Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Occupy Wall Street group vs. John Lewis

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855
ThatOldGuy Posted: Tue, Oct 11 2011 4:14 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QZlp3eGMNI

Anyone else reminded of Murray Rothbard's "Egalitarianism as a Revolt Against Human Nature"?

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Tue, Oct 11 2011 7:03 PM

I was actually wondering, what is the technical term for that type of public speech/parliamentary procedure? Is that some neo-marxist practice or is it older? 

Also, lol

Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855

I'd call it "call and repeat." I don't think it belongs to any specific political philosophy though, haha. They look rediculous. These people scare the heck outta me.

If I had a cake and ate it, it can be concluded that I do not have it anymore. HHH

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 198
Points 3,100
jay replied on Tue, Oct 11 2011 9:47 PM

That video reminds me of a traveling musician that used to come to my grade school and hold assemblies. Bizarre and ineffective.

"The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -C.S. Lewis
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

What the hell is up with that echospeak?  Like a bunch of robots.  Not to mention by the time you get done with a statement everyone's already forgotten what you (and they) have said.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 806
Points 12,855
ThatOldGuy replied on Tue, Oct 11 2011 10:05 PM

I like the 1984 vocab haha. Yes- it's creepy (jazz hands just so I can get a temp? Not a vote on the validity of the statement...) That's the video that led me to the one in the OP.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 508
Points 8,570
  • What the hell is up with that echospeak?  Like a bunch of robots.

It started at the NYC protests because the city didn't allow the use of megaphones or sound amplifying equipment.  It was kind of an ingenous way of getting around it and allowing people to speak to a large group.  However, as you can see they still use it at protests where you CAN use megaphones and such, so it does make them seem a lot like robotic drones.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Yeah they did it the whole time the hippie with the megaphone was talking.  That's why initially I figured it was some idiotic way to show "solidarity" or to illustrate their idea that "everyone is the same" (so what one person says, they all say...which of course would beg the question why they're so up in arms when demands are posted on OWS forums.)  But yeah, it wasn't until the random guy in the crowd started talking that I recognized it could also be used as a clever way to make sure everyone could hear what was being said...but of course the vast majority of the time, the guy getting repeated was using a bullhorn anyway.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 69
Points 1,050
J.R.M. replied on Thu, Oct 13 2011 12:19 AM

It's a creepy display of the collective mindset.  not just the repeating, but the way in which "decisions" were made. 

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS