Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Incitement of teenagers

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 850
Points 27,940
Eugene Posted: Sun, Jul 31 2011 2:25 PM

Let's assume the following scenario. A charismatic neo-Nazi takes teenagers of 15-17 years that are known to be violent and preaches them about hatred and about how Jews and blacks should be killed. One of the teenagers kills a Jewish girl. Do you think the neo-Nazi should be convincted of muder?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Sun, Jul 31 2011 2:32 PM

The neo-Nazi didn't actually kill the Jewish girl, now did he? At most, I think he could be liable as an accessory to murder.

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Sun, Jul 31 2011 2:36 PM

Eugene,

You've already started this thread twice:

http://mises.org/Community/forums/t/25524.aspx

http://mises.org/Community/forums/t/25539.aspx

In both threads you've made one post besides the opening one.

Have you gotten anywhere? Have you developed your theory? Why don't you write about your point of view instead of repeating the question to others?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 850
Points 27,940
Eugene replied on Sun, Jul 31 2011 2:47 PM

I learn with every thread. These things all fall into grey areas, and that's why I ask for your help.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 162
Points 2,455

Why don't you get a book on the US legal system?  We went over this in the second or thrid week of a 300 level civil rights/liberties class.

There are limits to freedom of speech

Fighting words

Clear and present danger

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 554
Points 9,130

This depends on several factors:

A: Does the charismatic Neo-Nazi (let's call him David Duke for the sake of brevity and familiarity) know that these teenagers are highly prone to violence and will act on his words? This degree of knowledge will at the very least make a significant difference in sentencing, if not clear Duke of the charges altogether.

B: Under US law, only direct, imminent incitement to public disorder is legally prosecutable, so it would depend on how literally he intended the students to take his "kill" statements.

I'd guess that he'd probably either be acquitted if he got a good lawyer, or charged as an accessory in a "hate" crime if he didn't.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 850
Points 27,940
Eugene replied on Mon, Aug 1 2011 1:20 AM

The question is not what the current situation is, but what do you think the situation should be in a libertarian society.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 312
Points 4,325

I think we should create totalitarian society to catch those dirty incitementers.

-- --- English I not so well sorry I will. I'm not native speaker.
  • | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS