I don't think it's a stretch of the imagination to imagine a proprietor or partnership owning something the size of a country.

It doesn't take force to make it reasonable to enter a country. If a large enough proprietor owns enough infrastructure, it would be hard to compete shelter-wise, given a lack of alternatives.

And this all really raises the question of how this will come about anyway. If the state is not the legitimate owner of what they own (which I think we all agree on) how do they have the power to sell or privitize their assets? Why would we allow them all the benefits of something that is theirs? And if they were to privitize would they be willing to sell assets to a group that challenges their authority and power or one that is likely to maintain their domination and control?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 531
Points 10,985

*isn't theirs

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Fri, Jul 22 2011 6:52 PM

by coming onto my property you agree to any and all conditions I may impose, one of which may be murdering you.

Or else what? It's absurd.

Clayton -

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 531
Points 10,985

Well, Eric080 put it better than I did:
"And he will let you onto his property with the sole condition that you have to abide by his laws and he has a law saying that non-retaliatory force is ok.  Now it seems to me that, if all rights are property rights, then this should be a fine arrangement because it stems from consent of the people joining."

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 792
Points 13,825

I don't see how it would be illigitimate to say that by coming onto my property you agree to any and all conditions I may impose, one of which may be murdering you.

I don't know how it would be illegitimate for me to refuse to allow you to destroy my property (self) simply by walking onto your property.

faber est suae quisque fortunae

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 792
Points 13,825

I fail to see how that is de facto differnt from a state. While the United States as we know it may not exist, there would still be a monopoly on the use of legitimate force within one's property.

So if I am a guest in someone's home, and the owner of the home attacks me, it would be illegitimate for me to use force to escape the attack and/or defend myself?

faber est suae quisque fortunae

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Fri, Jul 22 2011 8:59 PM

non-retaliatory force is ok.

Initiated by anyone?? Absurd!

I find the "property-in-land == king's territorial sovereignty" schtick really irritating and I find it especially disturbing when so-called libertarians espouse it. What a king does is unlawful even if he owned all the land in a manner consistent with propertarianism. "A man's home is his castle" doesn't mean he may murder his guests as a king may murder a foreign dignitary to ignite a war. The act of murder is unlawful no matter what and it is defined entirely apart from any consideration of whose land it occured on or other irrelevant facts, such as the color of the lampshades of the room in which it occurred.

For the sake of lurkers, I will spell out a thought-experiment which will help you see why this is the case. Alan invites Bob to his home, intending to poison him. Before allowing him to enter, he points at a sign on his door that says "All who enter here do so at their own risk" and asks him to sign a waiver... even highlighting a portion that says "Alan reserve the right to poison or otherwise murder guests at his own discretion." Thinking Alan must be joking, Bob signs the waiver and enters. All of this is also recorded on security camera. Alan has poisoned the dinner with a poison that will require about 3 bites to kill Bob. Luckily, Bob gets up after taking one bite because he urgently needs to use the restroom. While there, he becomes seriously ill and realizes that Alan must not have been kidding. Alan is nervous and wonders if Bob might be on to him but decides to play it cool. While in the bathroom, Bob calls his PDA for assistance and goes back to the dinner table. The PDA arrives and Bob is able to safely escape Alan's residence.

Now, Bob sues Alan for sickening him with poisoning and endangering his life with poisonous food. Alan tries to argue with Bob that he freely agreed to the situation. But Bob points out that it is ridiculous to mention a contract which promises to accept aggression when the only reason Alan is in court is because Bob is suing him. By definition, Bob is not agreeing to aggression, no matter what he may have signed in the past.

You might argue "but then contracts are meaningless since anyone can claim this defense!" but that's missing the point. It's not really a legal defense, it's a statement that legal argument by definition has as its aim the avoidance of violent conflict. Bob is simply noting that he can do no worse than open conflict and that Alan's asking him to accept the terms of a contract - which Bob did, in fact, sign with proof on video-tape - in a legal dispute is simply absurd. At all points, Bob would prefer open conflict to abiding by the terms of a contract which specifies he must accept his own murder or attempted murder. Asking someone to sign such a contract is pointless and absurd. I believe this applies to slavery, as well. This is a slightly different approach to reaching the same conclusion that Rothbard does in Ethics of Liberty. I'm kind of sketchy on the "inalienability of the will" approach because it has an almost theological tone - unless Rothbard means what I'm saying above, which he could very well be.

Clayton -

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 531
Points 10,985

Now I'm getting a better picture. The poison example is certainly ridiculous. What I still don't get is at what point it becomes ridiculous by proprietarian standards. Imagine a contract signed that states, "By entering on my property you are subject to the customs and manners that I accept and acknowledge, and may face force upon the disobedience of my orders."

The example, until the poison one, has been of a large land owner's ability to make pseudo-laws. Your rejection of it and poison example somewhat negates the idea of exclusive private ownership and contract. I don't see how your statement that signing a contract against one's interest is absurd is really supportive of private ownership. The exact same could be said of labor contracts that state there are harmful chemicals in the factory that may kill you. By that token wouldn't the contract be null?

For the record, I am not trying to support some sort of unlimited kingdom approach to property. I'm just digging.

Page 1 of 3 (95 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS