Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Calling yourself progressive is arrogant.

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 470
tckb909 Posted: Thu, Sep 15 2011 2:51 PM

It's been bugging me and I want to see if anyone agrees. Calling yourself a progressive sort of makes you an arrogant jerk. The reason is, don't most people consider themselves a person that likes progress? So who considers themselves regressive? I think progress is made when liberty wins out...People calling themselves progressives makes it seem like if you oppose them, then you must be agaisnt progress..That is annoying.

Sorry.Looking for a place to rant.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 539
Points 11,275

Yep. It's the same with phrases like pro-choice, pro-life, reform and modernisation. Words that politicians understandibly throw about a lot - I mean, who could be 'anti-life' or 'outdated-isation'?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Thu, Sep 15 2011 6:10 PM

who could be 'anti-life'

The beloved Francois Tremblay

http://francoistremblay.wordpress.com/2011/03/09/arguments-for-anti-natalism-12/

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 44
Points 865
Aiser replied on Thu, Sep 15 2011 9:14 PM

That is how all these anti this pro that none-sense labeling started. The progressive party which started out as the "Bull Moose party"  under Theodore Roosevelt . Where the progressives saw the constitution as an old out dated document that needed to be modernised. Hence annyone whom was opposed was "regressive". Unfortunately the disease of this form of labeling also branched out into other forms. It is the reason why politicians give their bills nice sounding names and as a means to stop criticism. For example the "Affordable Health Care Act (ObamaCare) well if you oppose this then you MUST be against affordable H.C. All the recently introduced Obama "American Jobs Act". The one that aggravates me the most is "21'st century". Where somehow politicians believe they can invest or regulate in a "smartly 21st century way".

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 370
Dean14 replied on Thu, Sep 15 2011 11:00 PM

As Thomas Sowell said: "government is progressive the way a disease is progressive throughout the body".

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 85
rhermida replied on Fri, Sep 16 2011 12:45 AM

It bugs me as well. You can make "progression" towards any number of objectives/endpoints, either positive or negative. Neither progress or conservation is intrinsically good or bad.

I saw that someone quoted Thomas Sowell in this thread. After reading the OP, I am reminded of commentary by Sowell (that I can't find for some reason) where he commented that there is a growing trend of people attributing disagreements about policy to the intentions of the people they disagree with, rather than errors of fact or general analysis.

I used to get really wound up when people did this to me. Now, I just let it roll off my back.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Fri, Sep 16 2011 12:57 AM

The beloved Francois Tremblay

That blog post is braindead in so many ways, it's really hard to put into words.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Not Ranked
Posts 24
Points 785

Well, I don't expect Misesians to understand basic logic... :)

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 470
tckb909 replied on Fri, Sep 16 2011 2:28 AM

They have to label themselves "progressive" because if they just labeled themselves "statist" , it wouldn't sound so appealing. 

I just can't ever see myself going around proudly calling myself a progressive. "I'M A PROGRESSIVE!" Oh how arrogant.

Not the the term "liberal" was good for the statist either. I still think that the real Liberals are Libertarians.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 539
Points 11,275

Crikey! I fear I may have stumbled upon an unexpected area of agreement with the mises.org community. surprise

We should form a bipartisan coalition to tackle newspeak in all it's forms. Onwards and upwards to the giddy heights of political integrity comrades. yes

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Fri, Sep 16 2011 4:47 PM

Well, I don't expect Misesians to understand basic logic... :)

Do you just lurk here or did BP alert you to this tiny reference to you? Perhaps a self-search on Google? :P

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS