Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Ron Paul Wins Latest Straw Poll, Media Accuses Its Fixed! = 10/9/11

rated by 0 users
This post has 17 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,028
Points 51,580
limitgov Posted: Sun, Oct 9 2011 9:04 PM

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20117696-503544.html?tag=strip

Wow...unbelievable.  It really is strange at just how scared the media is of Ron Paul winning the GOP nomination.

"Rep. Ron Paul scored a decisive victory Saturday in a mock presidential election at the Values Voter Summit, trouncing fellow Texan, Gov. Rick Perry, but an organizer of the straw poll suggested ballot-stuffing may have skewed the results.

In a press conference following the announcement of the straw poll results at the annual Washington gathering of social conservatives, Family Research Council President Tony Perkins all but dismissed the results as irrelevant, citing 600 people who registered Saturday morning and, he said, "left after Ron Paul spoke."

A total of 1,983 ballots were cast. "You do the math," Perkins said."

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

So people showing up specifically to vote for a candidate they support is "a fix". 

Call me naive, but I kind of thought that's what elections were all about.  We're saying results were "skewed" because people who supported a certain candidate made it a point to go cast their vote, and told their friends and neighbors to do the same?  Is that what happened in 2008?  Obama didn't really win the election, he just "severely skewed the results" because his supporters decided to "flood the polls"?

Am I missing something?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 208
Points 3,410

Haha yea democracy is be all and end all until you don't like the results, eh?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

limitgov:
Wow...unbelievable.  It really is strange at just how scared the media is of Ron Paul winning the GOP nomination.

I used to not believe that the claim that the media is "fixing" results to get Paul out of the picture was rediculous, but this is disgustingly obvious. Paul wins the California straw poll and the media pretends it didn't happen; Cain wins a Florida (aka just a HUGE state- despite it having half the population of California) straw poll and, all of a sudden, there's a new "front runner."

What's going on here?!

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

Well California is not really going to go Republican. 

'Men do not change, they unmask themselves' - Germaine de Stael

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

To OP:

Obviously you missed the point of the straw poll. The voters were meant to stay there even after the results were in, even after the politicians left. This is the new ground for the Occupy Wallstreet movement....duh. It is not as if people had stuff to do rather then sit around a convention hall all day.

'Men do not change, they unmask themselves' - Germaine de Stael

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

ThatOldGuy:

I used to not believe that the claim that the media is "fixing" results to get Paul out of the picture was rediculous, but this is disgustingly obvious. Paul wins the California straw poll and the media pretends it didn't happen; Cain wins a Florida (aka just a HUGE state- despite it having half the population of California) straw poll and, all of a sudden, there's a new "front runner."

What's going on here?!

Speaking of the Florida poll:

1) Herman Cain was the only person on the ballot who was even at that event (except for maybe Huntsman).  And Cain even gave a speech.

2) Being a delegate cost $175 and your name was picked randomly from a list of Republicans that knew enough about the Fl Straw poll to pre-register for the chance to be a delegate.

and finally...

3) It must be pretty easy to win a poll without a lot of legitimate support when a single volunteer can cast 20 votes...and doesn't even have to pay the delegate fee.  Oh you didn't hear?  That's how Romney won last time.  (Funny how the only straw poll where that kind of activity is reported is one of the only ones Ron Paul can't seem to win.  If things were so stacked the way Hannity and co. want to claim they are, wouldn't it be the other way around?)

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

John James:
3) It must be pretty easy to win a poll without a lot of legitimate support when a single volunteer can cast 20 votes...and doesn't even have to pay the delegate fee.  Oh you didn't hear?  That's how Romney won last time.  (Funny how the only straw poll where that kind of activity is reported is one of the only ones Ron Paul can't seem to win.  If things were so stacked the way Hannity and co. want to claim they are, wouldn't it be the other way around?)

I did NOT know that. How can someone not pay a delegate fee- is being a volunteer different from being selected at random?

This is absurd- " Mitt Romney bought himself a victory in the straw poll for Republicans at a rain-shortened barbecue in Vinoy Park." - So Romney pulled a Bachmann? Reminds me of the political machines from Gangs of New York...

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 223
Points 5,335

Andrew Cain:

Well California is not really going to go Republican. 

I could see California going for Paul, in that his war views would win over a lot of Democrats and the Republicans would vote for him because he's not Obama.

Yes, I am a huge Dodgers fan.

Anti-state since I learned about the Cuban Revolution and why my dad had to flee the country.

Beer, Guns and Baseball My blog

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,008
Points 19,520
Eric080 replied on Mon, Oct 10 2011 6:27 AM

Well the public doesn't delve too deeply into the process like John James just did.  All they hear on the news is "Candidate X won a big-time straw poll!  They must have momentum!"  They say this about every candidate....Except Ron Paul, who blows everyone away in unofficial polling.  Even though other candidates can do the exact same thing, they don't get painted with this brush.

On the other hand, I think they want their poll to be an accurate representation of the coming trends, so they can't stand Ron Paul for winning.  But is any straw poll ever really that accurate?  The whole point of straw polls is that it is unofficial and usually the best-organized candidate will win it.

"And it may be said with strict accuracy, that the taste a man may show for absolute government bears an exact ratio to the contempt he may profess for his countrymen." - de Tocqueville
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,008
Points 19,520
Eric080 replied on Mon, Oct 10 2011 6:30 AM

I also won't begrudge the campaign and its followers for still trying to spread the message, but, for me anyway, it seems like his candidacy has hit a standstill.  I think anybody who is open to Paul's message has already heard it.  The other conservative boobs who vote in these primaries are not interested in reasoned thoughts because if they were, they wouldn't support Rick Perry.

The only way I think Ron Paul cracks 20% in these primaries is if things get really bad the way Ron Paul said they were going to get bad and people wise up.

"And it may be said with strict accuracy, that the taste a man may show for absolute government bears an exact ratio to the contempt he may profess for his countrymen." - de Tocqueville
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Mon, Oct 10 2011 9:03 AM

if things get really bad the way Ron Paul said they were going to get bad and people wise up.

You mean like they did?

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,008
Points 19,520
Eric080 replied on Mon, Oct 10 2011 9:31 AM

If things get even worse.

Not Ranked
Posts 65
Points 1,390

John James do you have a twitter? I like to follow intelligent people.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Mon, Oct 10 2011 4:22 PM

Haha,danbeaulieu, that's how I feel. he posts a lot on these forums. I assume he'd be against twitter, as those are one-liners that do not allow for analysis and deeper consideration. Essentially, it perpetuates the fallacious one-liners of the state. Of course, it's not the only thing it does.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

danbeaulieu:
John James do you have a twitter? I like to follow intelligent people.

:-)  No, I actually do not.  I'm not against it, just never got into it.  I do have a website in the works, which I can mention here when it's up to par.  But for now most of my online presence is here.  You can always go to my profile (or any post, I guess) and click on the "number of posts" link and see and list of all the latest ones.  That's really the only way I know of to keep up with anyone in this kind of forum.

Thanks for your interest!

Not Ranked
Posts 65
Points 1,390

Understandable.

Also I agree with the previous poster that substantive ideas cannot be posted with the character limitations in twitter. However, headlines and links serve to connect one to substance.

Take Care

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Mon, Oct 10 2011 5:36 PM

I have a NAME, thank you!

Just kidding, I'm Odysseus :P

But yes, you do have a point about links, though forums allow for better discussion.

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS