Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Comparing True Money Supply and Total Government Revenue

Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Male
58 Posts
Points 2,060
tcostel posted on Fri, Aug 5 2011 6:34 PM

I was trying to find out how much money the government took from the economy via taxation, so I decided to compare revenues with different statistisc. I used GDP, but I felt that would not be an accurate measure of taxation because GDP IMO is not the best measure.

So then I thought about comparing the money supply to tax revenues. I was surprised at the results. In the past 30 years, numerous years the tax revenue exceeds the True Money Supply. What is the explanation for this? To me it seems impossible. Does it have to do with debt?

All Replies

Top 200 Contributor
Male
432 Posts
Points 6,740

I believe this is due to Fractional Reserve Banking.  You are probably looking at the "dollar supply" (currency & coins), M0, when the "money supply" is many multiples of this.

Most "money" is never converted into physical cash - it's just ledger/spreadsheet entries in various banks.

An idealist is one who, on noticing that roses smell better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup. -H.L. Mencken
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

How are you defining "True Money Supply"?  Is this the "Austrian Money Supply" alternative money aggregate, or is that just a term you're using for M1 or M0?

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Male
58 Posts
Points 2,060

By True Money Supply, I am referring to the Austrian Money Supply, as published here:

http://mises.org/content/nofed/chart.aspx?series=TMS

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS