Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

President Obama, Democrats, and the Debt

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 533
Points 8,445
Phaedros Posted: Mon, Jul 25 2011 8:51 PM

What are everyone's thoughts on this whole thing? To me, it is a disgusting farce. A macabre sideshow with no real substance in the main debate. The President, to me, is a snake really. He is all rhetoric and talk. All he has are cliches and bad facts. What is the deal with this idiocy? Reid and Pelosi bring out this crap about oil companies and their record profits when, from what I've seen, oil companies' profits are among the lowest of major industries. Then, they talk about more and more taxes always. Not to mention Democrats in general. They are so incredibly smug and pretentious it's astounding. They talk about how all Republicans and "right-wingers" are purely ideologically driven, when for example, they will support anything labor unions do, even violence. If that's not ideological commitment I don't know what is. Then, they say that not raising the debt limit will result in economic disaster as if the government comprises the entire economy. I frankly don't think the economy will collapse because it does not depend on the United States Federal Government's existence in order to prosper and function.

Tumblr The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants. ~Albert Camus
  • | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 7
Points 65
ADRIAN C replied on Mon, Jul 25 2011 9:04 PM

I'm pretty sure their is going to be a deal reached. Yeah he is a joke, just like the republicans, they have rasied it how many times?

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2011/04/14/158424/republican-leaders-debt-limit-hypocrisy/

The last thing these republicans want to be is fiscally conservetive.

Oh and i'm pretty sure their would be a massive recession if the government were to actually live within its means, after all how else are we to get rid of this malinvestment caused by the government. But in the long run we would have a stronger economy if the government got massivly cut down.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 194
Points 4,315
Mike replied on Mon, Jul 25 2011 9:53 PM

unfortunately no one is talking about "massively cutting government" that is just the propaganda. the budget has been almost doubled in 2 years - there are plenty of places to cut that no one would even miss - but the hyperbole is about beating the elderly and killing kids...

the demorats are saying; we need to use our visa card to pay off our master card because we need more debt to get us out of debt. The whole political system is disgraceful. I wish more people would learn that non of these bastards give a crap about mr and ms sheep

Be responsible, ease suffering; spay or neuter your pets.

We must get them to understand that government solutions are the problem!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 531
Points 10,985

Meh,

The concerns of Ceasar are not concerns of mine.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 162
Points 2,455
Marky Mark replied on Mon, Jul 25 2011 11:27 PM

you mean, Nero?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,113
Points 60,515
Esuric replied on Tue, Jul 26 2011 12:32 AM

Their whole notion of "fairness" is actually quite disturbing and basically sums up their whole deranged philosophy. In a nation where the top 1% income earners account for around 30% of the nations total federal tax revenue, and the top 10% (those earning more than $110,000 a year) account for 70%, it's simply absurd to suggest that forcing this segment of the population to carry an even higher tax burden is the "fair" solution to our fiscal problems (the bottom 50%, by the way, only accounts for 3% of total federal tax revenue). Never mind the fact that the government expropriates their income in order to perpetuate various social programs which have proven to be entirely inefficient and destructive in every possible way, and which yield periodic fiscal catastrophes.

The only way that someone can truly believe this garbage is if they view wealth accumulation as inherently unjust/exploitative, i.e., if they have absolutely no understanding of basic economics. But of course politics is inherently absurd, and it's simply best to ignore the political circus altogether and focus your attention towards more productive endeavors.

"If we wish to preserve a free society, it is essential that we recognize that the desirability of a particular object is not sufficient justification for the use of coercion."

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 162
Points 2,455
Marky Mark replied on Tue, Jul 26 2011 12:36 AM

most people seem to be idiots.  willing idiots.

One of my friends told me that it is not worth fighting for because "there are always wars somewhere"  there is nothing more pussy than that.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Tue, Jul 26 2011 12:59 AM

Phaedros:
What are everyone's thoughts on this whole thing?

I think Schiff and Cato sum it up pretty well.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 162
Points 2,455

I almost hope that we end up looking like Africa, just so these people get the picture.

If we cut military spending by 40 or 50 percent we wouldn't have to touch the precious welfare schemes for another decade or more.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 533
Points 8,445
Phaedros replied on Tue, Jul 26 2011 1:41 AM

Thanks JJ. That's exactly what I thought as well, that increasing the debt ceiling obviously makes it more difficult to make the payments as time goes on. This is literally 1984 we're living in. There's no other way to describe it.

Tumblr The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants. ~Albert Camus
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 550
Points 8,575

I'm ignoring as much of the theatrics as I can. I've even run into some hilarious, depressing echo chambers, with Democrats tossing plain falsehoods back and forth, and have so far restrained myself from setting a few things straight. (not to say the same doesn't happen in right-leaning communities; I just don't visit any)

"People kill each other for prophetic certainties, hardly for falsifiable hypotheses." - Peter Berger
Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS