Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Criminality of infection?

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 901
Points 15,900
wombatron Posted: Fri, May 30 2008 12:53 PM

Something that I've been thinking about:

Is it a crime (ie; a violation of the NAP) to infect someone with a disease?  How about intentionally infecting someone?  Since, as far as I can tell, intent does not matter in a libertarian legal system, is this an exception or what?

Market anarchist, Linux geek, aspiring Perl hacker, and student of the neo-Aristotelians, the classical individualist anarchists, and the Austrian school.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,255
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Block has referred to it before as a form of aggression, in his videos.

-Jon

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 21
Points 405
Staff
SystemAdministrator
Lord Jeff replied on Fri, May 30 2008 1:23 PM

wombatron:

Is it a crime (ie; a violation of the NAP) to infect someone with a disease?  How about intentionally infecting someone?  Since, as far as I can tell, intent does not matter in a libertarian legal system, is this an exception or what?

You seem to be referring to bioterrorism. Is that a crime? The answer seems amply evident to me. Perhaps you could elaborate if my conclusion does not appropriately touch on your question.

Democracy does little else but depose one tyrant and install a nation's worth in his place.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,491
Points 43,390
scineram replied on Fri, May 30 2008 1:55 PM
Was there a legal system where intent mattered not?
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 295
Points 4,565

scineram:
Was there a legal system where intent mattered not?

Why would that matter?

The state won't go away once enough people want the state to go away, the state will effectively disappear once enough people no longer care that much whether it stays or goes. We don't need a revolution, we need millions of them.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,491
Points 43,390
scineram replied on Fri, May 30 2008 3:43 PM
Because the assumption of the irrelevancy of intent should not go unchallenged.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 901
Points 15,900
wombatron replied on Fri, May 30 2008 4:54 PM

Lord Jeff:

You seem to be referring to bioterrorism. Is that a crime? The answer seems amply evident to me. Perhaps you could elaborate if my conclusion does not appropriately touch on your question.

Not nessicarily.  The situation I had in mind is the unintentional (but still damaging) spread of disease vs. the intentional spread.  Since I posted, I think I've solved it myself Smile.  All of the methods of disease spread that I could think of (stabbing someone with a needle, coughing/vomiting/what-have-you on someone or their property, etc.) are themselves violations of the non-aggression principle.

Market anarchist, Linux geek, aspiring Perl hacker, and student of the neo-Aristotelians, the classical individualist anarchists, and the Austrian school.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 901
Points 15,900
wombatron replied on Fri, May 30 2008 4:58 PM

scineram:

But why does intent matter?  If I accidentally crash my car into your house, you have just as good a claim against me as if I had done it intentionally.  Does the nature of various crimes/torts change this?  (honest questions, no hostility intended)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,879
Points 29,735
Bostwick replied on Fri, May 30 2008 5:12 PM

wombatron:

If someone intentionally infects you they are employing a means to achieve an end, so it would be no different than physical battery.

Peace

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,879
Points 29,735
Bostwick replied on Fri, May 30 2008 5:20 PM

wombatron:

scineram:

But why does intent matter?  If I accidentally crash my car into your house, you have just as good a claim against me as if I had done it intentionally.  Does the nature of various crimes/torts change this?  (honest questions, no hostility intended)

Steven Kinsella makes a distinction between action and non-action.

http://www.stephankinsella.com/archive/2006_07_01_archive.php#115402771731407116#115402771731407116

Peace

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 295
Points 4,565

scineram:

My question was not about the intent part, but about the legal system part.  I'm asking, why does the content of a legal system matter to the question?

The state won't go away once enough people want the state to go away, the state will effectively disappear once enough people no longer care that much whether it stays or goes. We don't need a revolution, we need millions of them.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS