Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

*** October 2011 low content thread ***

rated by 0 users
This post has 176 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 312
Points 4,325
Chyd3nius replied on Sun, Oct 23 2011 9:48 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI9ZjjEtH4g&feature=player_embedded

Ron Paul endorses Free State Project.

-- --- English I not so well sorry I will. I'm not native speaker.
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Sun, Oct 23 2011 10:06 AM

Wheylous:
I found this funny:

Twenty bucks says the guy who screams "YEEEEAH" after Jon Huntsman's 2.1% is a Ron Paul supporter.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 659
Points 13,305
Gero replied on Sun, Oct 23 2011 10:58 AM

Ron Paul on Meet the Press today

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sun, Oct 23 2011 11:00 AM

This cracked me up (paraphrase):

Q: So there wouldn't be a substantial difference between Obama and Romney?

Ron Paul: Well, you first have to decide which Romney you're listening to, he's changed stances so many times.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 208
Points 3,410

SO here in New Mexico I guess you can take your 8000 tax dollars and use it for a charter school. A kind of school choice program I guess. Lately on the news, they have been talking about how Albuquerque Public Schools are being threatened by how many people are going to charter schools. One doesn't know whether to laugh or cry at the idiocy.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sun, Oct 23 2011 12:18 PM

We'll see what their version of Sharia law means:

http://news.yahoo.com/libyas-transitional-leader-declares-liberation-155513082.html

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Sun, Oct 23 2011 1:24 PM

@Wheylous: Believe it or not, I've actually read up on the subject and, no, I don't think he's telling the truth. There is another song that uses the exact same line "like a G6". There was speculation it was a reference to one of the Gulfstream jets but they don't make any airplane called a "G6" nor does any other manufacturer to my knowledge.

The timing was beyond fortuitous. In any case, we're talking about the Pontiac G6 and that was (I believe) the purpose.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Sun, Oct 23 2011 10:13 PM

This trailer is actually a bit cooler than the film itself, but it's still worth watching.  You can find it on Netflix streaming

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Mon, Oct 24 2011 8:52 PM

Speaking of Netflix:

Consumer power in capitalism

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Mon, Oct 24 2011 11:04 PM

video.php?v=wshhwhraM4UQ7MvsR60y

Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Gero:
Ron Paul on Meet the Press today

Man that jerkoff tried hard to make Paul look bad.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,288
Points 22,350

Everything I've seen of him suggests that he's some kind of New Deal window-breaker.  He clearly thinks that the government 'runs the economy', and that a lack of spending is the cause of the economic woes.  Thus he always opposes any suggestion of cutting spending/not raising taxes.

The Voluntaryist Reader: http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com/ Libertarian forums that actually work: http://voluntaryism.freeforums.org/index.php
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Tue, Oct 25 2011 8:50 AM

I used to think that he had a slight conservative bias last year (he seemed to give liberals a tougher time than conservatives). Yet it appears that he simply doesn't like Ron Paul.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 659
Points 13,305
Gero replied on Tue, Oct 25 2011 11:42 AM

Zombienomics

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 17
Points 340
Josh replied on Tue, Oct 25 2011 10:07 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHB2I83_N_k&feature=channel_video_title

Ron paul going crazy on TV. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Tue, Oct 25 2011 10:16 PM

bitbutter's critique of Molyneux's faux original idea...

"...this part of the book seems to be a repackaging of Hoppe's 'argumentation ethics'...."  ...which of course that narcissistic, Randian-esque IP-loving, faux anti-IP, jerkwad would deny until the cows come home.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Tue, Oct 25 2011 11:01 PM

So Elizabeth Warren, (of "the rest of us paid for" fame) is now claiming that she created 'much of the intellectual foundation' for Occupy Wall Street.

The Daily Beast:

Elizabeth Warren is running for office in the most high-profile race in the country not involving Barack Obama. It’s a position that calls for some tact. So what does she think about the Occupy Wall Street protests that are roiling the country?

“I created much of the intellectual foundation for what they do,” she says.

Lovely.

P.S.

Apparently Warren also created a little stink a short while back when debate moderators asked her to comment on [her Senate race opponent] Scott Brown’s decision to pose in Cosmopolitan magazine years ago to pay for college.  What was her response?  “I kept my clothes on” during college.

So Brown fired back, and his response is just awesome.  I'll let some feminist over at Time magazine tell you what he said...But it's even better than her clever headline.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Newt Gingrich thinks Congress should abolish courts that issue rulings it does not like. Rick Perry suggests it should simply vote to override their decisions....

Sacking the Courts

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,008
Points 19,520
Eric080 replied on Wed, Oct 26 2011 9:37 AM

I don't want to hijack the thread, but in reference to the link you posted in the August Low Content Thread, Walter Block's assumption that Molyneux doesn't "hate the state" is kind of silly.  I don't entirely agree with Molyneux's interpretation of Paul's candidacy, but come on.  The Reason editor wanted Paul to be more statist and Molyneux criticizes Paul for being too statist.

"And it may be said with strict accuracy, that the taste a man may show for absolute government bears an exact ratio to the contempt he may profess for his countrymen." - de Tocqueville
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Wed, Oct 26 2011 10:04 AM

Apparently it was Ron Paul himself who organized the "Black This Out" moneybomb as a response to not getting equal time in the debate the night before.

Why am I not surprised?...

"Claiming he did not speak for 40 minutes during the debate, Paul turned his gripe into a grab for funds by blasting supporters with a request to donate from October 19th to Monday at noon. [...] Rep. Paul brought in $2.75 million for his third presidential campaign during the moneybomb, named for the "blackout" he complained of following the debate."

You know, they make this out to be "a bitter old man tries to get his comeuppance"...anything to make him look bad...but to do that, they have to make it look like all Paul has to do is get a little perturbed and just all of a sudden raise $3 million on an hour's notice (the debate ended at 11pm ET, the moneybomb officially started at 12am).  There's just a bit of satisfaction in that.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Wed, Oct 26 2011 11:28 AM

Some local news that is amusing, "Norfolk Community Services Board executive director Maureen Womack is resigning from her position for a job in Kansas.

Womack discovered the phantom employee, Jill McGlone, who was paid for 12 years without showing up to work."

12 years without showing up to work?  What a champ!  I looked this up and I guess it's not uncommon that once a phantom employee is set up it can go unnoticed for a long time.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Wed, Oct 26 2011 11:37 AM

Reminds me of the guy who taught high school for 17 years without even being able to read.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Wed, Oct 26 2011 11:50 AM

Oh, man, should I blame the government schools for this tragedy or comedy?

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Wed, Oct 26 2011 12:06 PM

Well, did you read the article?  He was "educated" in them and subsequently allowed to teach in them (which would kind of make sense if you think about it)...so I'm not sure who else is more to blame.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Wed, Oct 26 2011 12:29 PM

Yeah, I guess that's the irony of it all.  You'd think they'd pick up on it or at least have the thought pass one of the teacher assistants mind's for a second.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Eric080:
I don't want to hijack the thread, but in reference to the link you posted in the August Low Content Thread, Walter Block's assumption that Molyneux doesn't "hate the state" is kind of silly.  I don't entirely agree with Molyneux's interpretation of Paul's candidacy, but come on.  The Reason editor wanted Paul to be more statist and Molyneux criticizes Paul for being too statist.

Not sure what any of that has to do with all the nonsense Molyneux spent an entire 35 minutes droning on about...nor the case I presented about him being a narcissistic annoyance with Ron Paul envy.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Wed, Oct 26 2011 8:03 PM

I feel like a few of his answers were weak (I only watched the shortened version, here is the full one):

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Wed, Oct 26 2011 8:58 PM

Dangit, being from Bulgaria this brought me to tears, knowing that such people actually do exist, and I can imagine the author's experiece as my own, because I've seen these old ladies selling flowers:

http://www.thefreemanonline.org/featured/when-safety-nets-fail/

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 271
Points 4,220
boniek replied on Thu, Oct 27 2011 3:39 AM

It is exactly the same in Poland.

"Your freedom ends where my feelings begin" -- ???
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Wheylous:
I feel like a few of his answers were weak:

The only real problems I saw was when he was trying to talk about financial controls and constraints on expatriation and simply didn't know enough specifics, and that smug asshole to his left kept pretending as if Paul was saying a physical wall would stop money from crossing the border.  I think it worked out fine when Paul finally broke down and just said "yeah and a wall never stopped illegal immigrants either."

I love the way it didn't take long for the aging Dracula face to start looking like he needed his nap.  By the second half of the show he looked like had already spent 3 hours in church and still had 2 more to go.

Overall I think Paul did quite well with some of the crap that was thrown in there...like "what area of foreign policy are you weakest in?"  I'm not sure anyone could have come up with a better answer on the spot like that. 

And I really love the way Paul came back with a specific name when that amateur on the far left thought he had him on a good one by asking who his Fed chairman would be.  Moron was "oh here's a guy who wants to get rid of the Fed, I'll totally trap him with this cuz no matter what it would be like he's endorsing it and he'll have to dance around and try to avoid answering.  It'll be awesome.  I'm such a good journalist."  And Paul takes a second, thinks, and without missing a beat "mmm.  Jim Grant, probably."  And there's about a 2 second pause where that guy has no clue how to repond.  I love it when idiotic plans like that don't work out.  I would pay money to see the footage of his reaction.  And as the icing on the cake Paul goes on to describe competing currencies and mention how it was Hayek's position and that loser automatically starts nodding his head as if he has the first clue of what Paul's talking about.

Perhaps you can change the link to the full interview?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Thu, Oct 27 2011 8:50 AM

Done.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Watch this at your own risk.

Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 430
alex3000 replied on Thu, Oct 27 2011 1:57 PM

This guy needs to be debated by someone from the Austrian school. Robert Murphy or?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-frSg-jfStw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g18weOYUiWM

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Thu, Oct 27 2011 2:15 PM

NBC has made his character a heel... but it's still funny as hell:

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

alex3000:

This guy needs to be debated by someone from the Austrian school. Robert Murphy or?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-frSg-jfStw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g18weOYUiWM

good to see Jan interviewing again.  It's pretty tough to promote yourself using footage from 20 years ago.  He should have moved on from the spending increase vs. share of gdp thing.  That was a really lame way to get him to walk out.  

I do love the guy's line though:

"Your logic is interesting...it's kind of the logic of uh...pre-Keynesian economics."

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Tom Woods via LRC Blog:

The Most Confused One Minute of All Time?

OK, you probably don't think you're all that interested in Herman Cain's views on abortion. But watch this one-minute video anyway. This is like a Saturday Night Live parody. I've heard of politicians trying to take both sides of an issue, but not in the same minute on the same show in front of the same audience.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 659
Points 13,305
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Fri, Oct 28 2011 10:07 AM

Peter Schiff on Michael Moore's version of "capitalism"

Page 4 of 5 (177 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS