Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Ghaddafi is dead: Even Saddam got a trial edition

rated by 0 users
This post has 20 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
DanielMuff Posted: Fri, Oct 21 2011 1:04 AM

So, Ghaddafi and at least one of his sons were killed by people warring on behalf, or at least financed by, the USA government. Assuming that Ghaddafi is actually dead, or living in a in cottage on an remote mountain after being paid off to leave or paying not to be killed in exchange for leaving, what's next? Is the invasion of Syria next, like Lindsey Williams' sources say?

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Fri, Oct 21 2011 1:09 AM

My sources to news seem to be Facebook (and this forum), but I also happen to have a local news station's page added, and I saw an article posted about the suspicion that Ghaddafi is dead.  No big deal it seems, just another leader pushed out the way.  Hell, I don't think anyone I know is aware of this.  I assume we'll set up democracy held up with our money and try to elect one of "our guys".

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Muammar_Gaddafi

(and even though they say WIkipedia is as accurate as Britannica, and more accurate that a lot of mainstream news on science topics, I tend to lend it even more credibility when it comes to stuff like this.)

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Fri, Oct 21 2011 1:55 AM

Let's take a look at some of the more negative comments from Wiki:

ZimbabweCairo Mhandu, a member of the Zimbabwean Parliament with President Robert Mugabe's ruling Zimbabwe African National Union – Patriotic Front (ZANU-PF) party, expressed grief over Gaddafi's death. "This is a sad day for the people of Africa... Muammar Gaddafi won elections and was a true leader. It is foreigners who toppled him, not Libyans. Gaddafi died fighting. He is a true African hero." Mhandu called the former leader's downfall "the beginning of a new recolonisation of Africa". Others in the Zimbabwean journalism industry and on the Zimbabwean streets were less sympathetic, with many expressing happiness at the event.

Venezuela - President Hugo Chávez told the AFP "We shall remember Gaddafi our whole lives as a great fighter, a revolutionary and a martyr. They assassinated him. It is another outrage."

Well, that's it.  Everything else is positive that a dictator is taken out of power.  It's one of those things where I agree with the sentiment from Western countries, that a dictator is down, and I read how people in the Middle East are very ecstatic about it, but being realistic about it I can't help to think it'll be more of the same.  This leads me to the comment above, another recolonisation of Africa, I find this likely with democracy.  One the other hand Chavez is an idiot.

Edit: I keep catching myself equating Libya with the Middle East, but besides cultural similarities (language and religion) it is strikingly odd another oil rich country with brown people (as Carlin said, we love to bomb brown people) becomes a target of our government.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

You've seen this, right?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,485
Points 22,155
Kakugo replied on Fri, Oct 21 2011 6:14 AM

I still remember last year when every single European leader was genuflecting and kissing his feet... lending credence to that phrase from Kissinger "It's much better being our enemy than our friend". I am sure Fidel Castro and General Giap (who just turned 100) agree wholeheartedly.

Libya was a trial for the wars to come: it cost relatively little (at least compared to Afghanistan and Iraq) and local militias bore the blunt of the casualties. No need to hide the flag-wrapped caskets or the crippled veterans. No need to maintain a massive occupation army. The proganda machine worked perfectly hiding from the casual viewer the depth of NATO involvement.

So what's next? It doesn't really matter because the ultimate prize is always the same: Iran.

Together we go unsung... together we go down with our people
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Fri, Oct 21 2011 10:11 AM

I posted this on FB and my friend comments:

"It was UK forces. The claims of US forces assisting in the Gadaffi takedown are false, we have had no role in the libyan struggle except news coverage and claims of assistance [emphasis mine]. Th UK and France were the only nations providing firearms and extra forces.

Also: even at that, No UK or France forces were involved in the actual takedown of Gadaffi, a NATO drone followed the caravan and a NATO warplane dropped one bomb on it Gadaffi, not being in the caravan was discovered by Libyan rebels in a sewage pipe under a six lane highway in Sirte."

Uh?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,485
Points 22,155
Kakugo replied on Fri, Oct 21 2011 12:51 PM

Your FB friend (different from RF friend) probably forgot the opening shots of the war were fired by the US, in the form of a storm of Tomahawk cruise missiles launched from 6th Fleet vessels and air attacks by B2 Spirit bombers. CIA "operatives" were on the ground to provide intelligence and Predator drones were in the skies (one is supposed to have spotted Khadafi's convoy yesterday). Also, according to the US Navy, the war has been used to test the new EA18 Growler electronic warfare aircraft. That's hardly "news coverage and claims of assistance". wink

And let's not forget that Strike Eagle which crashed following engine malfunctions whose crew, contrary to intial media reports, had to be rescued by a US SAR team (flying the controversial Osprey tiltrotor craft) instead of the "friendly" and "efficient" NTC troops.

Together we go unsung... together we go down with our people
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Fri, Oct 21 2011 1:07 PM

Well, having known him for over 10 years I can say he's a dumbass.  It was just the type of arrogance that's paraded around from such people when they try to give a rebuttle that you know is false, and when I'm told to watch the news more.  I don't know what they put up on Fox News and MSNBC, but whatever it is it must be retarded as hell.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Since we're off-topic now, anyone else can't wait till Battlefield 3 comes out?

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 443
Points 9,245

Daniel Muffinburg:
Since we're off-topic now, anyone else can't wait till Battlefield 3 comes out?

Pumped beyond all belief.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

"Pumped beyong all belief."

I'm pre-downloading it right now on Origin, running around my apartment with a combat helmet on listening to this

http://youtu.be/VEJ8lpCQbyw

Seriously how do you post videos? There use to be an icon for it. 

'Men do not change, they unmask themselves' - Germaine de Stael

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Andrew Cain:

"Pumped beyong all belief."

I'm pre-downloading it right now on Origin, running around my apartment with a combat helmet on listening to this

http://youtu.be/VEJ8lpCQbyw

PC? WHY!!!!!!! PS3 FTW!!!!11 Get it for PS3 for we can play together against others in a libertarian fashion. In other words, we won't snipe opponents unless they shoot at us first.

Yes, there was.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,008
Points 16,185

Andrew Cain:

Click here

My Blog: http://www.anarchico.net/

Production is 'anarchistic' - Ludwig von Mises

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 443
Points 9,245

There's a video of Gaddafi's last moments as he's being dragged away to an unknown location. It ends shortly before he was shot and killed.

I would've been terrified if I were him. No wonder why Hitler had his body burned.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 132
Points 1,890

I am downloading BF3 right now. PC yes

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Blueline976:

There's a video of Gaddafi's last moments as he's being dragged away to an unknown location. It ends shortly before he was shot and killed.

I would've been terrified if I were him. No wonder why Hitler had his body burned.

I think it could have been a body double. I find it convenient that, after the Osama debacle, there is a video that clearly shows Ghadaffi's face.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 443
Points 9,245

Daniel Muffinburg:
I think it could have been a body double. I find it convenient that, after the Osama debacle, there is a video that clearly shows Ghadaffi's face.

Well, funny how we get immediate documentation when Obama has nothing to do with it :P

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 266
Points 4,040

Anyone else think that it looked liek they ripped out his eyes?

Syria....maybe... but don't forget we're "advising" in Uganda right now. Remember back in the 60's we were "advising" vietnam"? And then we had to "protect" the "advisors"? Could happen in Uganda.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 470
Points 7,025
Vitor replied on Fri, Oct 21 2011 6:33 PM

The whole thing really reminded me of V for Vendetta that we only see Adam Sutler almighty on big screens, but when we finally see him personally, he is hurt and pissing his pants of fear.

Page 1 of 1 (21 items) | RSS