Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

*** August 2011 low content thread ***

rated by 0 users
This post has 244 Replies | 11 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 102
Points 1,830

Wheylous:

Are you serious?

... yes? *meep*

Please explain.

Please read Kinsella's Against Intellectual Property, available for free on this website. It is 50 pages long and address your sloppy argument.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Sat, Aug 6 2011 3:50 PM

Joe Rogan on the 'level playing field' versus competing and capitalism

warning: foul language

Not Ranked
Posts 72
Points 1,490
Loppu replied on Sat, Aug 6 2011 5:14 PM

Ok so what do you think about this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWSf8SCcxl8&feature=feedu

If I recall correctly is a former libertarian. Not sure though...

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Sat, Aug 6 2011 7:28 PM

That's actually a very good video for the subject and is one of the first videos really promoting moderatism that I've ever seen which I would really consider quality. It focused on overhead which is a very important issue often overlooked by libertarians/conservatives, as well as risk. Both not given enough attention around here.

Flaws

1. Correlation equals not causation; every nation is different in its peculiar circumstances/ failures successes

2. Unions did not make the American dream, wages rise with or without unions as companies seek to compete and hire new labor

3. Welfare is not an efficient system, I don't that he stressed the internal working inefficiencies it has (makes people unskilled and resilient to work as well as breeding bureaucracy) but also as I recall sieben did some research and discovered that half of all welfare spending was literally wasted in overhead

4. He assumes that large charities or something of the like would not emerge in an anarcho capitallist society in order to rectify all of the problems that these people believe will arise. What do you think the majority of these people would do if anarchy was going to come about tommorow? My answer: form collective organizations to provide for collective and social goods, these would be far better because they'd be infinitely more competitive

5. Risk can be subdued somewhat by collective organizations such as corporations, otherwise this was a good point although certainly in the past PLEANTY of enterprising individuals have been more than willing to risk and gain on the market through their own business.

6. He assumes that government investment in ANYTHING can be efficient, the education system is botched even though the government has been spending a huge deal more money on it in past decades. If government spending was enough to bring about good quality then I would be more than happy to support government schools because education is so important, but it doesn't, it stifles. The same is true with science and unwise investment

7. He doesn't consider what I consider the most important aspect of the fully free market society which is its full adaptability and the ability of people to start new organizations/search for new solutions without the veil of government and democracy solving the problem. People can't fix what is not known to be a problem, thusly government hides the problems with a fake solution.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Sat, Aug 6 2011 11:50 PM

A million dead in Iraq? Some food for thought for Centinel and others still duped by the cult of bloodlust known as "neoconservatism."

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Was this one posted yet?

Joe Rogan: The American War Machine

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Yeah that's one of the best I've seen.

Peter Schiff on political philosophy/libertarianism on Max Kaiser (starts 11:18, but of course it's good stuff before that)

"inherently [government] is a force to do evil"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Not usually one for posting normal news vlogs like this, but this was all good stories...

The Fake Civility Project with (the unattractive) Froma Harrop

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Gillespie made me proud.  You gotta love the way he actually knows what he's talking about and has no problem taking over the conversation to interject something of substance between the talking points of the know-nothing vampire on the left and the moron committee chair in the middle.  There's no way I could watch this show without someone like him in there to be the voice of sanity.

Reason.tv Nick Gillespie on Real Time with Bill Maher

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Mon, Aug 8 2011 9:18 AM

Are you 'WideWorldOfWisdom' on YT?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,745

Progress :P :

"As Congress left for its August recess, the president had signed only 27 bills into law since this session opened in January. Some, such as the just-passed bill to raise the debt ceiling and a bill to extend Patriot Act provisions, were important. But most were more routine — five bills to name post offices or federal buildings, three to name members of the Smithsonian board of regents and four to keep federal airport operations running."

15 "useful" bills passed. Could have been less, but ya take what's given.

EDIT: Crap, that's not the voluntaryist motto, is it?

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 152
Points 2,560
John Q replied on Mon, Aug 8 2011 11:26 AM

I love it! http://en.speechable.com/view?p=3rr30j43

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it" - Thomas Jefferson.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Mon, Aug 8 2011 3:18 PM

LOL - this is a live graph... I was trying to keep a record of the crash yesterday. I'll see if I can find a static JPG of it.

Not Ranked
Posts 75
Points 1,255

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,745

^ Beautiful :D

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Department of Innovation gets stuck

Department of Innovation logo
Department of Innovation logo by Jamie Simon

“The Department of Innovation is about people and ideas that likely will shape the way we will live one day.”
— RANDY RIELAND, SMITHSONIAN

Look at the three cogs. In that arrangement, they can’t turn.

Five star innovation.

Via Michelle Malkin.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,249
Points 70,775

second attempt, with thanks to JJ

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,149
Points 23,875

Lots of good stuff in this episode. See what's going on in the libertarian capital of the world.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 659
Points 13,305
Gero replied on Tue, Aug 9 2011 5:57 PM

OUR TIME Documentary Trailer

Quick comment on documentary: No. This is the same as past generations: emotion, ignorance, and collectivism. Obama is more of the same and so is this generation.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Tue, Aug 9 2011 6:20 PM

Why open-source software matters: software in implantable defibrillators

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Hadn't heard this metaphor used before.  Nice quick rebuttal to one of the common Leftist claims:

Dan Mitchell of Cato Institute on CSPAN "Is Capitalism to Blame?"

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,249
Points 70,775

Why is the West bankrupt?

He totally gets it right.  I was amazed to see an article I would be proud to have written myself published at Reuters.

Most of the comments are the usual idiocy, but Independent007 writes a long, relevant, essay that claims it is free govt gifts to the rich that has bankrupted us, along with the wars, not the free govt gifts to the poor as the author claims.

I think they are both right, that either cause is more than enough to bankrupt the West.

My humble blog

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

This is a nice segment from a 3-part documentary called "The Commanding Heights: The Battle for the World Economy", produced in 2002 by PBS and based on the book by the same name.  You can actually view the full program at the main website.  I've only viewed the 1st episode so far, but it's quite good, especially considering what one might expect from PBS.  First of all, the focus (at least in this first episode) is on the great divide between Hayek and Keynes, which, not only did I learn a few things about their relationship (did you know they shared air warden duty on the roof of King's College during the war?) but the fact that it gives equal attention to Hayek is great in itself.  I would also say the treatment of the Austrian School and free market thinking in general is pretty fair...even more so than NPR's treatment of PorcFest, which many had said was also fair.  Of course there are a few gaffs, such as taking certain statist ideas and myths for granted in the way a couple of things are worded, but it's largely quite neutral.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,365
Points 30,945

John James:
The Fake Civility Project with (the unattractive) Froma Harrop

I can't believe I am responding to a very minor point, but while the oft-published photo of Ms. Harrop does look bad, there is another photo of her that I saw, and she looks quite normal.

I and my father often say we are not very photogenic people, because of our usually bad photographs. And since we are not the kind of fakers who keep taking multiple takes from multiple angles until the photo looks right, most of our photos make us look very strange and disproportionate - just as Ms. Harrop's does.  Only by luck, on some rare occasions is a photo taken that makes us look like normal human beings.

It's a thing I learnt from the Oblivion face generator that the straight frontal view of the face and the two side views of the face reveal entirely different worlds, and a face that looks okay from one of those angles might look alien from another.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Video: BitTorrent Creator Speaks to Stanford Engineering Students

"Since its debut in 2001, BitTorrent has become one of the hottest and most controversial Internet discussion topics.

But while everyone from copyright holders and ISPs to governments and their citizens get hot under the collar over this influential protocol, BitTorrent creator Bram Cohen manages to keep his feet firmly on the ground.

In this recent video Bram gives an interesting speech and takes questions from technology and engineering-focused undergraduates at Stanford School of Engineering."

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Everything Is A Remix...

E-Trade Baby Loses Everything

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Obama, you done went off and got the Felonious Munk upset. That's a mistake.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Wed, Aug 10 2011 11:33 AM

How Can Education Be Changed? (with John Holt)

Latest upload to my channel.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Has anyone else ever seen video of Keynes? (h/t Bob Murphy)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Kind of crazy...1.5 million views in a month...

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

A really slick one...

Who favors more freedom, liberals or conservatives?

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,249
Points 70,775

Yes, it's full of ignorance, but it made me laugh.

My humble blog

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

I noticed this one after following that link.  The headlines tend to be the best part.

Scientists Trace Heat Wave To Massive Star At Center Of Solar System

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,249
Points 70,775

shockingly good speech by British top money honcho:

http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/statement_chx_110811.htm

plenty of mistakes, but plenty of good stuff.

My humble blog

Not Ranked
Posts 75
Points 1,255

Awesome interview with Marc Faber....

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,249
Points 70,775

Awesome interview with Marc Faber....

Indeed. Love his accent, too.

My humble blog

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Thu, Aug 11 2011 12:06 PM

Marc Faber is the Don Corleone of investing... he's an OG in my book.

Page 2 of 7 (245 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS