Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

*** October 2011 low content thread ***

rated by 0 users
This post has 176 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Tue, Oct 18 2011 7:01 PM

That's probably the best video to come out of the Amazing Atheist.

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Tue, Oct 18 2011 7:10 PM

Good point, Clayton. Is there any evidence that circucision does anything positive?

Unrelated:

Nice video on the effectiveness of car seats (someone else posted it elsewhere but it's worth its own post in here):

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,288
Points 22,350

Some people have foreskins that become unretractable in puberty.  I think it'd be a lot better to be circumcised at birth than as an adult.

The Voluntaryist Reader: http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com/ Libertarian forums that actually work: http://voluntaryism.freeforums.org/index.php
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Tue, Oct 18 2011 8:27 PM

Bachmann: Ahmadinejad is a genocidal maniac.

Careful Bachmann...

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Tue, Oct 18 2011 10:04 PM

Is there any evidence that circucision does anything positive?

Does it really matter? Do you think that millions of years of human evolution got it wrong? If we should be suspicious that Nature screwed up on the penis, shouldn't we be equally skeptical of Nature's judgment w.r.t. clitorises (sp?), breasts, etc.? A better question is whether it does anything negative and it, in fact, does.

There are claims that it helps with hygiene. Circumcision for hygienic reasons is as ridiculous as amputating people's arms to keep their armpits clean. Of course it will get dirty if you don't pull it back and clean it just like your armpits will be nasty if you never lift your arm and soap up underneath.

Non-retracting foreskins are a distinct minority and can be dealt with later, if necessary and desired by the individual. Cutting everyone's foreskin as a preventive measure is absurd.

As many as 90% of Americans underwent circumcision in the 1960's. The circumcision rate has significantly dropped since then, fortunately. But those who are still being circumcised are victims of caveman superstitions that have infused the medical establishment.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Tue, Oct 18 2011 10:09 PM

Remember that evolution is not a destination but a process. We could have said the same thing about evolution 500,000 years ago when we were obviously not as advanced as we are now - and it would be wrong.

That being said, evolution does have a measure of spontaneous order that would likely be butchered by scientist intervention. Messing with humans' evolutionary process through eugenics is as bad as messing with the private market through regulation. Probably worse... That's actually a good comparison :P I think...

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Tue, Oct 18 2011 11:31 PM

From what I understand you have more sexual stimulation with foreskin than without, so, for all of us circumsised...we are missing out.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Tue, Oct 18 2011 11:54 PM

Low Content Recipe

Seitan - AKA Mock Meat, Wheat Meat

1 cup vital wheat gluten
1-2 vegetable bullion cubes
Paprika
Cayenne pepper
Chili powder
Onion powder
Garlic salt
Worcestershire sauce
Sriracha sauce
Tomato paste
...and anything else in your pantry or fridge

Mix one cup of vital wheat gluten with one cup of wet ingredients.  I've experimented with this in different ways, the most basic being one cup wheat gluten to one cup of water, mix, make in a dough, and let sit covered for 5 minutes.  Another way is to add spices to the gluten itself, and add tomato paste, worcestershire sauce, and anything else (like rum).  As long as it's 1:1.

When you make the dough let it sit, it'll become elastically (unlike becoming doughy), and you can take it and rip/cut it into pieces (one cup should give you 15-20 good size pieces).  Now you have your pieces, during this process you will have prepared your broth.

The broth, use a medium sized pot with a good fitting top (make sure very little steam escapes), and boil the water with the vegetable bullion and spices (and rum, if desired).  The wheat gluten will absorb what you put in the water, so the more you add the more taste it will have (when the water becomes dark like a broth, that's the minimum).  I use 4 cups of water in a medium sized pot, a larger wider pan will not work as well as the water is spread too thin across the bottom.

When you have the broth put the pieces in, and let it go from a boil to a simmer (a median between the two).  You'll notice after 10-15 minutes that the pieces have become huge!  I mean huge!  Open the lid, and stir them, they'll go down and shape.  You'll notice they'll get larger when in the pot from the heat, but they (sadly) don't stay that large.  Now, you'll let them sit in this simmering broth for at least an hour.  I do 1 hour to 1:30.

Now, take the pieces out, try them, see how they taste.  Done yet?  Nope!

Get flour ready (add spices to this as well), and bread them, and fry them up.

Now you have fried seitan.  If you make it right, it's delicious  It seems like a task, but it's really not.  Preparation should take no longer 15 minutes (as far as making the seitan dough and preparing broth, the rest is just simmering and stirring 10-15 minutes (usually drinking during this), and then the frying.

I've been experimenting with this (adding cinnamon to the wheat gluten and flour to fry them in, adding rum, figuring out the spice ratios, etc.)  This is sort of a vegan vice, when done right with the right sauces and spices it's a delicious master piece, and I've felt fooled by better cooks than I when eating it (the texture and taste was too good to be true).

Next time I'll get the directions for nutrional yeast "cheese" sauce (a sauce made from nutritional yeast, flour, rice milk, and spices), but it's of my girlfriend's making, so I don't know the correct proportions, but nutritional yeast suace with seitan is, essentially, the shit.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Wed, Oct 19 2011 8:35 AM

We love you Clayton

Messing with ya... :P

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Wed, Oct 19 2011 2:32 PM

@Wheylous: LOL, nice!

Clayton -

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon replied on Wed, Oct 19 2011 3:03 PM

I find it interesting how when people inspect 9/11 theories the burden of proof is always on the person trying to prove their theory but not on the governments story. So when someone asserting a claim about the incident can't hold up to scientific scrutiny that somehow means that the government did not have knowledge of/ did not conduct the event.

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Wed, Oct 19 2011 5:49 PM

I lol'd!

Also, I completely agree with Clayton re: circumcision male genital mutilation. Under no circumstances would I agree to have any son of mine circumcised mutilated in that way as an infant or a child.

Edit: Ironically enough, the Sun is supposed to start occupying some of the 1%... in about 5 billion years.

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Wanted to add this here too:

Study Confirms Ron Paul Blacked Out by Media

Also, I just loved this line from here:

"Since May, he’s been the subject of just 2 percent of campaign stories, says Pew – lagging just behind the powerhouse that is the Rick Santorum campaign."

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Wed, Oct 19 2011 6:47 PM

His two new ads are quite amazing:

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Wed, Oct 19 2011 6:54 PM

I searched for "block this out" on Google and saw nothing about Ron Paul's moneybomb on the first page. Coincidence? I think not... LOL DISREGARD THAT-

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

I think that may have something to do with the fact that the theme is "black this out".  Because I get almost 2 million hits with that, even with the containing quotes included.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Wed, Oct 19 2011 7:43 PM

Yes, "black", not "block"

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 659
Points 13,305
Gero replied on Wed, Oct 19 2011 8:40 PM

Ron Paul in the Wall Street Journal: Blame the Fed for the Financial Crisis

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Lee Doren explains our tax code:

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Thu, Oct 20 2011 5:22 PM

John James:
I think that may have something to do with the fact that the theme is "black this out".  Because I get almost 2 million hits with that, even with the containing quotes included.

LOL, woops!

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Thu, Oct 20 2011 5:23 PM

This is how the State operates:

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Neocon-Fox News darling Sarah Palin praises Ron Paul to Sean Hannity.  (Perhaps this woman can be useful for something after all.)

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Fri, Oct 21 2011 1:24 PM

"50 percent of workers made less than $26,364 last year"

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1011/66547.html

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

So someone created one of those meta-animations that you can direct and add audio to, and made it a GOP 2012 debate.  There are already dozens of these up.  I've watched a few, and they're mostly crap, but at least this one tries.  It's still wrong, but at least it's on the right track.  (One thing I did notice is they all do seem to get Bachmann right on.)

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Fri, Oct 21 2011 7:58 PM

Can you explain how it's wrong?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Fri, Oct 21 2011 9:22 PM

@Wheylous: It repeats the "Money as Debt" fallacy, that the Federal Reserve prints more money because it has to. When coupled with the Jekyll Island story, this seems very insidious and conspiratorial but remember that the American public is extremely allergic to believing conspiracies, even true ones. When a "grown-up" such as an economics professor or a finance professional hears someone repeat the Money-as-Debt fallacy, they will quickly correct the error: "Well, sometimes the government needs the Federal Reserve to print money and, when it does, it will order the Fed to print the money so, yes, the Fed has to print money sometimes. However, this is no conspiracy and the government really is in charge of the Federal Reserve just like it is in charge of the Pentagon or anything else in the country. This is all just a lot of hysteria."

Convincing people to believe the right things for the wrong reasons can be an effective method of preventing them from believing the right things for the right reasons. When those wrong reasons are eventually debunked, their belief in the right things will also be "corrected." There can be no doubt that the central bankers would prefer people to believe that central banking is bad because "all money is debt!" than because "central bankers are enriching themselves and their cronies at the public's expense simply by printing money."

Clayton -

Not Ranked
Posts 75
Points 1,255

Great advice here.....

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sat, Oct 22 2011 10:01 AM

I loved it

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Sat, Oct 22 2011 6:31 PM

We've gone from this:

To this:

Anyone who doesn't believe there is an active, adaptive and insidious infiltration of culture by the State apparatus has their eyes firmly shut and their head firmly buried in the sand... or somewhere.

Clayton -

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Sat, Oct 22 2011 7:10 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws3yToTP-GM&feature=feedu

This video is absolutely excellent, probably the best little introduction to free markets in our day that I have ever seen.

Also, I'm sure there's some easy and obvious search that woul bring me to this that currently escapes me, but how to I directly post youtube videos?

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sat, Oct 22 2011 8:26 PM

I found this funny:

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sat, Oct 22 2011 8:28 PM

Neodoxy:

[ view : youtube_link ]

Without the spaces

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 208
Points 3,410

Nicholas Wapshott on BookTV right now. He seems to be a naive Keynesian. He's talking about his book, Keynes Hayek..."

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sat, Oct 22 2011 10:36 PM

If this is real, then I'm quite amazed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89vian_Conference

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Sat, Oct 22 2011 11:35 PM

Clayton:

We've gone from this:

To this:

I want to take you on the journey I went with this.

1) When I first read that intro sentence and noticed the freeze frame on each video, I figured it was a commentary on how music has degenerated, like "oh the good ol' days when music was pure and kind, and now we've got 'fuck this' and 'my bitch that'"

2) Then I played the first video and he started talking about how "policemen are my friends" and how great government is, and I changed my mind and figured the opposite...that it was going to be an illustration as to how views have gotten better, and more critical toward the state (I could easily imagine a hard rock/rap video speaking out against government, and with the freezeframe of the soldier and the song called "warrior", I figured it would be denouncing the wars and talking about all the lives lost and destroyed.)

3) Then the guitar man started getting deeper and deeper...to a point of ridiculousness of "our government is always right and never wrong, our leaders are the finest men and that's why we elect them again and again"...and the crowd started laughing.  I thought it might actually be satire, and not-so-subtle commentary on the crap kids are taught in school...and the second video would be something even more overt...showing that people have gotten more aware and more willing to speak out in anger, as opposed to making cute tongue-in-cheek jokes while for the most part buying into it anyway.

4)  By the end of the guitar song when he said "war isn't so bad" and "someday I might get my chance", I honestly couldn't figure out if it was supposed to be satire anymore or if the indoctrination was so bad that it was supposed to be a serious song...cuz people didn't laugh at that one.  So now I went back to thinking it might be #2 again.

5) Then I started the second video and instantly realized it was a promo for the National Guard.  The kind of stuff talked about here.  That's when I figured it was showing how much worse it's gotten, how much more sophisticated the propaganda is now.

6) Then I read the comment below the videos and realized it was all supposed to illustrate that the indoctrination has always been there, and is still there.

Definitely sad...but to be fair, that was a paid promo.  It's not like Kid Rock took it upon himself to write up some pro-war song, and do a whole propaganda music video...he was commissioned for the whole gig and just collected a paycheck.  ...Not to say that some "artists" don't write pro-military songs, I'm just saying that's not a completely fair example.

As a sidebar...you just gotta love the scene with the soccer ball where the little Indian children (of course they couldn't use actual Arab kids, as they would be too "ethnic" looking) had their jovial encounter with the friendly neighborhood military convoy.  The Humvee not only stops for the kid to run out of the way, but they actually sit there while a soldier gets out and kicks the ball back.  And the frightened children smile.  Hell even in the mainstream film Jarhead they ran the kid over knowing that it could easily be an RPG ambush.  But if you want a real take go view TheYNC or LiveLeak.  We should be showing that shit on network TV.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Napolitano on The Free Market

Interesting explanation:

"A free market is a system of exchange of goods and services that is free from government intervention or interference. [...] We don't have free markets in the United States, but we do have capitalism.  The free market and capitalism are not the same thing.  Capitalism is the private ownership of the means of production, and the use of such to turn a profit.  A free market operates under capitalist principles, but capitalism does not necessarily require, or as we know even prefer a truly free market.  There are all kinds of capitalism that don't rely on a free market."

Not entirely the way I would put it, but not bad.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Sun, Oct 23 2011 1:46 AM

@JJ: Awesome, I was hoping it'd have that effect. Note that I think Tom Paxton's What I Learned in School Today (covered here by Pete Seeger) is definitely a "fuck you" to the Establishment, pure and simple. I can cut Kid Rock personally some slack on the fact that it's a promo but this is actually pretty much what qualifies as "cool" music on MTV, consider Drowning Pool's Soldiers which was not written as a recruitment promo. They did get paid by the USO but they voluntarily signed up to do the gig and write the song.

But there is also something more to it, and that is that the nature of popular music itself is, in fact, changing. Folk music originates in people just getting together to dance, drink, eat, sing and have fun at shindigs or on their front porch with family and friends. The Top 40 station originates in something else, not this. Folk music represents a purely voluntary culture, it is people just coming together for the hell of it. I don't think modern tastes in popular in music are unaffected by the State.

For example, angst is one of the staples of "modern" popular music. Where is the angst in Paxton's song? He's verbally flaying the Establishment, but there's no angst. The song's tone is more like "it's totally fucking retarded that we're telling our kids this crap and y'all teachers are a bunch of mindless zombie parrots, so yeehaw!" He doesn't go into self-doubt and nihilistic rage about it, he has the calm confidence that stupidity is a self-curing disease and in the meantime, he's going to have a kick-ass time singing and having fun!

I've been listening more closely to the Top-40 station for the last couple years and there are tons of cues from the Establishment in those lyrics. I feel like I'm doing surveillance on the Power Elites when I analyze the lyrics. Take Katy Perry's "Last Friday Night" for example... in the first few seconds of the song she says, "Pictures of last night ended up online, I'm screwed. Oh well." I think that's a very significant line... the Establishment is constantly baiting the less-civilized, bourgeois children of the upwardly-mobile middle class to compromise and, hence, marginalize themselves. Or, take that song "Fly, like a G6"... what the hell is a G6? I had to look it up online, I thought it would be some kind of foreign import... turns out it's a Pontiac of all things! And they're singing "like a G6" like it's something to be proud of driving! Note that this song came out right after the Feds took on GM... so, go do the math on how tight the relationship between the music industry magnates and DC really is.

These "anti-establishment" sissies today wouldn't know anti-establishment if it bit them in the ass... now this is anti-establishment and was a total "fuck you" to the establishment:

Clayton -

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sun, Oct 23 2011 7:48 AM

I know that fans of anything are also fans of hasty generalizations that use fresh small pieces of evidence to hold up larger theories, but I have to break it to you (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Like_a_G6):

Some believed it to be a reference to the Pontiac G6,[2] however, Kev Nish clarified that the G6 reference is to an airplane

Page 3 of 5 (177 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS