Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Food Stamps are a "Stimulus"

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 186
Points 4,290
TANSTAAFL Posted: Wed, Aug 17 2011 8:04 AM

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2011/08/16/obama_ag_secretary_vilsack_food_stamps_are_a_stimulus.html

"Every dollar of SNAP benefits generates $1.84 in the economy in terms of economic activity. If people are able to buy a little more in the grocery store, someone has to stock it, package it, shelve it, process it, ship it. All of those are jobs. It's the most direct stimulus you can get in the economy during these tough times."

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Wed, Aug 17 2011 8:21 AM

Spending other people's money.. Really stimulating!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 494
Points 6,980

Broken window fallacy.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,360
Points 43,785
z1235 replied on Wed, Aug 17 2011 8:34 AM

TANSTAAFL:
"Every dollar of SNAP benefits generates $1.84 in the economy in terms of economic activity..." 

Then let's give everyone a $100k food-stamp a year, and watch everyone "generate" $184k/yr for a "profit" of $84k/year. Not a bad salary for a year of munching your brains out. Who do I vote for to get this solution through?

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Wed, Aug 17 2011 10:50 AM

K.C. Farmer:
Broken window fallacy.

You beat me to it! :P

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 75
Points 1,255

Well, my mom uses food stamps. We're stimulating the economy I guess. 

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Wed, Aug 17 2011 11:29 AM

I agree that wealth destroyed is not wealth created, but the refutation of the broken window fallacy relies on the idea that the shop owner with the broken window would use the money to help the economy. Instead, he could be hoarding money. I guess this goes to prove that economics really is not about Keynes's equations but more of praxeology.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 186
Points 4,290
TANSTAAFL replied on Wed, Aug 17 2011 11:32 AM

How can you say that "hoarding" money is not helping an economy?

How is "hoarding" different than saving?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Wed, Aug 17 2011 11:40 AM

Point well taken.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 186
Points 4,290
TANSTAAFL replied on Wed, Aug 17 2011 12:42 PM

I started this thread because someone linked the article on another board I frequent.

After going through the whole broken window fallacy and watching it go right over his head we have reached an impass.

His new line is that someone needs to prove that the $1 given out in foodstamps does not generate $1.84 in economic activity.

I have already pointed out that "economic activity" is meaningless and that $1.84 doesn't tell us much of anything at all.

Any other ideas how to try and "prove" it wrong?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 444
Points 6,230

Wheylous:
but the refutation of the broken window fallacy relies on the idea that the shop owner with the broken window would use the money to help the economy. Instead, he could be hoarding money.

This "hoarding" you speak of is just savings, and savings is deferred consumption.  They are holding the money to consume a good at some future date (perhaps very far in the future).  You don't just hold money for no reason at all.

Also spending money is not what drives the economy, especially when having your money forcibly taken from you and given to others.

TANSTAAFL:
His new line is that someone needs to prove that the $1 given out in foodstamps does not generate $1.84 in economic activity.

I have already pointed out that "economic activity" is meaningless and that $1.84 doesn't tell us much of anything at all.

Well if it went over his head, I doubt he is able to get a grasp of abstract concepts.  The whole reason subsidies make everyone worse off is because of Oppurtunity Cost.  This is what Bastiat/Hazlitt speak of with the "unseen."  All they look at is the seen, the groceries being bought with food stamps and the effects from that (stocking shelves, transporting food, etc.), but what are all the goods foregone because the person was taxed to pay for food stamps (the USB Stick/TV/Shoe/Shirt/DVD/Pencil/Box) that could have been bought.

Here is an article by Frank Shostak called "The Myth of The Magic Multiplier" which may help you:

http://mises.org/daily/1889

My long term project to get every PDF into EPUB: Mises Books

EPUB requests/News: (Semi-)Official Mises.org EPUB Release Topic

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Wed, Aug 17 2011 1:44 PM

Wheylous:
I agree that wealth destroyed is not wealth created, but the refutation of the broken window fallacy relies on the idea that the shop owner with the broken window would use the money to help the economy. Instead, he could be hoarding money. I guess this goes to prove that economics really is not about Keynes's equations but more of praxeology.

Along with what TANSTAAFL said, what does "help the economy" mean to you? I'd say that, if the shop owner preferred "hoarding" the money over spending it, he was helping the economy in the sense of satisfying his most urgent desire vis-a-vis the money.

Of course, when most people these days refer to "helping the economy", they really mean helping them get what they want. This implies that they believe they have a higher claim on the shop owner's money than he himself does.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Wed, Aug 17 2011 1:47 PM

TANSTAAFL:
I started this thread because someone linked the article on another board I frequent.

After going through the whole broken window fallacy and watching it go right over his head we have reached an impass.

Any other ideas how to try and "prove" it wrong?

His new line is a pure argument from ignorance. He's implicitly arguing that, if no one can prove that $1 given out in foodstamps does not generate $1.84 in economic activity, then the converse must be true.

Voluntaryism Forum

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS