Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Thoughts on Microsoft as a monopoly.

This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Posts 69
Points 1,320
jimaustri123 Posted: Thu, Sep 15 2011 4:32 AM

This is a topic that goes back at least ten years but I have never really reached a conclusion on this. My trade is software and my interest in this area has been raised since I discovered some of the online resources expounding on the Austrian perspective.

If there are no barriers to entry into the software industry and Microsoft is not exempt from any trade restrictions, is there any valid case to be made against Microsoft on the grounds that it is a either a monopoly or the recipient of government privilege/protection?

Perhaps someone has done some research on this and has some Austrian/libertarian insights to share.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

I think this is exactly what you're looking for:

http://fare.tunes.org/liberty/microsoft_monopoly.html

And here's some other views as well:

Microsoft in Wonderland

Microsoft Copyrights –> Patent Dominance

Break Up Microsoft?

The Message of the Microsoft Case

For more on Microsoft, try using the search function on the mises.org homepage.  And of course, for IP and monopoly info, see:

Against Intellectual Monopoly

Against Intellectual Property

Antitrust: The Case for Repeal

monopoly

• | Post Points: 45
Not Ranked
Posts 69
Points 1,320

Wow, thanks... that should keep me busy for a while ;-)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,360
Points 43,785
z1235 replied on Thu, Sep 15 2011 7:18 AM

jimaustri123:

If there are no barriers to entry into the software industry and Microsoft is not exempt from any trade restrictions, is there any valid case to be made against Microsoft on the grounds that it is a either a monopoly or the recipient of government privilege/protection?

There are two types of "monopolies" bandied up into a single bundle here. If a libertarian doesn't consider information as property (i.e. they are anti-IP) then their case against Microsoft is a case against all producers of information (code) which claim ownership to their product ("monopoly" of type 1) regardless of their market share, and has nothing to do with the fact that Microsoft's product in particular is most prevalent on the market ("monopoly" of type 2). Libertarian IP antagonists consider the "monopoly type 1" case to be valid while the "monopoly type 2" not valid. Libertarian IP proponents consider neither monopoly case to be valid. For them, the government's "monopoly" subsidy (protection) extended to information property owners is no different to the one extended to physical property owners. 

Pro-IP libertarians argue with anti-IP ibertarians about "monopoly T1" which concerns all information property producers, and are in agreement about (non existent) "monopoly T2". It seems, a libertarian would not be singling out Microsoft in a "monopoly" accusation, regardless of the IP group (anti/pro) to which he belongs.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Thu, Sep 15 2011 8:16 AM

Bill Gates an honest entrepreneur? (critique of The Morality of Profit)

Monopoly and Competition (by Murray N. Rothbard)

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS