Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

A model of the liberty message...this is what you can be

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James Posted: Mon, Oct 17 2011 11:41 PM

This is an excellent piece.  The guy has certainly done his homework, on policy as well as people.  He's managed to compile the arguments into a coherent framework for relaying the message in a comprehensive way to newcomers. That may actually be the hardest part for Paul supporters...knowing where to start and how to communicate. I think many have come to learn so much that they don't know how to direct the conversation and sometimes end up getting walked over with "well what about x?" questions.

This guy has been able to construct a nice setup that anyone can use to structure their appeal in such a way that will not only resonate with outsiders, but also will allow them to maintain a hold on the conversation so as not to have the listener derail it.

Granted, he does make a minarchist argument, so if you're a voluntarist you may have to change the wording a bit and not say things like "government should", and leave out the unfounded parts about anarchism he borrowed from the John Birch Society if you want to remain completely honest...but at the same time there's nothing wrong with advocating minimizing the state, as that's obviously the pathway to eliminating it.  And it is also the most effective.

It starts a bit slow, but getting into the meat of it you'll see a definitely useful outline you can use to structure your own appeal...

2 Degrees of Separation: A Plane Ride Next to a Top Congressional Staffer for a Major Party Leader

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Tue, Oct 18 2011 6:12 AM

I know this is off-topic, but oh man did I LOL at all the black-out stuff. I just might donate to Ron Paul's campaign on that alone.

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Tue, Oct 18 2011 8:31 AM

Just saw this in Google News: Rep. Paul Proposes $1T Spending Cut Plan

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.